What do ya'll use for bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLover

Reaction score
What do you use for bedding? My rabbit needs something to go in his sleeping box. I was using hay but that is just a wast.
Thanks for any help

I use So Phresh brand bedding. Both soft wood and aspen. Ill post a picture below. You can get at petco, petsmart, amazon, etc. I layer them as softwood isn't technically the best for rabbits do to phenols(this is generally with fresh pine, cedar, etc. but once dried out, it's little to no harm hence why so many companies make bedding out of it. It absorbs better then aspen. So What I do is layer the aspen wood on top, as it also has a stronger smell and kills the urine smell better then softwood beddings but the soft wood absorbs and sucks the urine down. You could then also layer it with a thin topping of hay so you don't waste to much. Mine wont poop in it's indoor cage anymore since im potty training it now, and it's only bedding.
3084377-center-1

2355593-center-1

I use So Phresh brand bedding. Both soft wood and aspen. Ill post a picture below. You can get at petco, petsmart, amazon, etc. I layer them as softwood isn't technically the best for rabbits do to phenols(this is generally with fresh pine, cedar, etc. but once dried out, it's little to no harm hence why so many companies make bedding out of it. It absorbs better then aspen. So What I do is layer the aspen wood on top, as it also has a stronger smell and kills the urine smell better then softwood beddings but the soft wood absorbs and sucks the urine down. You could then also layer it with a thin topping of hay so you don't waste to much. Mine wont poop in it's indoor cage anymore since im potty training it now, and it's only bedding.
3084377-center-1

2355593-center-1
I thought wood shavings are not safe for rabbits. How long will a bag like that size last?

I thought wood shavings are not safe for rabbits. How long will a bag like that size last?
Only certain woods, and it has to be fresh(for most of them, if not all of them) Some like Aspen are great for them. Even Pine dried properly(Kiln-dried) is okay as mentioned above.
" Other superior litters, such as recycled paper and aspen shavings are available and you should steer potential adopters and those who already have rabbits to these safer alternatives. "
"Aspen is generally the most recommended wood to use as a litter material for rabbits since it is absorptive and controls odors. These shavings are kiln-dried, produced in a way that makes them safe for rabbits. "
"No, aspen is not toxic to rabbits. Aspen is a low-cost alternative to a variety of rabbit bedding options. It’s inexpensive and readily accessible at most pet shops.
Aspen is a non-toxic alternative to pine and cedar for giving your rabbit something to chew on. Because it absorbs moisture and minimises smells, aspen is the most commonly suggested wood for rabbit litter."
first source
source
third source
Depending on your litterbox size, how many you have and amount of rabbits, id say 1+ month. For me my mixture using the two different woods it lasts two months give or take. The bags are rather large. It's 4 cubic feet(or 113 liters for those not in the US) for 14-15 bucks at the Petco near me and the Aspen is like a buck or two more. If you are really worried just stick with the Aspen, not as absorbent but it really kills the urine smell.

Last edited:
Its not recommended to use shavings or paper bedding in the sleep area as again that can encourage your rabbit to go to the bathroom there.
We typically suggest the only place you use "litter" or "bedding" like that is the litter box.
If they are litter trained and not big chewers just give them a little blankie. Its way less messy

What do you use for bedding? My rabbit needs something to go in his sleeping box. I was using hay but that is just a wast.
Thanks for any help
Please post a photo of your current setup that includes this "sleeping box." Also, recommendations for indoor rabbits will often be different than for outdoor rabbits, so let us know that as well. (with so many members, it's not possible to remember those details on everyone)

Okay, I will go get a picture right now. Brb

They are really bad quality but here they are.

Photo on 6-20-22 at 3.33 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 6-20-22 at 3.32 PM #2.jpg

I will get better pictures in a little while, I did not have the good quality camera

They are really bad quality but here they are.

View attachment 61129View attachment 61130

I will get better pictures in a little while, I did not have the good quality camera

So from my experience you could use the bedding/litter I mentioned above with your set-up if you have a litter box in there somewhere(hard to tell). This is my bunnies indoor setup. She has two litter boxes outside her cage, layered like how I said above. She won't poop where she sleeps which is pure wood bedding. Everyone will have different experiences. If I use a blanket/towel or carpet mine poops and pees everywhere on it, which sucks since I want something soft in there for mine. If the bedding I mentioned above doesn't work it's under 20 bucks and worth a shot

Notice no poop or wet spots.
. 20220620_130012.jpg
This is how I have it layered. Softwood on the bottom, aspen over it, then a little hay on this one, the other has no hay on it but has a hay feeder box, as I was trying different ways to litter train mine, and it only took a few days for her to learn and catch on. I have it on my diary. But every bunny is different and this method may or may not work for you. For me it did. Notice all the poop and wet spot on the right hand side, only the left hand side is lighter and still unused. Having the hay by the bedding/litter IMO is what does the trick and will be switching my other litter box over to this style.

20220620_125948.jpg

How it looks with both litter boxes and when she goes, one has been upgraded to plastic now though lol. Need to replace the other box with plastic now too. Didn't think she would learn as fast as she did.
bunny litterbox.jpg

Last edited:
I meant of the whole cage, setup, not just a close-up of the sleeping area. The whole cage/hutch. And is it indoors or out?
Okay, I have two places for him, I'll get a picture of it. He is outdoor, But he has to houses. Only one I need bedding in

I have mine outdoor in a wood playhouse.I have built shelving at 2 levels with sides.I fill this with hay for them and the floor of the house is lino.
Their litter tray is on the floor.
Mine never pooh/ urinate in their resting/ sleeping areas so I only change it every 2 weeks.
Even so they often scrab the bedding up and lay on the bare wood.
I tried putting fleeces in ( thought they might be 🥶) they just scrab them up and push into a corner.
I 'd really like them to have a duvet and I just change the cover but they refuse to make their own bed in a morning! LOL

Latest posts

Back