What colours and patterns are my bunnies? Faults?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marina

Reaction score
I recently bought two bunnies and I’d love to know what colours and patterns they are, and whether these colour/pattern combinations are showable. I’d also love to know any other faults that they have, though I will love them to bits regardless. Thank you. :)

6D042132-B7D5-49D3-8211-CBA1C20E57A5.jpeg DF178C5A-BBFA-497B-ADB3-DAEE5F54C7B5.jpeg 15B1089B-202B-477A-8196-3572160AE9C7.jpeg 070D6A97-0502-49CD-8B54-A0D53B50C110.jpeg 4A5EB85E-B563-4AE0-A29D-76DA3BB1C204.jpeg B0653BE1-E700-4F14-BF33-13063B6F5896.jpeg AAE311B8-F046-4EFE-95B2-B48CF6EE53CE.jpeg 70E5AEA1-0472-45A6-ABB3-8363424428F4.jpeg 1075A810-9F11-49A8-801F-12B15222FD2D.jpeg 2CD8C0F3-2C4A-4D1D-A8E0-62C16ABCF14B.jpeg

I might be wrong, but they do look agouti (meaning the 'wild rabbit' colour) of the hair having different layers of shades. Is this wrong?

I might be wrong, but they do look agouti (meaning the 'wild rabbit' colour) of the hair having different layers of shades. Is this wrong?
Hmm I was Googling and I think the darker coloured one MIGHT be an opal self, but I’m not sure about the lighter one.

Hmm I was Googling and I think the darker coloured one MIGHT be an opal self, but I’m not sure about the lighter one.

The lighter one might be a tan self then? The silvery markings make me think so but it's difficult.

Are you in the US or abroad?
Also I’m assuming these are Netherland Dwarfs or Netherland Dwarf mixes?

For the US you are right about your darker rabbit. The color is called Opal. It is not a self color but would be shown in the Agouti Group.

For the lighter one I’m thinking it’s a Squirrel but it’s hard to tell because there are no side photos of the smaller bun.

As far as show quality the darker bun looks the most showable out of the two. But the biggest thing is that ears longer than 2.5in are a disqualification from show in the US. And if the ears aren’t that length they are still longer than ideal. I would say that the head and eye look good in proportion to each other and good roundness. Most dwarfs have a very broad head so more length between the eyes might be more ideal. As far as body type it’s very hard to tell how good or bad it is. The hindquarters May be a bit undercut from one of the photos but like I said without proper posing this will be hard to tell.

As far as the smaller bun the head is too narrow ears are too long and bone looks too fine. Eye shape and size looks good. He/she appears to be a younger animal and this might have some affect on type but I wouldn’t recommend attempting to show him or her.

They both are super adorable though!!

The lighter one might be a tan self then? The silvery markings make me think so but it's difficult.

Perhaps. :/ I’m not great at identifying colours unfortunately. I’m hoping I’ll get better at rabbit things with more experience.

Are you in the US or abroad?
Also I’m assuming these are Netherland Dwarfs or Netherland Dwarf mixes?

For the US you are right about your darker rabbit. The color is called Opal. It is not a self color but would be shown in the Agouti Group.

For the lighter one I’m thinking it’s a Squirrel but it’s hard to tell because there are no side photos of the smaller bun.

As far as show quality the darker bun looks the most showable out of the two. But the biggest thing is that ears longer than 2.5in are a disqualification from show in the US. And if the ears aren’t that length they are still longer than ideal. I would say that the head and eye look good in proportion to each other and good roundness. Most dwarfs have a very broad head so more length between the eyes might be more ideal. As far as body type it’s very hard to tell how good or bad it is. The hindquarters May be a bit undercut from one of the photos but like I said without proper posing this will be hard to tell.

As far as the smaller bun the head is too narrow ears are too long and bone looks too fine. Eye shape and size looks good. He/she appears to be a younger animal and this might have some affect on type but I wouldn’t recommend attempting to show him or her.

They both are super adorable though!!

Hi there! They really are adorable, I love them to bits. I’m actually in the UK. Does that make a difference for what the colour is called? They are Netherland Dwarf buns, both around 5/6 months of age now. I’m not sure what you mean by the hindquarters being undercut, could you please explain this to me? I’ve included some more photos here, will try to get a picture of the smaller one’s side profile and post it in this thread soon. How small is too small to breed from? I’m thinking of breeding them when they are older but I don’t want to put the smaller one at risk. She looks like she’s starting to fill out though.

PS Are you an exhibitor?

Attachments

• 9A4F44EC-C6C4-4EEB-B68F-78A534E1A10F.jpeg
    9A4F44EC-C6C4-4EEB-B68F-78A534E1A10F.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 64C68671-DB61-43EB-ACAB-89DA0669A382.jpeg
    64C68671-DB61-43EB-ACAB-89DA0669A382.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 22
Hi there! They really are adorable, I love them to bits. I’m actually in the UK. Does that make a difference for what the colour is called? They are Netherland Dwarf buns, both around 5/6 months of age now. I’m not sure what you mean by the hindquarters being undercut, could you please explain this to me? I’ve included some more photos here, will try to get a picture of the smaller one’s side profile and post it in this thread soon. How small is too small to breed from? I’m thinking of breeding them when they are older but I don’t want to put the smaller one at risk. She looks like she’s starting to fill out though.

PS Are you an exhibitor?

I looked up the BRC standard for them and they have both opal and squirrel so the names are the same :)

When I say undercut it means that instead of the hindquarters being filled all the way to the floor they round off too early. This makes the hindquarters look not as full and almost makes it look like they are carrying their butt off the floor if that makes sense? If you were to run your hand over the top line when they are posed when your hand hits the table you should still feel hindquarters where as if they are undercut your hand will turn into the rabbit before it hits the table? It’s just a common fault that a judge would comment on.

For dwarfs you don’t want the buck to be bigger than the doe at all. Dwarfs because of their wider skulls and bigger heads they have problems with stuck kits already. So if the buck is bigger than the doe you don’t want to use him.

And I used to be. I showed Californians in my senior year of high school and did really well and then I started breeding Tan Rabbits (the one in my photo). I showed and bred them for 8.5 years until just recently. I had to sell my entire herd because I left the US to come to the Caribbean to study at Vet School. My mom also showed bunnies she showed polish and Himalayan’s and we also had Britannia Petites (in the UK they are called Polish) for a little bit.

Latest posts

Back