What breed is my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengal77

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is Lily. I adopted her from a wonderful local rabbit rescue. Her foster mom was unsure of her breed and age although the vet says that she is full grown. They estimate that she is about a year old based on her teeth and overall condition. (I think that she was probably an Easter present last year so probably about 10 months old)

She weighs about 4 pounds and her coloring is sable point.
Here are some photos.

FL51714659248-1-pn.jpg

DSC00695.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

Oh, she is so cute! I'm thinking part lop because her ears seem almost horizontal at times - though otherwise her face doesn't particularly look loppy.

Really? I never would have guessed part lop. Her ears shift between vertical and horizontal but I've never seen them completely folded down. They're definitely not the usual stick-straight-up ears, unless she's busy listening to something.

If you look at the lop in my avatar, you can see how far apart his ears are, which is what makes them lop. Your bun seems to have ears that are halfway between where a lop's ears would be and where a regular bun's ears would be, which makes them stick our horizontally at times. That's why I guessed part lop.

Though like I said, her face doesn't look loppy at all ... hopefully someone who's better at breed guessing will come along!

I would honestly guess that she is a New Zealand/Californian Cross.... They can have improper ear carriage, which causes their ears to look like that.

Could she be a mini lop/ mini rex mix? Her fur is normal and not the super short velveteen of the mini rex but her skull shape, coloring, and ear shape (pointy tipped) appear to match this breed. And the mini lop could account for her helicopter ears and the length of her fur.

It doesn't really matter to me, I was just curious. Thank you for taking a look and guessing. :)

There is another possibility of other breeds like Mini Satin and Holland Lop. Something that they have pointed in, because she is a very lightly colored pointed. Her head is too wide to be from rex I think.... It looks more commercial to me, which would make me think either smaller breed to NZ, which could cause her to be so small (I also had some really small cali's when I used to raise them.. and some people's lines of cali's were super small..)

Defintely not Cali/NZ cross. Too little for either of those. ;)

I'd say a Holland Lop cross with possibly another type of dwarf. Mini Lops are 5 lbs; Hollands are the smallest. There might be a hint of Mini Rex in there.

It's really hard to tell exactly what a mixed bred is, because they're just that, a mixed bred. ;)

Emily

Latest posts

Back