What breed is my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karine

Reaction score
Joshua was sold to me as a Flemish Giant. I have never questioned it until a friend said that he doesn't look anything like a Flemish Giant.

Here is a picture of Joshua. He is 7 months old and weighs 14 pounds.

Why does your friend say he doesn't look anything like a flemish giant? Tiny is about 14 months old and 18 pounds (maybe more by now).

Here's some photos..

Peg

The size is right, but the body type seems heavier, and the head is more like some of the commercial breeds (Pal, NZ).....the fur color looks almost chinchilla. What an interesting combination! Gorgeous whatever he is. Peg, do you think the ears look shorter compared to Tiny's?

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
The size is right, but the body type seems heavier, and the head is more like some of the commercial breeds (Pal, NZ).....the fur color looks almost chinchilla. What an interesting combination! Gorgeous whatever he is. Peg, do you think the ears look shorter compared to Tiny's?

Rose

I don't know if they're shorter...or less "full"....Tiny's ears seem to spread out so much.

I think I'm about to go weigh my big boy...(anyone want to wish me luck?)....

Peg

Well, I was wrong about Tiny - I thought he was around 18 pounds - but he is actually a touch over 15 pounds (we just got new digital scales that are really accurate). I knew he'd been 15 pounds the last time he went to the vet - but it has seemed like he put on weight. I guess he hasn't.

However, he has been active a lot more the last 2-3 weeks during the daytime....so I wonder if he's worked some of it off...

Peg

I'm reconsidering the ears--they look huge in the new pic!:)

The weight issue is a bit difficult because it depends on body type. My general rule of thumb is, if the ribs feel sharp and just under the skin, too thin. If you have to push to find the ribs, too chubby. Flemish have a different body type than the Pals and Hols I raise, though, so listen to Peg, she's got a Flemmy!

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
I'm reconsidering the ears--they look huge in the new pic!:)

The weight issue is a bit difficult because it depends on body type. My general rule of thumb is, if the ribs feel sharp and just under the skin, too thin. If you have to push to find the ribs, too chubby. Flemish have a different body type than the Pals and Hols I raise, though, so listen to Peg, she's got a Flemmy!

Rose
Well - the thing I keep thinking is how different breeders will work on different features. For example - wasn't it Apollo that was bred to have a large head? His head was obviously different than Tiny's - yet they both were flemish.

I agree with Rose on how to tell if your rabbit is too thin or chubby. Tiny seems "just right". Since he's still under 18 months and growing - he gets unlimited rabbit food with some calf mana added...and of course all the hay (and grass and leaves outside) that he wants. He gets lots of exercise outside too though - so I'm wondering if that is why he doesn't weigh as much as I thought he did - he has started binkying more lately.

Yeah - I lean towards agreeing that this is a flemmy...and I love the color. Is it steel? I forget what the colors are supposed to be for flemmies..

Peg

Tiny, The Flemish Bunfather here....to say

WELCOME TO THE BOARD Karine & Joshua! :happybunny:

It sure is nice to see another Flemmie on here.....your parents will learn so much about how to give you the best of care and the best treats too!

:hug:

Ooops....I hear mom coming back to her computer....I better log off and binky away. I'm supposed to only stick to my thread "Tiny's Tall Texan Tales" but sometimes a guy just can't resist sneaking in to welcome a fellow flemmie...

The BunFather

Latest posts

Back