What could this be? Mites? Fleas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwobunnies

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, because she's not really sick so I didn't know if it would fit under infirmary? But in any case, so when I first got my second rabbit (november 2012) she had mites - it wasn't severe at all but I did take her to the vet 3 days after I got her for a check up as well as ivermectin treatments. I did all 5 treatments and she was free of mites. At this point - my first rabbit was not living with my second - so I don't think the mites could have travelled to him? When they had no contact with each other? And he didn't get on any fabric that she was on and I made sure I thoroughly washed the carriers and litter box and cage and floors very often (and always immediately) after a treatment.

So I think it highly unlikely he caught mites from her - although you never know? But my first rabbit never scratched excessively. And neither of them scratch excessively now? But I was petting my rabbit (the one who had mites before) and I felt something and I looked and to my surprise I saw very flaky skin, and like what seemed to be a bug bite? I couldn't find anything else on her body, but again I wasn't really checking intently I was just focusing on the main thing. It's located right between her shoulder blades.

It looks like one big bite with lots of flaky skin, which can be a sign of mites or some external parasite. They have NEVER been outside (well my male has literally 1 year ago and was there for just minutes- fenced in), but my dog was recently at the emergency vet (indoor dog) but of course that doesn't mean he couldn't have caught anything from other animals while he was there?

We are a little tight on money now: I've spent over 640$ at the vet because my dog was very ill and he is recovering now, and my mom just bought a new car (I know what you're thinking, if she can afford a new car she can pay for vet bills) yes we CAN I'm just saying with tuition and everything else it's a little hard.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

If this rabbit has seen the vet before they could probably give you some revolution (selamectin) which is effective against both fleas and mites. It's also used as a heartworm preventative which is why it's prescription only, but, like I said, if your vet has seen the patient in the past they may send you home with some without a physical exam.

I was given the option of either ivermectin or revolution, and ended up choosing ivermectin because the vet said she was more familiar with that. I wouldn't want to give her any type of medication/ cream without confirmation that the medication I'm about to give her will help cure her.

Does your vet usually treat rabbits?
Ivermectin does work and can be purchased from a feed store without a prescription, but since those formulations are for large animals, it's tricky to get a small enough dose that would be appropriate for a rabbit. It's much easier to dose the revolution since it's packaged in sizes for cats. It can be used as a regular flea preventative in rabbits (like you might use it or advantage on your dog).
Additionally, some rabbits, particularly Dutch or vienna marked rabbits, have adverse reactions to ivermectin (similar to what is often seen in collie dogs).
You say your dog is an indoor dog, but presumably he goes outside at the very least to "use the grass" so it's definitley possible that he could have brought something in with him.

Yes she is great and seemed very knowledgable about rabbit care. Should I just keep on eye on her for another week and see what happens? Or is that too long?

And I suppose so, but he is only out there for no longer than 10 minutes at a time - but you never know what you can find in the grass especially in warm regions like where I live.

I was just trying to come up with some cheaper options for you. Ideally she should get a physical exam and a skin scraping of the lesion, but just treating her with the selamectin may solve the problem.

I would think it is possible your dog brought something home with him from the vets. I took my young cat once to the vets and she wound up having fleas not long after. She was an indoor only cat and we had no other pets at that time other than a leopard gecko and two bearded dragons.

I would see about the revolution if it were me.

Like previously suggested, I would highly recommend calling your vet a seeing if they would just prescribe a dose of revolution! One of my bunnies contracted mites and Revolution worked like a charm! Given his size, the tube for cats, I was able to treat him twice (2 months) with the same tube! At first, I took the "wait and see approach" did not work....I'd just call and see what the vet says and go from there! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back