What do I do when my rabbit gets scared?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkin

Reaction score
About an hour ago my bunny got REALLY scared and I had no idea what to do. He wouldn't let me comfort him in any way. Does anyone know what to do in these kinds of situations? Something that I was doing was making a weird crinkling noise and Pumpkin FREAKED out. He was in his pen at the time (it was opened) and since the sound was coming in the direction of the entrance/exit, he didn't feel safe to come out that way. The pen has a hidey house inside it, but for some reason, he wanted to get to the one outside the pen. So he started hurtling his body at the pen trying to make it open. It was heartbreaking to watch as I could do nothing. He repeatedly got running starts and slammed himself into the side of the pen (even though there was an entrance) hoping it would open. He was going crazy in the pen knocking over everything. Then he darted out of the exit and into the big hidey house outside the pen. He kept thumping and thumping and thumping a million times and wouldn't stop. He wouldn't eat treats and wouldn't let me touch him. I eventually just left the room, leaving him alone hoping he would calm down, but he wouldn't stop THUMPING. He was terrified even though the noise had stopped. Finally after like 15 minutes (NOT exaggerating) of thumping on and off, he calmed down and I was able to comfort him and give him treats. He's fine now and back to normal, but was there anything I could've done differently to help him? Thanks in advance!

Just get him to a hidey house as fast as possible. He could have been in pain from running into the pen. And don't stress him out by trying to comfort him. Just sit down and let him come to you.

My rabbits like to be outside, lucky I live in the middle of no where so there arent lots of scary noises but sometimes cars go by. My one rabbit does this all the time. I always have a house out for them to go into. She runs into it and thumps like crazy then relaxes and is fine. So just give her time to relax and make sure she has a safe place to run to.

Latest posts

Back