What do you think?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vosify

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to adopt a Flemmish Giant that appeared at a shelter 3 hours from where I live. I can fully care for and get him fixed. He's roughly 1 and a half years old. So I can get him fixed as soon as he settles and is given a clean bill of health.

My only issue. I have Nevada.
http://nevadanickels.tumblr.com/

She's my 3 month old flemmy. Im worried getting an un altered male and having him in the same room (different cage) might alter her temperament. I just dont want to upset her. And the fact that she's not old enough to fix yet. Once he's fixed I know what entails in the bonding process and I'm not to worried about that. I just dont want her stressed.

I also have never gotten a rabbit fixed and have heared the 'horror' stories. I would feel more confortable getting another rabbit fixed first before taking Nevada. She means so much to me and I just dont think I could handle her dieing because of a choice I made.

I'm just trying to weigh my options and decide whats best for him and her. Once they are both fixed I'd love to begin their bonding and hopefully have them together.

But Im just not convinced it may be the best move right now.

You bring up very good points and it is good you are thinking this through. You sound like a very caring bunny slave :)

First of all, getting a rabbit fixed is actually no more riskier than any other animal getting fixed. The keynis finding a rabbit savvy vet. Once you do, I think you may be more comfortable with the process. That is how I was. I was SO nervous about spaying my Agnes and thought it to be so risky when after I talked to my vet and everyone on RO, I found out that wasn't the case. Her surgery went very smooth.

As far as it changing her temperament. I wouldn't say it would change her core personality but you may see reactions from her and him too. Alot of the time they start poop wars, haha. Which means they sense and smell another rabbit in their territory so they mark their areas with droppings. When I brought my male home, when they were in seperate cages they did this. LOTS of poop.

If the male is not yet altered, he could start spraying which could be a mess.

And any other reactions will be unique to your buns. Sometimes things go smoothly, sometimes there is some stress to the rabbits. It just depends on how they take it.

Now, with that being said, I do believe that rabbits enjoy having a mate of their own kind. My bonding process was very enjoyable. My two never even had one tiny fight and now they are in love and it warms my heart everyday to see them enjoy each others company so much. So I very much believe in the positivity rabbits get from having a friend. So as far as your situation, you'd have to decide if you want to deal with getting them both fixed and keeping them separated that long before you bond. It can take 6-8 weeks just for the hormones to completely dissipate so that might be a long wait to keep them seperate. Not impossible by any means but something to consider. Agnes was spayed for a few months before I brought Archie home and he was already neutered.

Anyway, sorry to ramble that's lots of info! Since I just bonded my two in October I did alot of research on it so lots to talk about.

Let me know what you decide to do or if you have any other questions! Good luck! It's exciting getting a new bun to love :)

I had a male rabbit Bugsy and then got a female rabbit a few months after Oreo, both unaltered. They were housed in seperate cages but side by side. I never had any problems at all. The set up actually helped them bond. I got the female spayed and I was so scared, because of these horror stories you mention. She did wonderfully. It was sad to see her that way for the first day or so but once she started feeling better it was just a bald spot on her belly and everything was good, I think the experience actually made our bond stronger, I spoiled her so much!! I never did get a chance to neuter my male and fully bond them, but we got close.

Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you decide

As far as it changing her temperament. I wouldn't say it would change her core personality but you may see reactions from her and him too. Alot of the time they start poop wars, haha. Which means they sense and smell another rabbit in their territory so they mark their areas with droppings. When I brought my male home, when they were in seperate cages they did this. LOTS of poop.

Mine had different reactions to eachother, one will go to the others' cage and thump and the other one poops all over her cage.

Is there a way that he can be altered before he comes home? That way, it will be somewhat easier on you and Nevada since I'm sure she can sense an unaltered buck more over an unaltered one.

Just as Lisa said, spaying is actually pretty routine. I would say as long as your bunny is healthy and has a good immune system she will be fine. (I was so worried when spaying mine since I did not have ANY history on her as a stray.)

Best of luck in what you decide and I'm sure it will be a great decision regardless!

If you really want him you should get him. The only problem I can really see is the fact that he is an intact male that is well matured, so chances are when he is put in room with a young female he is going to get extremely messy. Spraying is really gross. They can spray up really high and far. I've gotten it in the face before and seen it nearly go as high as the ceiling. It smells really bad and I found it hard to wash off the walls, floor, curtains, clothes etc. Plus he'll probably be like a poop machine. I'd have his neuter booked the day I get him.

