What could it be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ARBA book talked about just Pen G. ;)

Since I've heard 1 injection once a week x 3, then I'll go with that. ;) Should he be fine enough to move back outside? And should I treat the doe he "bred" with (I use bred in quotations because I'm not certain he actually got in her...etc.) even though she hasn't shown signs yet?

So wow...uhm 0.1 ml per body weight huh? That'll be quie difficult to measure. How much should I dilute the Bicillin with the distilled water? I'm think maybe 0.2 ml with the 0.3 ml of Bicillin? Should I be able to properly give it with a 1 cc syringe if I dilute it?

ETA: How often should I give him the probiotic? I have Bene-Bac. Should I give him half a little tube with each shot or....?

Emily

I was going to give him his first Sub-Q injection tonight, but discovered that we don't have distilled water afterall... :( So, I'm going to just call some vets tomorrow and hope they will sell me some saline solution. :)

I was told that distilled water stings, so I'm just going to splurge for the saline instead.

Emily

Technically you should never put anything in the body under the skin that is not sterile

I understand why a person may use distilled water ( in desperation) because the antibiotic itself may prevent an infection under the skin but it would still bother me

you can give the injections without diluting it but play around with the syringes and needles ahead of time to see what works.; if you cannot get lactated ringers solution or sterile saline)

angieluv wrote:
Technically you should never put anything in the body under the skin that is not sterile

I understand why a person may use distilled water ( in desperation) because the antibiotic itself may prevent an infection under the skin but it would still bother me

you can give the injections without diluting it but play around with the syringes and needles ahead of time to see what works.; if you cannot get lactated ringers solution or sterile saline)

Mkay. ;)

As for the probiotics, how often should I give those?

Emily

Yes, I mentioned above that I do. ;)

I tried giving him his first injection yesterday, had no problems with flow in any of the needles or syringe, but I could not stick him with the needle properly. I tried a couple times, but I couldn't get it in far enough, so I just gave up. :( I was frustrated, but I'll just have to get my mom's boyfriend to do it.

I think a little got in, but definitely not all 0.3 mls, that's for sure.

Emily

We succeded in giving his first shot to him. ;) He was great. He didn't much like me trying to get some Bene Bac in his mouth, but I managed to get a bit, and I also put another little bit on his food.

Hopefully we'll start seeing some improvements with him in the next couple days! :) Emily

Glad you were able to get his meds started. I too am uncomfortable with the idea of using distilled water but it would work in a pinch.

:) So far there isn't an abscess at the injection site. I forgot to give him his Bene Bac for a few days, but gave him another dose yesterday.

When do you guys think it'd be safe to put him back in the rabbitry?

He's putting on so much weight already. We have to fill his food dish like 3 times a day to keep up with how much he's eating. :)

Dallas, our Opal MR buck, was sneezing this morning, so I gave him his first dose of Sulmet & his first dose of Vit C (which I'll only give 3 doses) and if he's not improved by Friday, I'll start him on Bicillin as well. He still has his appetite though, and is putting weight on. I think it could be a URI, something of the sorts. He was sneezing, but there was just a tiny bit of snot. No matted front paws, and the snot was clear-ish. Hopefully we won't have to bring him in, as I don't have any other cages to do so...:/

Emily

Latest posts

Back