What do you use in your potty?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billythebun

Reaction score
Hi!
Currently, I use carefresh in Billy's potty but it is very expensive and I feel like there must be a better, cheaper option. I have to change it every day so I have to buy A LOT of care fresh. I like it because it is very absorbent so it makes the potty much easier to clean, and also much more pleasant for him.
I was just wondering what other people use for their potty, and if anybody had any ideas.
Thanks in advance!

Wood pellets (different from wood shavings). I first learned about wood pellets here on RO. They can be found at hardware stores, sold as fuel for wood pellet stoves; OR at feed stores, sold as horse bedding.

It is not only the cheapest litter I have found, but it is also the best (imo) at odor absorption. A 40 lb bag may cost about $4. With 2 rabbits, it would last about 2+ months.

If it is used with hay, it can go a full week (1 rabbit) before needing to be changed. You can read here about how I maintain it.

upload_2018-10-25_9-31-40.png

upload_2018-10-25_9-33-7.png

I personally use back2nature but that’s pretty expensive too! I know a lot of members on here use wood stove pellets, so pretty cheap and really absorbent so you shouldn’t need to change it every day.

I probably don't need to change the carefresh everyday because it is very absorbent, I just feel bad haha. Thank you, that was a very thorough answer :) I live in the UK, but I will definately and see about the wood pellets. Thanks!!

I use Petspick kiln dried pine from Walmart--very absorbent, easy to dump out of pan, and not very expensive. Kiln drying removes the phenols from the pine shavings making it safe for all pets big and small. NEVER use anything Cedar as even drying doesn't remove all the phenols and its only safe for very large animals.

I also use wood pellets, but put regular bedding on top of it; my rabbits don't seem to like sitting on just the wood pellets. It's a mix of economy and comfort :)

Wood pellets are around $5 for 40 lbs here, and I order bedding from Small Pet Select (3 large bags are $100 and lasts a long time).

I can't seem to find wood pellets at hardware stores? Maybe it is because I am in the UK... I am trying to see where I can get wood pellets from though.
We also don't have walmart here... so I can't get the Petspick litter either...!

It doen't have to be Petspick, just kiln dried. I order it online and it gets delivered directly to me. Se if there is any place that sells pellet stoves for heating and they will have pellets. We also use shredded newspaper (by hand) in some of the boxes as they love to play in it and also take care of business in the same pans.

I use the wooden pellets (made for horses) from Tractor Supply for Bugs. I cover the litter with hay completely

Latest posts

Back