What Cage to Get??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaffleTheif

New Bunny Addict
Reaction score
WaffleTheif here! I am wondering about a cage to get. There's a fairly large one at Stockman's I was looking at. It has a metal bottom, with square holes. (Not sure what it's called!!) Would that hurt my bunny's feet? Or should I just go for an expensive hutch? I'd be putting it outside, of course! :p (Dad and Sister are allergic, so I cannot keep them inside.)

~Waffle

Last edited:
I'm no expert but from everything I've found a solid flooring is best for bunny feet. My buns are indoor buns & their "cage home" is an xpen. Wire flooring is not good for bunny feet.

If you are going to apply to adopt a rescue, make contact with the rescue people. What sort of accommodation you'll need may depend on who is suitable for you to adopt and what he or she is used to. Sometimes, bunnies being rehomed will come with their hutch. If I were you, I'd read up on what is needed but don't be in a hurry to buy.

Wire flooring is not bad for feet unless there is absolutely no resting spot in the cage. All of our buns are on wire floor but are provided with a ceramic tile to lay on.

I agree with larry on this one. If you are handy building one is a great investment and less expensive. Some of those outdoor hutches can get pretty pricey.

Alright. I'll take all these answers into consideration. (I'm not sure about building my own though; not a good builder, haha.)

~Waffle

I'd be putting it outside, of course! :p

~Waffle

Hi there!
I saw from your other post that you are considering adopting from a rescue. I've gotten almost every one of my rabbits over the years from a rescue. It's a great way to go. The fact that they are usually already neutered/spayed is a big plus.

You might want to check with your rescue, though, before purchasing any kind of hutch. They often have size requirements. The rescues I've dealt with also require bunnies be housed indoors. That brings up my question to you. -- you said you'd be putting it outside "of course." I was curious as to why you said that. There are a large number (if not the majority) here on RO that house our rabbits indoors. Were you aware that they can be kept inside?

Tauntz mentioned using an x-pen. That is one simple, inexpensive way to house a rabbit indoors. (Maybe she'll see this and post a photo of hers) But just so you can get a picture of what this can look like...
k2q14.jpg

It's a subject of debate, but I generally believe rabbits, and all pets, thrive best when kept indoors. If you're keeping a rabbit as a sole companion, I don't really see the point in keeping it outside where it's exposed to diseases, predators, and the elements; neither you nor the animal benefit from this arrangement. They're highly social animals and need companionship, which they wouldn't get sitting alone in a backyard all day. Also, many rescues require that rabbits be kept in indoor housing.

I use a 42" tall 4x4' exercise pen...Sugar is a heck of a jumper, and can easily clear a 30" pen (as I found out when I first tried the x-pen that worked beautifully for my Pekingese!). Pens provide the maximum floor space for less than the cost of a hutch, and is MUCH easier to clean. Litter-box-training your rabbit will also help in keeping the space clean (a very natural behavior, and many rescue rabbits come pre-trained). A mat, tarp, or no-wax flooring can cover the floor of the pen to protect your house. Many people also use NIC (Nice Idea Cube) panels connected with zip ties to build their own cages. Both are very roomy, economical options.

Blue Eyes,
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my dad and sister are SEVERELY allergic to rabbits, and I cannot possibly keep it inside my house; already tried with Muffin, my past rabbit. So indoors is not even an option right now. I hope it's okay to keep mine outdoors, or I won't be able to get one until I get old enough to move out...(which will be in forever) But yes, I know that it's okay to keep bunnies outside too.
~Waffle

Last edited:
I've had outside bunnies for years but now mine are making their way inside. But, I don't judge you for having them outside; I completely understand. I find building on to be the best. It is much cheaper that way and also you can build a nicer and also custom cage. This is the route we went for outside buns and they thrived. The one we had in the hutch from the pet store just had a harder time of it due to the size cage and design that wasn't so ideal. Maybe i can get a picture of our setup for the outside buns up or something similar.

Thanks, Bunnylova4eva! I'd love to see some pics! Maybe I'll try my hand at building a hutch. Of course, I'd have to have my sister's help. ;)

~Waffle

Housing rabbits outdoors is perfectly fine. There is a benefit to an indoor setup as far as temperature control and less risk from predators, which are valid reasons to bring rabbits inside. But as long as their hutch is raised several feet off the ground and kept in a shady spot, rabbits are fine and even thrive outdoors. I know mine are elated when they have the opportunity to spend time in their "natural" environment. As natural as it gets for domestic rabbits, anyway. The main reason for the recent trend of house rabbits is to encourage pet owners to spend time with their animals. As long as you make time to give your rabbit attention, an outdoor setup will be a-okay. :)

The all-wire cages are not appropriate for outdoor use. They are best suited for indoors (shed, garage, etc.) If you house a rabbit outside, a wooden hutch with three wooden sides, a wire grate floor, and at least half one side wire is best. Do not purchase one of the hutches with three open wire sides, they aren't protective enough in inclement weather. Also, do not go with a solid bottom hutch, for sanitation reasons. Just add a piece of wood or cardboard to rest on that can be changed out easily.

This is a good example of a secure hutch:

http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/4/4011905623726C.jpg

It doesn't have to be that fancy. They're pretty easy to build, if you have someone handy in the family. But that's a nice general design.

Latest posts

Back