What breed and color are my rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got them from a local lady. She thinks they are mini rex or silver fox but isnt sure. They came to me with 8 kits. She pulled a lot of fur and her belly is usually white with some brown. This is the only photo I could get of dad. I also attached pictures of their previous 2 litters from her.They are about 4 years old. Havent weighed them yet.
Photo May 29, 1 51 01 PM (1).jpg Photo May 29, 1 51 52 PM.jpg Photo May 29, 2 44 21 PM.jpg Photo May 29, 2 44 29 PM.jpg Photo May 29, 2 44 46 PM.jpg Photo May 29, 2 45 17 PM.jpg Photo May 29, 2 45 23 PM.jpg Photo May 29, 2 45 32 PM.jpg Photo May 02, 5 03 12 PM.jpg Photo May 29, 12 35 02 AM.jpg

Last edited:
They all look like mixed breeds to me. Definitely not silver fox. Mini Rex mix could be a possibility but they aren’t full bred as they don’t have the right hair. Mom is a black otter and dad looks like a broken black otter possibly.

The four babies you have pictured starting on the left look blue, black (not sure about the white mark on top of the head), broken blue otter and a blue otter.

What kind of fur should they have? Right now they are heavily shedding plus mom pulled quite a bit for her nest.

Mini rex should have very short velvety hair, where the guard hairs are about the same length as the undercoat so that when you pet the rabbit you can only feel the soft undercoat. In pictures, you can rarely see the fur texture of the rex fur because it is so short and fine, and they also usually curled whiskers which your rabbits do not have. They also do not have the right fur for a Silver fox. Silver fox have standing fur - which is very long and thick compared to normal fur and resembles the fur of an actual fox. Her color looks like a silver marten to me; in the UK that's called silver fox (and has a breed by the same name) so maybe that's where the seller got confused.

His color looks like maybe a broken blue otter? Hard to tell from this picture. The older babies look like a blue, booted/vm black, broken blue otter and blue otter. Can't tell on the younger ones yet. They're definitely mixed breeds

8EBD2A96-7D02-4C98-812D-DDEC055AE316.jpeg Thanks. Those were previous litters. Didnt know if it would help in telling what they were. Here are the 8 I have. 2 look like dad except one is black/white and one is grey/white. The other 6 are white with red eyes.

Latest posts

Back