My bucks and does live in the same area (housed separately, of course) with little issue. My bucks tend to be more territorial (spraying, marking) around other bucks than with the does.

one thing to consider re: getting a friend for her now is that she's still a baby and neither is fixed so play-dates aren't an option - if for some reason they don't get along after they're both fixed and the hormones have died down, are you prepared to house two bunns separately for the rest of their lives?

one thing to consider re: getting a friend for her now is that she's still a baby and neither is fixed so play-dates aren't an option - if for some reason they don't get along after they're both fixed and the hormones have died down, are you prepared to house two bunns separately for the rest of their lives?

Thats a great question! I can house them seperatly. I don't want to, but that I can do.

Thank you everyone who gave me some insight and advice.

I have very little time to decide because his hold date has went over at the shelter and the lady has sent out a plea for someone to foster or adopt him asap. She has gotten very little interest.

Which baffles me because according to her, he is the sweetest boy ever. It's just a small town shelter that can't hold alot of animals. So she has taken him home but her son is allergic.

I made the decision to go get him tomorrow night, she was willing to drive him half way for me so I didn't have to do the 3 hour drive late at night.
As soon as I'm done work I'm going to get to work building his cage so it's ready when he gets home.

Also another option is to get him fixed as a 'foster' if he doesnt work out at all, I know I could find him a good home one day. Until then I can give him that second chance.

are you taking him in as a foster then? I was just going to suggest that... would be a nice way to take him for a trial run :)

Well congrats and please do keep us all updated! Best of luck with your new addition!

Great that you´ve really thought this through and all I would agree with all the advice you´ve received. I definitely would get him neutered as my Houdini used to spray incredible distances and heights and, at some time, I will need to repaint the wall behind his cage as it go really stained. It is actually much easier to clean the cage as well as it doesn´t get half a dirty. It is a simple op as I had my three done in October; they were in and out in half a day and recovered in a couple of days. It was more that I was scared to let them get back to normal than they were ready. I know that it´s a bit more complicated for the females but everything I´ve read on here tells me that they recover fine as well.

Hope you can bond the two of them when they´ve been done and will look forward to hearing more news about both.

Late reply guys, sorry!

Ok so Lion (what the women's son named the rabbit) Is now in foster care with a friend of hers. I agreed to pay for him to get fixed and she will hold onto him. So I don't have to bring him home unaltered! :D
But I have fallin in love with him and really can't wait to get him home!

Thank`s everyone for the support! RO is a great place :3

1zvbq5i.jpg

His ears are pretty tattered. :( And he was obviously housed outside, look at his winter coat! haha

Guess what!!!

The closest rabbit savvy vet was none other but where I live! So I have adopted Arizona Lion!

His date to get fixed is the 3rd. But I have him right beside Nevada, shes doing the poop war already. They cant see each other but can smell. Lion started 'chuffing' almost like a tiger at Nevada. it was really neet. I let them sniff nose to nose once and they were fine.

He has a good 5 weeks before they can be together. But oh well, Ill switch each day for who comes to work with me.

He looks great and it´s good that the first meeting was OK. It will be much better if he´s already done before you take him home. There´s nothing messier than a bun that sprays. I never realised how far or how high they can make it go and my boy is really small. I still have to repaint the walls where his cage is as I could never get rid of the stains.

I´m sure that they´ll get on famously and there´s nothing nicer than watching two buns interacting..I could spend hours just sitting and observing everything they do from grooming, playing, chasing and eating. I marvel every day at so many things I learn about them and about their complicated personalities.

Look forward, at some point, to seeing the happy couple.

I already have him at home, Nevada is not there alot (she comes to work with me everyday.) So far they are fine and I have yet to have him spray.

I've read that Flemmies hardly spray (Anythings possible though)

He has lots of wire mesh sores on his feet. And ripped ears and bite wounds. The vet says's its either a small dog or cat bites, not rabbit since it is canine punctures.
I have two of the four punctures draining, but they are atleast a few days old because they already scabbed. So far they have not infected thank god. The vet figures he'll be healthy enough in a few weeks to get fixed. He also has a slight congetion in his lungs, but the vet assured me with antibiotics it should clear right up.

Last edited:
aww, poor guy! sounds like he was really mistreated at his previous home :(. I'm glad he's finally going to get to live with someone who will take wonderful care of him and give him a great life!

He's found a place in my heart for sure. He's a gentle giant and doesnt seem scared of people or dogs (I found a german shepherd and took her home for the night. Im good with dog training so I knew the dog was fine with the buns) He didn't even mind at all, and he's relaxed almost right away! Nevada my younger girl hasn't changed, she's still being herself. Out of the two I know she will be dominate, but I don't think he will mind.

When bonding comes around Ill take it easy. I dont want any fights at all, that is the goal haha

Latest posts

Back