What do you call this colouring?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LessThanAnNa

Reaction score
There are dozens of photos of MOo Shoo in his bunny blog:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11883&forum_id=6

I'd really like to know what to call his colouring. We adopted him from an animal shelter in late January of this year. His only description was 'tortoiseshell'. When I brought him home and researched breeds more carefully I realized that he was clearly a rex. His colouring also fit the description of 'tortoiseshell' as far as I knew.. tortoiseshell cats have that same pattern, tortoiseshell is listed under the many colourings of Rex's but I rarily see 'harlequin' listed as a colour,and I found one link that had a rabbit almost identical to Moo Shoo that was labelled as a tortoiseshell rex as well, and 'tortoiseshell dutch' rabbits have patches of the pattern that Moo Shoo has, so I was quite confident calling him that.

However, I often also hear people calling the same pattern Harlequin,and even got a message of someone correcting me.. which was somewhat helpful. But I'm still somewhat confused.. so thought I would triple check here.

I understand that Harlequin is a seperate breed, but I guess it's also a colouring?

Of course, it doesn't really matter one way or another.. but it's simply something I wonder about. Thank you!

Also, Moo Shoo has a tattoo in his ear, that I know did not come from the shelter.. and am guessing came from his breeder. He's about a year old, and was given up bya family due to allergies.. and livedat the shelter for about three months. I wonder if there is anyway I could trace his breeder via the ear tattoo? Again.. it's nothing important, just curiosity eating at me. (Keep in mind that I live in Ontario, Canada) Thanks!

-Anna and Moo SHoo

Hi Anna,

I'll publicly post what I informed you in earlier PM's...
I saw Moo Shoo's Bunny Blog... and you stated he was a Tortoiseshell. His actual coloring is called Black/Orange Harlequin.

Here's a link to another picture of one just like him -http://rabbits.mythicaldanes.com/minirex.html(scroll all the way to the bottom)

http://www.geocities.com/falls_acre_rabbits/mr-colors.html(Under Non recognized Varieties)

There's some good pictures of Tort's here:http://www.compartsminirex.com/torts.html
Yeah, unfortunately that was inaccurate information on Central Pets - I've sent them an email with the links I sent to you, so hopefully they will correct it soon, for the others.

Now, I hope I don't confuse you here - If I do, let me know...

Rex and Mini Rex are generally the same rabbit - only one is a smaller version of the other. Both come in the same color varieties(which I can list, but it will make for a LONG list :))

Rex (Standard) generally weigh between 7 1/2 - 10 1/2 pounds adult weight (Adult = 6mos and older)

Mini Rex generally weigh between 3 - 4 1/2 pounds adult weight (Adult = 6mos and older)

Now, I myself HAVE Mini Rex that weigh 5-5 1/2 pounds... but they ARE Mini Rex - they just lack a copy of the dwarfing gene to put them in the typical weight limitations for show. It doesn't make the many less of a Mini Rex.

I also have a 5 month old Rex (Standard) that only weighs 6 pounds 5ounces... however he is noticably thin for his structure (I guess the previous owner didn't feed what they should have... he is improving since being here).

Both Rex and Mini Rex have the Same fur type, feel, and colors.

It can get confusing at times as there is a Breed called Harlequin as well as a Variety (color) called Harlequin in other breeds.Same with Lilac, Sable, Californian, Himilayan (Himi), Chinchilla, and Silver Marten- they are allboth a Breed as well as a color Variety in other breeds.

The difference between Harlequin coloring and Tortoiseshell coloring is both simple and genetic...

Harlequin coloring is 2 colors blending in a way to cause "stripes" or"marbleing" of alternating color throughout the rabbit's body. Genetic code for a Black/Orange Harle is (aaB_C_D_ej_)which basically means it is a Self colored rabbit, of a Black based coloring, shows full Color expression, is an Intense color variety, and has "Japanese" pigment extension of color.

Tortoiseshell (Tort) coloring is a bright, rich, clean orange which blends to a smoky gray-black on the sides, rump, belly, feet and underside of the tail... along with the same Shading on the head darkest at the whisker bed lightening to a lighter shade along the jawline. It darkens again at the ear base and blends up the ears to match the body. Genetic code for a (Black) Tort is (aaB_C_D_ee) which basically means it is a Self colored rabbit, of a Black based coloring, shows full Color expression, is an Intense color variety, and has non extension pigment of color.

I hope this helped explain somewhat.

~Sunshine

Anyone's welcome to counter anything I advised :)

Hi,

Yes Harlequin is a breed and it's a colouring. I also have a harlequin mini rex. Here's what he looks like:

Nutmeg7.jpg

Nutmeg4.jpg

And one of his daughters:
HarleySide.jpg

And one of his sons:
PicsFeb112006008.jpg

They are all harlequin, although his daughter is a much darker, richerred as her mom was a red. It's not a recognised colour of mini rex, but I think it's one of the most beautiful.

--Dawn

Japanese (Black/Orange)Harlequin color

The Japanese have orange in combination with black, blue, chocolate orlilac, while the Magpie Harlequin colored rabbits have white incombination with black, blue, chocolate, or lilac. The Magpies are sometimes mistaken for brokens in some breeds.

Pam

aurora369 wrote:
Hi,

Yes Harlequin is a breed and it's a colouring. I also have a harlequin mini rex.
They are all harlequin,although his daughter is a much darker, richer red as her mom was a red. It's not a recognised colour of mini rex, but I think it's one of the most beautiful.

--Dawn

There are4 "color combinations" of the Harlequin color variety...

The most common is the Black/Orange (Daughter's coloring)...

The next most common is Blue/Fawn (Son's coloring)...

A bit rarer is Chocolate/Orange followed by Lilac/Fawn.

Most all the Harlequin colors seen regularly is the Black/Orange or Blue/Fawn.

Edit: OOPS! Posted the same time as Pam!...LOL! (and I forgot about the Magpies :shock:)

Another bit of trivia on the Harlequin coloration -- the Harlequin color pattern is only showable in the Harlequin breed, but often used in breeding programs for producing tri colored rabbits.

Tri color (broken harlequin)is the only variety that is accepted as a broken coloration incertain breeds, but is not accepted in the solid Harlequin version for those breeds (Lops, MiniRex, Rex).

Pam

Thank you everyone for the replies.

And SunnieBunnie Rabbitry, I wasn't trying to counter what you said.. I was just still a bit confused and wanted to double check. I really appreciated your pm's because I wouldn't have known otherwise. I tried looking for books about different rabbit breeds, but couldn't find much other than general pet-care books about bunnies at my library, most of which I've already read. So, thank you again!! :D

~*AnNa*~

Hi there! I have a rabbit who looks exactly like Moo Shoo, the exact coloring and all. However, he's smaller, but I'm assuming he's just a baby because I just got him last Friday. I may have missed it, but do you know what breed Moo shoo is? I've been trying to figure the breed out of my rabbit and I'm pretty sure Moo shoo and Fedex are the same!

~BYNDI~ wrote:
So how many different types of harlequins are there?
Well - there is the harlequin breed...then there is the harlequin pattern. I have harlequin patterned lionheads...I just LOVE them.

So there are two basic types - the breed itself - and then the pattern which can show up in any breed (I guess?) if the breeder were to breed for it.

I once saw a harlequin patterned flemish giant...it was a pet!

Peg

Hello but everyone says there is like the japanese harlequin and and the colours that you can get in them so i was just wondering what they were and what they were call because i would like to get one

Latest posts

Back