What does it mean when a rabbit licks you?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a sign of affection. It means true bunny love. Mutual grooming means that bunnies have bonded and if your bun does this to you....you have a special relationship with this bunny indeed. I have only ever had this with 2 of my 10 bunnies. 1 of my current 5. She is a 14 month old mini lol and regularly mutually grooms me and my hair after or before I give her attention. She is also a bit of a Prima Donna and if she doesn't receive the right amount of at the right time, she can give a little nip to show her displeasure. :/ or just simply stomp off and show me the feet....
LOL The infamous foot flick. We don't see it often but when we do we know we've been "bad". (Usually get it after nail trims.)

Bunnies don't need salt licks

Generally, I agree. Most pellets contain enough, but some bunnies do occasionally need salt. I have one rabbit that would randomly chew on walls, not corners, but straight into the wall board. I literally paneled half the house to prevent it. Then he began chewing the door paint. One day something salty fell to the floor and he went bonkers for it, and I realized that his chewing was a craving for minerals. I offer him a salt/mineral block a few days a week and now he never chews walls or paint. I only wish I'd realized sooner what the issue was.

I have to limit his access to the block or he will overdo it, but he seems to need at least some salt/mineral supplementation.

My boy will also lick me, or anyone else on that part, outrageously until our clothes have wet grooming marks on them. He randomly licks pillows and beds and etc. etc...

He will lower his head when i get to petting him, and if i play around with\massage his hind quarters\feet he will really lick ANYTHING in front of him. His lickiness intensifids and then he flees.

I guess he enjoys it up to some point and hates the rest?

When i have something tasty in my hands or mouth, he'll lick, paw and nudge at me, trying to get to the good bits i may give. When i won't, he'll stand up, sniff me and then give me a rabbit kiss straight on the lips, tickling me with his tongue and whiskers.

I find that a very weird and amusing way to try and be attractive.. haha

licking is a sign of affection in most cases so he could just be saying "I love you!" but no they don't need to lick salt unless there is a vitamin deficiency, which I don't think he has! He is probably just showing that he likes you!

Latest posts

Back