What color is this rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.leo.

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been researching and looking at a lot of rabbits for adoption. There is one bunny who I've been particularly interested in. She's not mine (yet) and this photo is from the rescue. (I wouldn't keep her in a cage like the one you see in the picture.)
I'd just like to know what this coloration would be called.
She's a English Spot/Flemish Giant mix if that is helpful.
fc4fe15a-0795-46ac-ad59-502b9154bcc9.jpg

-- leo

I'm not great with coloring but that looks like magpie.

Her color is Black Magpie

She is 100% most definitely not an English Spot/Flemish Giant cross. I don't see any feature of either of those breeds in her (flemish crosses usually have large ears, long fur and thick bone, english spot spot crosses are usually slender and tall). Neither of those breeds have the genetics to make that color: you need the chinchilla gene and harlequin gene to make magpie. English spots don't have the chinchilla OR harlequin gene and flemish giants don't have the harlequin gene. Even if we're saying that some Magpie colored rabbit was bred to an English Spot/Flemish it would take multiple generations to get back to this color as those genes are recessive. I just don't see how this rabbit could be either English Spot or Flemish cross, and I don't know where the rescue even got that breed mix. They often just call anything relatively large a Flemish and anything with white/black pattern an English spot.

In reality, this rabbit is probably a mixed breed, but if you had to put a breed label on it (for pet insurance or whatever) it looks closest to the breed "Harlequin" (Harlequins are a relatively rare meat breed that doesn't really end up in the pet trade often so it's unlikely to be a purebred Harlequin as well.)

Her color is Black Magpie

She is 100% most definitely not an English Spot/Flemish Giant cross. I don't see any feature of either of those breeds in her (flemish crosses usually have large ears, long fur and thick bone, english spot spot crosses are usually slender and tall). Neither of those breeds have the genetics to make that color: you need the chinchilla gene and harlequin gene to make magpie. English spots don't have the chinchilla OR harlequin gene and flemish giants don't have the harlequin gene. Even if we're saying that some Magpie colored rabbit was bred to an English Spot/Flemish it would take multiple generations to get back to this color as those genes are recessive. I just don't see how this rabbit could be either English Spot or Flemish cross, and I don't know where the rescue even got that breed mix. They often just call anything relatively large a Flemish and anything with white/black pattern an English spot.

In reality, this rabbit is probably a mixed breed, but if you had to put a breed label on it (for pet insurance or whatever) it looks closest to the breed "Harlequin" (Harlequins are a relatively rare meat breed that doesn't really end up in the pet trade often so it's unlikely to be a purebred Harlequin as well.)

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm not surprised that she's a mixed breed, it doesn't matter to me anyhow. I'm going to go visit her at the shelter in august/september, so I'll see if she looks any different in person.
I'm not sure her exact size, it just says "XL" on the rescue page. Ha.
Anyhow, thanks again.

Latest posts

Back