What can I grow in my own yard or indoors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D

This year I planned to use the garden and grow a bit of veggies and herbs, I had pre-sowed and also sowed seeds directly. The pre-sowed had started to sprout and looked really healthy and I planted it outdoors after april. Also the sowed seeds in yard started to germinate but then the weather struck.

How could I predict it would started to snow in may and the temperature would drop, killing all my plants. Even the mynt plants indoor aren't taking a good sprout and keep on dying, can't figure out what's wrong. They all look so weak when they start to grow. Even watching youtube and do research, my plants keep on dying and the bunnies don't give much help. They manage to snatch and eat the plants before they even had change to fully grow. All the plants I grow are safe for the bunnies to eat.

I'm literally going crazy while the plant I tried to let die keep on surviving like a undead fighting plant, that keep on figting for survival. But the bunnies enjoy eating that plant, at least they get a bit of greens. The plant that keep on surviving is a parsley plant but I have parsley growing in the yard, so I don't need the extra plant.

Maybe I'll try to plant flowers and see if they will have a fighting changes to survive or if they will killed some way. Specially when veggies and herbs didn't work one bit for me. The only things that survive growing are seeds that become a tree, but it's not fun filling the house with a lot of different tree plants. They become so big and heavy later on and I don't know what to do with them. I have over 10 citrus tree and 2 avocado but only one citrius give me fruits every year the rest of the citrus show different grow stages. Like one seem to just be a month old while the one with fruits seem to be a few years old but all the citrus was planted the same time, got the same soil, water and treatment. They also get rest during winter and good weather they get to be outdoor basking in the sun. Don't even know how the avocado trees survived but at least two died after 2 years when the soiled was changed :/

I truly need a bit of tips on plants that are easy to grow and are safe for the bunnies to eat but also hard to kill. I seem to be a master on killing my plants and the bunnies also give me a helping hand behind my back.

Attachments

• 10BE8430-91D2-4A0D-9895-5325FCBC954E.png
    10BE8430-91D2-4A0D-9895-5325FCBC954E.png
    791.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 4A0AB395-BA4C-46F7-94E3-A368AD761C15.jpeg
    4A0AB395-BA4C-46F7-94E3-A368AD761C15.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 2
I'm not totally sure which flowers would be good. I am actually really good at killing plants. 😂 I had too cacti and one somehow got eaten by bugs, the other i over-watered 🤦‍♀️ We use tarps to cover our tomato plants during spring frosts. I'm not familiar with temperatures in Sweden though. Also, you said you have an avocado tree? That's soo cool! I love avocados. You probably know, but avocados are toxic to bunnies.

@helena the trees are sectioned off from the bunnies, so they can’t get them. The reason why I want plants that are safe, so I can grow plants that both the bunnies and I can enjoy.

Also the temperature this may is the same as if it would be april or mars which is really weird 😅

The avocado tree was something I would never expect surviving.

I truly need a bit of tips on plants that are easy to grow and are safe for the bunnies to eat but also hard to kill.

Jerusalem artichockes (Topinambur). I planted them around the hutches for shade (up to 4.5m tall), feed all the surplus greens, and dig up the tubers in winter, for me (it's kind of an aquired taste though) and the rabbits.
Rather hard to kill, would need mowing regularily for 2 years, or letting the bunnies do the job. I have to protect the plants from bunnies until they are about knee high before I can remove the fence.
There are different variants, I prefer the early one.

I was trying to find a better photo, but this one might give the general idea. The basil in this pot can be eaten by a rabbit but the rabbit can't eat it all the way down to nothing. This means it can keep re-growing.

You can accomplish a similar thing outside in a garden if you put a sheet of wired mesh a few inches above the soil. Bunnies can eat a plant down without eating all the way down. The plants can then keep growing up through the wire. Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• basil-for-rabbit.jpg
    basil-for-rabbit.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the tips, I’ll go buy a few basil plants and see if they will survive and I’ll look into Jerusalem artichockes ☺️

Latest posts

Back