What breed is my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiskw

Reaction score
Hello, I got a rabbit as a gift 2 months ago and I don't know what breed he is, as I didn't go to a vet yet. He currently has helicopter ears, so he is probably a lop mix. Please help, I'm really curious. I don't know how old he is either.

Attachments

• iep1.jpg
    iep1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 26
  • iep2.jpg
    iep2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 24
Who got him for you? And if you know, where did they get him from? If it was from a shelter, the shelter should know. If he was from a breeder, the breeder will know. But if he was form a pet store, it’s possible that they have a record but they might not. I’m not good at breed at all, sorry!

@Blue eyes @Theo @Hermelin @zupper

Thanks for the mention
The color is "black tortoise" but this doesn't look like a purebred rabbit to me. It's hard to tell what mix rabbits are, as they all sort of tend to look like rabbit-shaped rabbits after a single generation (unlike dogs, where they keep a lot of the traits of the breeds they're mixed from). It could very likely be a lop mix - though it wouldn't be a holland lop cross, as those are found in Romania. Potentially a mini lop mix?

Thank you all for your replies!

@SableSteel shows(ed) rabbits and is good at identifying breed.

Rabbit looks young but it's hard to get size perspective without something in photo for comparison.

Are the photos current? I don't see any helicopter ears.
No, they aren't current, but he looks mostly the same, except for a loppy ear.

Thanks for the mention
The color is "black tortoise" but this doesn't look like a purebred rabbit to me. It's hard to tell what mix rabbits are, as they all sort of tend to look like rabbit-shaped rabbits after a single generation (unlike dogs, where they keep a lot of the traits of the breeds they're mixed from). It could very likely be a lop mix - though it wouldn't be a holland lop cross, as those are found in Romania. Potentially a mini lop mix?

Thanks, you seem to be right. I guess there really is no way to know for sure, but I'm happy with what you told me.

In the states, that color is often called cinnamon, but there is a primarily European breed called Thuringer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuringer_(rabbit) that has that coloration. That color morph can be found in a large number of breeds though, so until the bunny is older or you are able to meet it's parents it's really just a guess.

It's a beauty!

Latest posts

Back