What colour should I breed my does with?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmab92

Reaction score
I have 2 sisters, a blue self and a seal point. I want to purchase a Buck but I’m not sure which colour would be the best option for my girls to breed with?

Can anyone give any advice?

I do have to agree with @Dandy&Tuli4693. I don't have a problem with ethically breeding, but don't think it should be done just because you (not you specifically) want cute kittens.

When you start breeding, you should think about a lot of things. The first being "why do I want to breed.". As I said before, if the only reason you want to breed your rabbits is that they are cute and you want babies, I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to breed to improve the breed, better the breed's health and temperament, or something similar, sure.

As for colours, @SableSteel is the best here.

Please don't post unsolicited anti-breeding opinions in The Rabbitry

Saying "Well in reality you shouldn't breed bunnys, their are wayyyyyy to many abandoned ones at shelters that need homes So please consider getting your rabbits spayed!" Is unsolicited anti-breeding advice and this is not the place for it. You don't know what purpose they might have for breeding these rabbits. Constructive advice might be something like "make sure you are breeding these rabbits with a purpose, not just to get cute kits or to try and sell pets - it's hard to sell kits when the market is oversaturated with pet quality rabbits". A blanket statement like this doesn't help.

As for your question - it depends on a lot of factors. What breed is it? What are you trying to achieve? A self color like a black is probably a pretty safe bet. Sooty fawn usually pairs pretty well with both blue and with seal point. If you are breeding for show, look for type first, before you start looking at special colors.

Please don't post unsolicited anti-breeding opinions in The Rabbitry

Saying "Well in reality you shouldn't breed bunnys, their are wayyyyyy to many abandoned ones at shelters that need homes So please consider getting your rabbits spayed!" Is unsolicited anti-breeding advice and this is not the place for it. You don't know what purpose they might have for breeding these rabbits. Constructive advice might be something like "make sure you are breeding these rabbits with a purpose, not just to get cute kits or to try and sell pets - it's hard to sell kits when the market is oversaturated with pet quality rabbits". A blanket statement like this doesn't help.

As for your question - it depends on a lot of factors. What breed is it? What are you trying to achieve? A self color like a black is probably a pretty safe bet. Sooty fawn usually pairs pretty well with both blue and with seal point. If you are breeding for show, look for type first, before you start looking at special colors.
ah sorry!

Latest posts

Back