What do you need for bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say a minimum of 2 weeks in the side-by-side pens in the 'other' neutral territory. You will probably be the best one to make that determination as you observe them over the 2 weeks.

The immersion method time can vary wildly. I would be reading over the following link (again and again -- that's me, anyway):
https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/You'll want to be ultra sure they are bonded well in that secondary neutral space before moving them into her old territory.

Since @EllieBelle is also about to start bonding, just wanted to mention that the two of you may have similar or may have polar opposite experiences with bonding. It really can be so incredibly different per rabbit and per bond. All the best laid plans may not prevent two rabbits from refusing to bond. So neither of you should feel like you're doing something wrong if things don't go as smoothly as it may with the other.

I've had the experience where 2 rabbits were instantly bonded the first day with no effort on my part. I've also had some that refused to bond (and some in between). So one never knows until everything is in process.
Thank you @Blue eyes ! I'll admit, I am a little afraid that Ellie may not take to him very well. But fingers crossed and lots of patience on my end hopefully will help:)

Properly bonded would be when they go a few days without fighting?

Once they go a few days without fighting, they are just starting to finally form a bond and it is still a delicate bond. I would be sure they've gone at least a full week beyond the time when you think they are bonded to let that bond solidify. Remember that moving them to their new permanent location will be quite the test of their bond so you want it as solid as you can.

Once they go a few days without fighting, they are just starting to finally form a bond and it is still a delicate bond. I would be sure they've gone at least a full week beyond the time when you think they are bonded to let that bond solidify. Remember that moving them to their new permanent location will be quite the test of their bond so you want it as solid as you can.
That makes sense to me. Once they have a good-ish bond like going a week without fighting, I’ll thoroughly clean the troom with vinegar spray or a cleaning product?

It’s official, I’m getting a second rabbit. I’m still looking for one but I’ve put an application out for one. I was planning on going to a shelter to bond them but my mum thought it’d be a better idea for me to do it , and get ‘the right experience’.

What would I need to bond them?

I’ve got an exercise pen that will go in a part of my house that none of the rabbits have been in. And I have a new litter box.

What else do I need? Like gloves?

Thank you in advance 😁
I would strongly advise against this. Far, far better to adopt a bunny from a rescue centre where they do the bonding for you. If you want experience, you could volunteer at a rescue. You are very lucky you live in a country where we have excellent rescue centres that do the bonding for you. It is madness not to take advantage of that. Think about how you will feel if either bunny gets hurt or you end up not being able to bond them.

I would strongly advise against this. Far, far better to adopt a bunny from a rescue centre where they do the bonding for you. If you want experience, you could volunteer at a rescue. You are very lucky you live in a country where we have excellent rescue centres that do the bonding for you. It is madness not to take advantage of that. Think about how you will feel if either bunny gets hurt or you end up not being able to bond them.
Oh okay. The rescue that I applied to adopt from was BlueCross, and I don’t think they do the bonding for you. I was looking at RRR in Hertfordshire but didn’t find a rabbit that I fell in love with or thought would suit our home. I’ve only seen one other place that will bond rabbits, they were not a rescue but they had very good reviews, sadly they were very expensive, charging £300 for three weeks or something like that. My parents would never agree to and I couldn’t save an additional £300, not for a long time at least. If you could recommend any good rescues or services that will bond my bunnies, I’d greatly appreciate it and will definitely have a look at them. That’s very unfortunate that I shouldn’t do it myself, but that’s alright. Thank you! 😊

Oh okay. The rescue that I applied to adopt from was BlueCross, and I don’t think they do the bonding for you. I was looking at RRR in Hertfordshire but didn’t find a rabbit that I fell in love with or thought would suit our home. I’ve only seen one other place that will bond rabbits, they were not a rescue but they had very good reviews, sadly they were very expensive, charging £300 for three weeks or something like that. My parents would never agree to and I couldn’t save an additional £300, not for a long time at least. If you could recommend any good rescues or services that will bond my bunnies, I’d greatly appreciate it and will definitely have a look at them. That’s very unfortunate that I shouldn’t do it myself, but that’s alright. Thank you! 😊
Hey, you don't need to fall in love with the bunny, Apollo does! It is so much better when they can pick their mate. Rescues don't normally charge for bonding if you adopt one of their bunnies I think. Are you near Stanmore? Just found out about another rescue there: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=little furries rabbit rescue stanmore&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Yeah, that’s true. It would probably be best for him to chose his mate, especially because he’s so difficult. Wow, that rescue is so close to me, and I didn’t even know it existed! I’ll definitely check it out! Thank you 😊😁

Hey, you don't need to fall in love with the bunny, Apollo does! It is so much better when they can pick their mate.

Definitely agree that Apollo should do the choosing regardless of how the bonding is done. :)

If you have a rescue do the bonding for you, that's well and good and is certainly an easier way for you to go.

I do not believe it is terrible for you to do the bonding process yourself, especially if you have support and guidance (from here and from the rescue). In the US, bondings are pretty much done at home as matter of course. Some go smoothly, but some are most stressful and trying. You are fortunate to be able to choose whether to do it yourself or have it done for you. I don't see anything wrong with doing it yourself. However, I do see the appeal of having it done for you.

Thank you. How would Apollo choose the rabbit? I’d take him with me when I look at them?
I will call a few rescues and see what their process is on it.
I will likely let a rescue do the bonding, if I can find one that is affordable. I don’t want any of my animals to get hurt or injured or terrified, if they got into a fight and I was responsible. If I can’t find an affordable rescue to do it, I’d have to do it myself and be very careful and cautious. Thank you! 😊

Thank you. How would Apollo choose the rabbit? I’d take him with me when I look at them?
I will call a few rescues and see what their process is on it.
I will likely let a rescue do the bonding, if I can find one that is affordable. I don’t want any of my animals to get hurt or injured or terrified, if they got into a fight and I was responsible. If I can’t find an affordable rescue to do it, I’d have to do it myself and be very careful and cautious. Thank you! 😊
A good rabbit rescue where they do the bonding for you will have you drop him off and stay there for a week or so. That gives you the chance to do a thorough cleaning so it's neutral territory when they come back.

Latest posts

Back