What do I do if my rabbit eats toast and butter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunset_bun

Reaction score
So I don't usually eat in my room but just now I was eating toast with just butter on and my rabbit Jeff took a peice and ran away with it, I was able to get most if it out of his mouth but he still ate quite a bit (a large chunk of the corner) what are the warning signs that something has gone wrong or he can't digest it? Is there anything that I can do to minimise the chances of something bad happening? Please help!

Just monitor him and make sure he remains active and still has a healthy appetite eating hay and drinking water for the next couple of hours and it should go through his system pretty easily if it was only a little bit. If he acts normal then he should be alright.

Warning signs would be not eating or drinking like normal, not being active, sitting hunched and being uninterested in moving. If he does this try massaging his stomach and feeding him individual pieces of hay and you may want to call a vet. But if he’s acting completely normal then I say by 4-6 hours it should be completely through his system and you don’t need to worry.

Some buns are more sensitive and may have a problem while others will be perfectly fine after eating something like that. My bunny’s eaten way worse things like rubber, pencils, drywall etc. and had no ill effects😅

What Moonshadow said, lots of hay and water, and also I wouldn't feed any other high carb sugary treats for the next day or two.

If he stops eating/pooping for more than 12-24 hours, develops diarrhea(not just mushy cecotropes) where the there are no normal fecal balls but all is mushy and or watery, develops a bloated stomach, and/or you have any concerns that your rabbit is doing unwell, you should contact a knowledgeable rabbit vet immediately.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

As long as ur bun is acting normal, they should be fine. If not contact a vet immediately.
If this makes you feel any better my bunnies have escaped their play pen and have eaten 12 chocolate bars while we were at the Mall. (This was a month ago and they are somehow fine) I totally freaked, but alll in all they didn’t get sick, nor have and issues

Latest posts

Back