What could it be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of the possibility of Vent Disease as well... I actually cleaned out his vents tonight, and they weren't bad at all. :/

His bum was a bit red & like...pulsing? When I checked, but I'm beginning to think he's getting himself excited? I did put some neosporin on it though.

Emily

Vent disease is what I thought. It sounds like his bum is very painful. I would do the bicillin treatment as that can cure vent disease.

^^Yup, we've got him inside right now. His bum looked much more sore today. Megan (Shaded-Night) checked him and said he definitely needed to get out of the rabbitry.

I'll be starting treatment of bicillin tomorrow. I just want to know if saline solution is ABSOLUTELY necessary for giving sub-Q injections as I was told I can only get it from a veterinarian? Is that so? I could have sworn it's available elsewhere.

Should I continue Sulmet while he's on Bicillin? He only gets one more dose anyhow...:/

I am going to be sanitizing EVERYTHING he's touched in my rabbitry over the next 2 days (in freezing temps, yay! :/) to be on the safe side.
Will have to start treatments on my doe as well, most likely, as he bred with her, although she did not take. :/

Emily

bicillin is not the treatment for vent disease and the injections areonce a week for 3 week using benzathine penicillin. I do not know the dosage

The instructions I gave you before were for respiratory problems
This rabbit needs to go the vet ; too many unknowns to treat yourself.

I gave you a link earlier with a company in whichI sent for and received sterile water in 20 ml vials ; I used sterile water rather than lactated ringers

I do not recommend self treatment in situations like this .

You don't know what is wrong?:?

I have been told otherwise, actually. ;) Bicillin does indeed treat vent disease.

I can't purchase saline solution online. It will take way too long to get here. ;)

No...we're not 100% sure what is wrong. Either way, he has something that is connected to a respiratory problem, as he has dried snot around his nose. There isn't any discharge or matted paws, it's just a bit. Upon doing some reading, snot can be connected to vent disease. ;)

Emily

angieluv wrote:
I gave you a link earlier with a company in whichI sent for and received sterile water in 20 ml vials ; I used sterile water rather than lactated ringers

^^But where canI get either of these items w/o paying an arm & a leg for shipping & handling online? I've already spent close to $60 on this buck. At this point, I'm beginning to get extremely frustrated. :X

I can't treat him until I know where to get this...Is lactacted ringer solution available at pharmacies? What is sterile water? I asked about using plain water earlier - so couldn't I just boil water and it would be sterile?

Emily

you cannot buy sterile diluents except online and/or from a vet or Dr's office

maybe a vet would let you buy a bag of lactated ringers if you explained the situation

any vet would have it

You don't have to dilute the penicillin but it is easier to give and prevents sterile abscesses (not that he necessarily will get them) .You can give the injections without it

I don't know how to dose bicillin specifically for vent disease butIam fairly sure that if you had the plain benzathine penicillin that you would be giving only 1 injection each week for 3 weeks which would be way easier than every other day.

Claire will be back tonight or tomorrow ; maybe she knows how to dose for vent disease with bicillin....maybe you already got it from someone??

^^That's what I was thinking. I will go ahead and call around tomorrow and see if I can get some for relatively cheap. I would rather dilute the bicillin than run the risk of him getting an abscess. ;)

Yes, I do believe the correct dosage is once a week for 3 weeks.

I was thinking the dosage would be 0.25 ml, right? Once a week? He's closer to 3 lbs, so that'd be about in the middle.

Emily

That is what I don't know

the once a week dosage dosing might be higher ( I don't know ). remember that half of that 0.25 ml is procaine penicilin not benzathine and procaine is short acting .

If you can wait a day for Claire....

let me keep looking around for this

I don't know the dosing. Bicillin contains benzathine penicillin G so it will treat it. I know Peg (tinysmom) has used distilled water to dilute bicillin before when saline was unavailable and Pam (pamnock) said it was ok. However, I would use that as a very last resort.

Hmmm.... Okay, so we're still lost on how often to give it? But still set that the dose is 0.25ml?

I have distilled water, and will probably have to use that, as it is snowing here & the roads are bad and my mom isn't letting me drive in these conditions.

Emily

The book ARBA's "Official Guide to Raising Better Rabbits & Cavies" says to give a shot of Pen G for 3 days..., once daily. I'm guessing this is the correct dose, but maybe I should bump it up to 4 or 5 days?

I think the breeder who answered the yahoo question could be credible. It sounds similar to what is in the Guide.

Emily

Ireceived a reply from Pam Nock who is a prominent ARBA judge and moderator on this forum

Shes say that0.1mlper lb of body weight given once a week SQ X 3 weeks is frequently used

different folks use it diferently

I have heard of benzathine penicillin injections ( not with procaine) being used for vent disease 1 injection a week for 3 weeks.

Actually I think vets around here would give 1 injection a week
of benzathine
You have a lot to choose from here :)and we are all learning from it.

You can work out the differences in the math/dosageI just don't have time today.

Does the ARBA book talk specifically about biciilin or just use the word penicillin. ?

Latest posts

Back