What color would I get if I breed a BEW doe to a tort buck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gly

Reaction score
Hi!
What color will the offsprings be if I breed a BEW doe to a tort buck?
Appreciate any replies!

I am not perfect with genetics but there’s an website where you can put in the bunny couples and I find it’s usually pretty close to correct. It’s called Kim’s rabbit hutch and it tells you what colours you will most likely get:)

Reactions: Gly
Hi!
What color will the offsprings be if I breed a BEW doe to a tort buck?
Appreciate any replies!
Even though tort is a dominant gene, the outcomes of this pairing are dependent on what color the BEW is genetically. BEWs can genetically be any color hiding under a "white sheet". I don't advise breeding until you understand genetics! Is the BEW papered / pedigreed, or do you know what colors her parents were? This information will help determine her genetic color, therefore giving you the best prediction of her future babies.

Even though tort is a dominant gene, the outcomes of this pairing are dependent on what color the BEW is genetically. BEWs can genetically be any color hiding under a "white sheet". I don't advise breeding until you understand genetics! Is the BEW papered / pedigreed, or do you know what colors her parents were? This information will help determine her genetic color, therefore giving you the best prediction of her future babies.
This is the pedigree of the BEW unfortunately her grandma is a chestnut and I don’t want chestnut😨

Attachments

• 72992AAE-334A-40AF-A0E7-C1D74D8EE89B.jpeg
    72992AAE-334A-40AF-A0E7-C1D74D8EE89B.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 9
This is the pedigree of the BEW unfortunately her grandma is a chestnut and I don’t want chestnut😨
There is a high chance she is chestnut genetically, but seeing that she carries a lot of BEW / unknown colors, it is still difficult to decipher what she could be! I am assuming you will get shaded and agouti colorings from this pairing, but @SableSteel should know more for you.

Reactions: Gly
There is a high chance she is chestnut genetically, but seeing that she carries a lot of BEW / unknown colors, it is still difficult to decipher what she could be! I am assuming you will get shaded and agouti colorings from this pairing, but @SableSteel should know more for you.
Thank uuuu😭😭😭

Thank uuuu😭😭😭
I noticed that she was just born last month; hopefully she is still with her mom until old enough to be weaned!

I still have so much to learn regarding rabbit genetics, but as I understand it, agouti is a dominant gene, possibly even over tort.

I noticed that she was just born last month; hopefully she is still with her mom until old enough to be weaned!

I still have so much to learn regarding rabbit genetics, but as I understand it, agouti is a dominant gene, possibly even over tort.
Yes! I will pick her up in may and I am still learning genetics as well. I plan to breed my tort to a magpie to get more magpies and harlequins, and I also plan to breed him to the BEW to get the vm or vc(but now I’m unsure if I would keep her since she carries the chestnut genes). Do you think it’s safer to breed him to a light colored vm or vc to get light colored babies?

Yes! I will pick her up in may and I am still learning genetics as well. I plan to breed my tort to a magpie to get more magpies and harlequins, and I also plan to breed him to the BEW to get the vm or vc(but now I’m unsure if I would keep her since she carries the chestnut genes). Do you think it’s safer to breed him to a light colored vm or vc to get light colored babies?
Why are you waiting until May to pick her up, instead of the standard time to get a baby (2 months of age). Additionally, how do you already have her pedigree before buying the rabbit?

Breeding to a lighter colored bunny won't simply eliminate the chance to get chestnuts, like I said it is extremely important to understand the basic genetics before starting breeding like crazy without having a clue what the outcomes will be.

Breeding your tort to magpie will most likely get torted harlequins :)

Why are you waiting until May to pick her up, instead of the standard time to get a baby (2 months of age). Additionally, how do you already have her pedigree before buying the rabbit?

Breeding to a lighter colored bunny won't simply eliminate the chance to get chestnuts, like I said it is extremely important to understand the basic genetics before starting breeding like crazy without having a clue what the outcomes will be.

Breeding your tort to magpie will most likely get torted harlequins :)
I have big tests to prepare so I paid the boarding fee for the breeder to keep her for me until may(I paid the cost and the boarding fee in advance). I also have a broken frosty buck, if I breed him to the magpie will I get more magpies?

Latest posts

Back