What colour is my mini lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shontelle

Reaction score
I have two mini lop rabbits, Fifi and Pods. I would like to know what colours they are classified as and if they have a special coat or how to tell. They have bred before so I would like to know if I do sell babies so that they are classed and priced accordingly as I see some babies listed for $60 while others are up to $200. Im confused whether they are tri-coloured or multicoloured or other, and if they are classed as cashmere or other. If you know a bit about colouring and fur please let me know. I have searched online but it is pretty tricky to understand. Pods (male) - Image 1 Fifi (female)- Image 2
0B890194-B5BB-4C2D-8DD1-7327BDAB5A4B.JPGIMG_5916.JPG

Fifi looks like a broken black tort, and Pod looks like a solid black tort. Tort is short for tortoise shell. Black tort is one of the most common colors among rabbits.

Pricing is totally up to you, it depends on variety, type and confirmation. Are they pedigreed? Do the babies have good type, and can be used at shows?

Fifi looks like a broken black tort, and Pod looks like a solid black tort. Tort is short for tortoise shell. Black tort is one of the most common colors among rabbits.

Pricing is totally up to you, it depends on variety, type and confirmation. Are they pedigreed? Do the babies have good type, and can be used at shows?
Thank you for that. As for the babies I’m not to sure. I bought the parents as pure mini lop from the pet store but that is it. I don’t have any papers or such. Funny thing is the babies don’t look like the other two at all. What colours would they be? Also I have heard words like cashmere, what does that mean?
612B80DF-03EA-40B0-A95C-ACB3A51C710D.jpegDADF05DF-F43F-4CF3-B41C-413922CC49E0.jpeg

Pods is a Broken Sooty Fawn / Broken Black Tortoise (depending on what color names you use - lops of that color under BRC standards, which australia uses, are usually called sooty fawn. In the US they're called tortoise). Fifi looks like an Orange. A tortoise wouldn't have those agouti markings on them - look at the white eye circles and jowls. Pods might be Butterfly pattern, instead of Broken... they're the same genetically, but Butterfly is used to describe a certain pattern of markings.

Cashmere means longhaired. These are not longhaired.

Honestly they look far from show quality. Not even entirely sure they're purebred from those pictures. Without a pedigree or show potential I wouldn't sell them for very much at all - only enough to cover expenses, if that. Rabbit breeding isn't a way to make money.

The babies look like a mixture of orange, broken orange, fawn and broken fawn. Maybe butterfly instead of broken, I can't see the markings too well and I'm not too experienced with those terms as I breed for ARBA standards not BRC.

Pods is a Broken Sooty Fawn / Broken Black Tortoise (depending on what color names you use - lops of that color under BRC standards, which australia uses, are usually called sooty fawn. In the US they're called tortoise). Fifi looks like an Orange. A tortoise wouldn't have those agouti markings on them - look at the white eye circles and jowls. Pods might be Butterfly pattern, instead of Broken... they're the same genetically, but Butterfly is used to describe a certain pattern of markings.

Honestly they look far from show quality. Not even entirely sure they're purebred from those pictures. Without a pedigree or show potential I wouldn't sell them for very much at all - only enough to cover expenses, if that. Rabbit breeding isn't a way to make money.

The babies look like a mixture of orange, broken orange, fawn and broken fawn. Maybe butterfly instead of broken, I can't see the markings too well and I'm not too experienced with those terms as I breed for ARBA standards not BRC.
Thank you so much for your answer it really helped :)

Also interested in what makes you think they are not purebred?

Latest posts

Back