What can I use instead of litter ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbiemybunny

Reaction score
I ran out of rabbit litter for robbies litter box , what else can I use ?

Shredded paper in a pinch, if you can't buy anything right now. Hay. Crumpled up toilet paper or kitchen roll, covered with hay. Or whatever.

If you can buy stuff: Wood stove pellets. Great stuff.

What did you use?

Shredded paper in a pinch, if you can't buy anything right now. Hay. Crumpled up toilet paper or kitchen roll, covered with hay. Or whatever.

If you can buy stuff: Wood stove pellets. Great stuff.

What did you use?
Okay thanks !
I usually use wood pellets for his litter box but I ran out and I'm not sure that his litter box will last till Saturday so I will try one of tjemN

Using pee pads is very risky, you never know when your rabbit will decide to chew on it and plastic can cause blockage which is very dangerous and many rabbits die from them. Also they don't really absorb well, best you can use is pine wood pellets, they are easy to use, absorb urine well and naturally deodorize and disinfect, also they break down and your toilet's content can be easily added to your compost bin, that would improve your compost dramatically. There is no point in using plastic pee pads really.

Using pee pads is very risky, you never know when your rabbit will decide to chew on it and plastic can cause blockage which is very dangerous and many rabbits die from them. Also they don't really absorb well, best you can use is pine wood pellets, they are easy to use, absorb urine well and naturally deodorize and disinfect, also they break down and your toilet's content can be easily added to your compost bin, that would improve your compost dramatically. There is no point in using plastic pee pads really.
True, if they could see it to chew it. But how I have it, until a new batch of litter comes in, is filled the box full of hay, to the brim, and both enjoy it. It gives them unlimited hay and they don't think about the pad. They did when I had litter in their boxes. 👀

Before shelters grasped the concept that rabbits can be litter trained, they would place newspapers in the bottom of a guinea pig caging unit or cubicle. Or lightly fill lhe small space with shavings. This was observed when rabbits withdrawn from high-vol shelters came our way and their feet were urine-stained yellow.

I hope you can locate a suitable bedding material until you acquire more rabbit-suitable bedding.

In the case of our disabled girl with healing femur fracture, we simply lined her small area with cotton towels and hay cover, and did additional laundry.

I bought walnut she'll cat litter at pet smart and used that for both my rabbits. They never got any respertory issues and it is easy to clean and you can see if they pee evetyy day. And no oder. I had plastic cages .

I bought walnut she'll cat litter at pet smart and used that for both my rabbits. They never got any respertory issues and it is easy to clean and you can see if they pee evetyy day. And no oder. I had plastic cages .

Please do not use any clumping cat litters for rabbits. Walnut shell is a clumping litter. If a rabbit ingests it, the clumping can occur in their gut causing a fatal blockage.

Please do not use any clumping cat litters for rabbits. Walnut shell is a clumping litter. If a rabbit ingests it, the clumping can occur in their gut causing a fatal blockage.
Yes that is true! I'm sorry for not mentioning that I didn't realise that was a clumping litter !

Latest posts

Back