What do rabbit warts look like. Are they suppose to be white with a spiky growth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somebunnylovesme

Reaction score
Inside the cartilage fold of my rabbit's ear is a raise brownish mole that almost looks like a skin tag. It doesn't look like a bug. I've tried a dab of olive oil on the mysterious skin tag to see if its a bug and it will suffocate. The rabbit isn't in pain but sometime the rabbit scratches the area with it back foot. On the other side of my rabbits ear there seems to be another that popped up and now sometimes is scratching that area. I'm not seeing any mites in the rabbits ears.

It makes me wonder if it is pest, I'm not sure if it is a wart its too dark to be one or a skin tag.

Might be easier if you take a good in focus close up picture and post it. Then we might be able to give you a better idea what you are dealing with.

Unfortunately, I cannot. Its right front part of the fold. Its not red or inflamed and there is no white patches. The ears have no signs of mites and they are very clean. I don't think it would be a tick, my rabbit is an indoor bunny. I don't think it would be a bug from hay because I would be getting bitten as well .

My rabbit is happy and bouncy, nothing has changed. We're going to get it checked out by the vet next weekend. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience or had seen something like I've explained.

If you are saying the spot has a growth coming out of it, then it could be the shope papilloma virus, which is spread by biting insects. It's mostly reported being in the US and also being winter would be a bit unusual for it to occur right now, but it could be possible.

It starts out looking like a wart, then proceeds to form a hard horn like growth It's thought to be where the story of horned rabbits comes from. You can take a look at this link and see if it looks at all like what's in the pictures. Otherwise if it looks more like a brown mole, maybe that's all it is.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Pap/Papilloma.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/viral/Shope_papillomavirus.htm

There are tons of jackrabbits around here. I've haven't seen any of them with horny growths. Plus rabbit is an indoor bunny.

25C2E6EB-F3BC-4314-B556-E2592E3678E7.jpeg AB1CF051-A5B8-4510-A034-DB180183A681.jpeg

Lahi had a warty-looking bump grow on the base of his ear. Small and bumpy, about the size of a grain of rice. It was black, with the rest of his skin white. He had it for many many years with no change, until this year it suddenly tripled in size and got very angry. It was identified by testing as a melanoma (a mole) that had become malignant, and needed to be removed.

Just like humans, moles are entirely harmless most of the time, and are only an issue under certain circumstances. Suddenly changing size and shape is very concerning and we’re still waiting to discover if we managed to remove it before it metastasized.

It got red and cracked when it started growing because of inflammation, but when it was stable it was just a black bumpy wart looking thing. Reminded me of my plantar’s wart I had on my foot as a kid.

But keep in mind one of the primary characteristics of a melanoma is dark pigment. I think it would be unusual for red to be the pigment but not impossible. As a child I spent years with a small red dot on my cheek which was a burst blood vessel that never went away.

Ultimately you’ll have to get a good picture of it if you want any kind of strong advice.

Agreed a good picture would be useful, but I would take your rabbit to a vet either way. Any new lumps are always worth checking out early, they might even take a sample to check if it is benign. Basically if you’re worried you need to see a vet

Yep! I had Lahi’s lump checked out when it arrived, and then showed it to every single vet for years. And the answer was always “not sure what it is but it isn’t growing or hurting him so unless you want us to sample it we don’t recommend doing anything”

Once it started growing and getting it inflamed, it definitely had to be removed, and upon sampling tests revealed it was a malignant melanoma.

So not only should you get it checked out now, keep getting it checked out even if the vet isn’t worried now. Keep eyes on it and monitor progress. Take lots of pictures so you can compare and make sure it’s staying stable. Lahi’s lump was completely harmless for four years straight until it one day it suddenly decided to try and kill him.

This week I'm going to the vet. It is time for my bun's check up. I'm going to ask for it to be taken off. I have don't time for a tumor. I had one bunny that had a benign tumor in its lungs but it grew. The vet understands where I'm coming from.

Latest posts

Back