What breed is my bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneMaple

Reaction score
Tokki is 6 months old and weighs 1,5kg. His fur is, I'd say, medium-length.
His unusual color scheme got me confused, and I cannot figure out his breed no matter how many bunny pictures I look up for comparison.

7302ed9d0e.jpeg

7302ebfc07.jpeg
730280e609.jpeg

He's mostly pitch black, save for the white diamond shape on this nose, some white fur around his neck and white "socks" on each of his feet. He's got a bit of dark brown fur on his sides/underbelly, which is very hard to see in bad lighting.

Interestingly enough Tokki has blue eyes, one of which has sectoral heterochromia (dark brown/black on top and blue on the bottom), so there's a Vienna gene in there somewhere!

7302a8dacb.jpeg

Is he just a mix of several breeds? Is there a name for his coloring? I don't know much about his parents, but when I bought him from a private seller I chose him over his brother, who was all white.

Was his brother all white with blue eyes? If so, then there’s a good chance he is a Vienna marked Black in coloring (the marbeled eye suggests this as well). As for breed, I’m unsure on that one! He’s definitely a cross of something from the looks of it. Very gorgeous boy!

Very beautiful bunny! He is definitely half Dutch, and most likely half Mini Rex. Aside from the eye color, he looks a lot like my girl, Oreo and a bunny named Bucky that I had for a while-- they are both Dutch and Mini Rex. Her son, Panda has blue eyes.

Rabbits with white noses ❤❤

Attachments

• 20181125_213659.jpg
    20181125_213659.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181002_160006.jpg
    20181002_160006.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 22
Was his brother all white with blue eyes? If so, then there’s a good chance he is a Vienna marked Black in coloring (the marbeled eye suggests this as well). As for breed, I’m unsure on that one! He’s definitely a cross of something from the looks of it. Very gorgeous boy!
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I believe his brother also had blue eyes. I don't know a lot about rabbit breeds but I'm sure Tokki is a mix as well.

Very beautiful bunny! He is definitely half Dutch, and most likely half Mini Rex. Aside from the eye color, he looks a lot like my girl, Oreo and a bunny named Bucky that I had for a while-- they are both Dutch and Mini Rex. Her son, Panda has blue eyes.

Rabbits with white noses ❤❤
He sure looks like a cross between Dutch and Mini Rex, that's a good guess! I love your bunnies - you're right, the smaller one looks a lot like my bun :D

Thank you, I love your bunny's white boots and gloves, and eye color. Are they two different colors? Such a handsome guy❤
It's the same shade of blue on both eyes. It's just that the right iris is half brown, half blue. And the white socks/gloves are so cute! I don't see them often in pictures of other bunnies.
If your bunny (Oreo?) had blue eyes she'd almost be Tokki's identical twin! :p

He’s a vienna marked bunny ^^, myself own two bunnies with vienna marks and they can be really different on their color schemes. Both my vienna have brown and blue colors in their eyes. I truly love the different eye colors [emoji175]

So I would guess Dutch with either a loop breed like holland lop or bigger lop bun ^^

I would not say dutch. The vienna gene causes those same dutch-like markings but is much more likely to cause blue eyes so I would say your rabbit had the vienna gene, not the dutch gene. The base color looks like it might be seal instead of black. We can't say anything for certain on breed, the vienna gene is fairly common in a lot of smaller 'pet' type breeds (mini rex, netherland dwarf, and holland lop included)

Latest posts

Back