What could it be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The larger the number the smaller the diameter of the needle so if you have 22 g it is bigger than ideal but you probably can do it ; 3/4 inch is a long needle for a sub q but once again it is possible if you have done sq injections before.

"Small" in a feed store is probably for goats and calves etc

if you get the bicillin this is the dosing (remember you are working here with units per ml )

you can dose specifically as cited in medi-rabbit

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

47,000- 84,000 u per kg (a kg. = (2.2lbs)

Ialways dosed somewhere in the middle

or more generically as described in the Marcy Moore article

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm

she is talking about abscesses but it doesn't really matter ..

Alright, thanks. :)
I wasn't able to get syringes today... The pharmacy used to give out insulin syringes for free, but now if you don't have a vial of insulin or a prescription, they make you pay $40 for a huuuuge box. Um, no thanks.

So, I'll run to the feed store tomorrow and get some.

I'd really like to know what he has exactly... Ugh. I gave him some pineapple, someone at the feedstore suggested it was GI, but it's definitely not... lol. At least he ate the pineapple, though. I made him some "cookies" last night, and he ate one then; hasn't eaten this mornings' yet.

ETA: The Bicillin is at 300,000 units per ML, so, if I'm correct, wouldn't the correct dosage be about 1/4 mL in order to get the proper dose?

Emily

What is his weight?

Ihave never given bicillin unless it was diluted with lactated ringer solution or sterile saline ; this prevents the problem of it clogging the needle because it thins it out.

Hey guys.
Rowdy is showing some symptoms of illness again. :(
His (excuse the language) anus is red/& inflamed, and his appetite is decreasing again.

I have syringes (both 3 ml, and 1 ml) and also picked up some Sulmet, which is an antibiotic that goes in the water. Starting him on that tonight, and beginning the Sub Q injections tomorrow...but I have a few questions:

Should I give him the shot every other day?
Can I use the same needle for withdrawing each time, or does it have to be a clean one?
I have the gauges 18, 20 and 22 ~~ Which is best for Sub Q injections?
Which is best for withdrawing from the vial?
Will water work as a supplement for saline solution, in order to prevent abcesses?

ETA: Some of the syringes I bought (the 1ml) have 30 gauge needle attached - would these also work for giving injections?

Thanks,
Emily

Hi

What is with the sore anus ?
this sounds like a totally different problem than what you were describing before.???

You can not use tap or bottled water to mix with the bicillin because everything that is injected under the skin HAS to be sterile and ordinary tap water is not sterile.I have never given bicillin without diluting it soI really cannot tell you how to do it. I know that some people give it without diluting it ; it is more difficult and there is the chance of sterile abscesses.

I think that you may have issues drawing it into a 1 cc syringe because it is going to be too thick to go in

I used a 3 cc syringe and you will need to remember that 0.25 ml is not very much and be very careful with the amount

You can with draw the bicillin out with any of the needles that you bought but the 22 gauge is the best of all of them to give it because it is the smallest.diameter. even then you will need to watch and see if the hole made by the needle causes any of the bicillin to leak out on your rabbit and be sure to wipe it off as it is fatal if ingested

I used a 25 which is way smaller .; a 30 probably is too small and you most likely won't be able to get the med out.

do some test runs before even if you have to waste some of the medication to see which needle works the best

Read all the infoI posted previously

I am not a vet; I am not a vet tech nor doI have any degree in animal science. I learned this technique from another mod on this forum ; I am not responsible for any mishap that should or could occur with your bun asI am not a professional but just trying to assist you the best that I can.

I ordered sterilewater off the internet to mix with the biciliin to use on my rabbit. I also ordered syringes and needles from the same place

http://www.eastcoastmedicalsupply.com/sterilewaterforinjectionusp-3bottles.aspx

Idid not use bacteriostatic water but sterile water.

pm for any other questions butI won't be available tomorrow until afternoon.

probably can't use the same needle to with draw as it will plug with dried medication.

Missed a few questions
the injections are every other day

also if you did get the diluent you may be able to use the 30 gauge needle with 1ml syringe..not sure.

I have 3ml, is ml the same as cc?

I'm not sure what is wrong with his area... that's why I'm confused as it does sound like a completely new thing. :/

Alright - so where can I get sterile saline solution?

Emily

Thanks Angie.
I'm debating taking him or not...the rabbit savvy vet charges $45 alone, and I just don't have enough money in my rabbit fund to cover anything more than that. I'm afraid they'll just tell me to treat it with bicillin, and then I'll have wasted $45+.

I am keeping him on Sulmet & 250mg of Vit C for another 2 days, and if he hasn't improved on that alone, I will further decide upon taking him to the vet. ;)

Usually the bunnies can pay for themselves, but I haven't had much luck with rehoming, so my funds are decreasing rapidly. I've spent about $40 alone on needles, syringes, & penicillin, wormer & sulmet.

Emily

but the sore butt seems so strange..really don't know

maybe had something to do with the dewormer??? :)

can you post a photo of his sore butt; it won't be considered obscene here just normal

It is strange...His poohs look completely normal too. :/
It could have had something to do with the dewormer.
I will attempt a picture - it might be difficult to get, but I will definitely try.

Emily

Here are some pictures of Rowdy's sore bum. I was told it could be hutch burn - what would be best for treating hutch burn?

This morning when we fed, he still had quite a lot of pellets left from last night. He's still on 250 mg of Vit C & the Sulmet, but I'm not sure if it's working or not. :/

NovemberBunnies018.jpg

NovemberBunnies016.jpg

NovemberBunnies017.jpg

And some pictures of his nose/mouth. There isn't any discharge, but just a little bit of crusty stuff above his right nostril...Looks like pellet dust...?

NovemberBunnies021.jpg

NovemberBunnies022.jpg

ETA: I weighed him when these pictures were taken (Monday) and he was 3 lbs, about 1 oz. The last time I weighed him (about 1 1/2 to two weeks ago) he was 3lbs. As you can see, there isn't any significant weight gain, nor is there any loss...He's just not in good flesh condition. I can feel his spine, and feel his ribs when I press down just a bit.

Emily

I don't know if that is urine scald/ hutch burn :?and if it is why would it suddenly develop ? Urine scald is the symptom of an underlying condition

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

I think that you could safely apply some bag balm or even a little neosporin to that poor sore butt but it is time for you and him to go to a vet because we are in over our heads here.

If he had urine scald he would have a wet behind and I don't see that in the pic ..looks like a sore butt

I don't know what the effects of the Vitamin C is doing to his body . I would stop it.

Syphllis also causes sores on the butt

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15018&forum_id=10

I haven't been giving him any Vit C for a few days...
I will look into taking him to the vet, but it all depends on if I can afford it or not. ;)
I will put some neosporin on his bottom, though.

He is still on the antibiotic, Sulmet...should I give him some probiotics along with it?

Emily

I checked his bottom this morning and now it's completely back to it's normal colour.

He was kinda messy though, something going up his back, but his doesn't have diarrhea. I stopped Vit C., and haven't added another dose of sulmet to his water for the past two days... Should I give another dose?

I added oats to his feed last night, and he ate up over half of his food. Put more oats in this morning and he was chowing down as well. I will continue to give him oats in his feed, along with the blackoil sunflower seeds, until he continues to put on weight.

Emily

just be careful that you don't give him to much carbs ... a small amount of oats and sunflower seeds will not mess up his GI and maybe help put on weight but too much at once will disrupt his digestive tract.

Latest posts

Back