What do you use in your litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby Kyhos

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions

I usually use recycled paper pellet litter, but with 6 rabbits its expensive.

I have tried paper in the bottom of the tray but the rabbitsdont like it

Any other suggestions?

Wood pellet bedding is the best I've found at absorbing urine and controlling odor, and is usually less than $6 for a 40lb bag. Farm stores sell it as horse bedding, home improvement stores sell it as wood pellets for stoves(plain, I prefer the soft wood ones like pine). This link has info on the best way to set up a litter box.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

We use wood pellets too, but being Estonia, there is no tractor supply store or any equine bedding sold like that, so we have to get 7l small bags for 4€ or something. We will hopefully be switching to plain stove pellets since they seemed to work equally fine.

I use a pee pad with hay on top and change twice a day am and pm. But I feel like I throw away a lot of soiled hay. I have never tried the pellets. I think I will after reading all of this post. Wondering how often do you change your litter box if you use pellets? And when it says “refresh your hay” do you just add in a handful of hay periodically or swap out old hay for new?

@Rhiannon55 I change the litter with the pellets maybe once every 3-4 days (it could possibly last longer but if I don’t clean it for any longer my rabbits won’t use it so I just found that every 3-4 days works best for me). It depends, if you mean for litter then it could probably be used the same way as pellets (although I’ve never used hay for litter so I don’t know), completely changing the litter every few days. For food, you can just add some on top unless the hay is soiled but if that happens a lot, you can use a hay feeder. I’d definitely recommend the pellets especially because you have to change the hay twice a day.

Wondering how often do you change your litter box if you use pellets? And when it says “refresh your hay” do you just add in a handful of hay periodically or swap out old hay for new?

It can last 1 week with one rabbit. Half that with two rabbits.

Just add hay directly on top of what is there. The 'old' hay serves as a sieve to allow the urine down to the pellets below.

My site explains the maintenance of such a setup and has a troubleshooting section for it as well:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.html

I use paper pellets and hay in my buns litter box. The back 1/3 is a pellet layer with hay over that and I fill the front with just hay. His litter box gets washed and changed out daily. My bun has never had an accident in almost 3 years. He's faithful to his litter box.

Latest posts

Back