Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My baby bun, Peaches, passed away this morning on the way to the emergency vet clinic. It looked like she either had a stroke or seized. Last night when I went to check on her before bed, her hay bin was still full from that morning which is when I knew something was wrong because I have to fill it up for her 2 to 3x a day cus she eats so much of it. She was also super lethargic and she has had stasis off and on since I've had her, so I assumed it was that. I massaged her belly for a couple minutes until I heard some gurgling, fed her some critical care off of my finger, and got her to take a few bites of a green leaf lettuce leaf. I walked out of the room and turned the light off to let her calm down some, but when I came back 10ish mins later - her eyes were bulging out of the sockets. I called over 10 vets, some located over an hour away, and NOT ONE would even see us (this all happened between 3:45am and 5am). The hospital she usually goes to said they would have an exotics doctor on site at 8am, so I left at 6 hoping to get there early to be the first ones in. She pooped when I picked her up to put her in her cage before we left, and her eyes were back to normal so I hoped we were out of the woods, but she was still extremely lethargic. About 30 mins later on the ride there, she hopped to the back of her crate, laid on her side with her back legs twitching, and then she was gone </3 She has always had health issues since I took her in 3 years ago - stasis 3x (I did everything the vet said the first time to prevent it, but it still continued to happen), difficulty maintaining weight/muscle mass (she has always felt very bone-y even when I was able to get her to gain some weight), orange-ish red urine (vet did a urinalysis and told me nothing was wrong), ear mites (prior to me taking her in), an ulcerated cornea (happened recently, but had since healed), etc. She was only 4 years old though... And she had been doing so good for so long, aside from the ulcerated cornea from jabbing herself in the eye with a piece of hay a couple weeks ago, but we got the all clear from the vet to stop the eye drops and ointment because it was healed. I don't understand what happened or why it happened and I just want some sort of an answer...what did I do wrong? :'(

Attachments

• Snapchat-379647070.jpg
    Snapchat-379647070.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 5
I am so sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful bunny and very loved. From what I've read, it sounds like you did everything right. You were in regular communication with a vet, you promptly sought treatment for the issues which developed, you followed vet advice, and had supplies on hand.

Nothing you did that night caused her death. From the past issues you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if she had an undetected medical issue, maybe related to the heart, although it's impossible to guess. Or maybe just bad luck.

I am so sorry, but I truly think you did all the right things that night and lost anyways.

My baby bun, Peaches, passed away this morning on the way to the emergency vet clinic. It looked like she either had a stroke or seized. Last night when I went to check on her before bed, her hay bin was still full from that morning which is when I knew something was wrong because I have to fill it up for her 2 to 3x a day cus she eats so much of it. She was also super lethargic and she has had stasis off and on since I've had her, so I assumed it was that. I massaged her belly for a couple minutes until I heard some gurgling, fed her some critical care off of my finger, and got her to take a few bites of a green leaf lettuce leaf. I walked out of the room and turned the light off to let her calm down some, but when I came back 10ish mins later - her eyes were bulging out of the sockets. I called over 10 vets, some located over an hour away, and NOT ONE would even see us (this all happened between 3:45am and 5am). The hospital she usually goes to said they would have an exotics doctor on site at 8am, so I left at 6 hoping to get there early to be the first ones in. She pooped when I picked her up to put her in her cage before we left, and her eyes were back to normal so I hoped we were out of the woods, but she was still extremely lethargic. About 30 mins later on the ride there, she hopped to the back of her crate, laid on her side with her back legs twitching, and then she was gone </3 She has always had health issues since I took her in 3 years ago - stasis 3x (I did everything the vet said the first time to prevent it, but it still continued to happen), difficulty maintaining weight/muscle mass (she has always felt very bone-y even when I was able to get her to gain some weight), orange-ish red urine (vet did a urinalysis and told me nothing was wrong), ear mites (prior to me taking her in), an ulcerated cornea (happened recently, but had since healed), etc. She was only 4 years old though... And she had been doing so good for so long, aside from the ulcerated cornea from jabbing herself in the eye with a piece of hay a couple weeks ago, but we got the all clear from the vet to stop the eye drops and ointment because it was healed. I don't understand what happened or why it happened and I just want some sort of an answer...what did I do wrong? :'(
I am so sorry for your loss

Im so sorry for your loss she was such a beautiful bunny.
From reading what you wrote it seems like you did nothing wrong. You tried everything you could do, it was probably just bad luck :(( You were being the best bunny parent, I’m sure she knew that.

I don’t t think you did anything wrong, I’m so sorry you lost her. She was very cute.

Thank you everyone. It's so hard to accept that she is actually gone right now. I was beating myself up all day yesterday thinking it may have been something I did that night, or something I didn't do, but should have. This wasn't supposed to happen, but at least I know now that it was beyond anything I could have done..

Latest posts

Back