what brand/type cages for a big rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2026

Reaction score
Are there any large cages -habitats available that are easy to clean where a rabbit or two would be happy when it wasn't playing with people?

I'd like to hear experiences of members with some of the larger cages.

Well, NIC cages are a great option. You can make them any size or shape, and they are SOOO much cheaper than store bought cages. They are grids that you attatch together to form the cage. You can get them at Costco, Target, etc. in the storage section. They come in different colors, and if you put a sheet of chloroplast as the floor, they are easy to clean.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

^ Thats a thread so you can see what all of us have built

Good luck!

We've got 2 of the larges bunny cages that I could find commercially available. One is manufactured by Machiorio and we got it at Pet Supplies Plus. The other we found barely used at a garage sale. (I think that it is made by Super Pets). They have plastic bases and wire tops that snap on. I've found it necessary to put something on the bottom for traction. In the past I've used towels/blankets...but currently we use Oasis Magic Mats. They are awesome: cool, great tread, and if the bunny has an accident or spills water it goes through the grooves so the bunny stays dry.

The downside of plastic bottomed cages is the cleaning. They are cumbersome to move about or take outside to hose down.

I do plan to get some NIC grids this fall to build my bunnies something even larger...but these cages would definitely house large rabbits.

Hope you find the right home for your bunny friend!

Thanks
! need something easy for young kids to clean. The NIC cages are good for that?

By the way Hazel didn't really live in the mailbox.

NIC cages are very easy to clean because you can make huge doors for them. My first cage was one of those plastic bottom pet store ones, and the door was so small it was a real pain to clean and to get Mocha out of if I needed to pick her up.

Other good options are large dog crates and dog exercise pens. But I'm an NIC fan. :D

I'm a NIC fan too! :D

They are the cheapest and best cages for rabbits, IMO. I use them for all three of my rabbits, even with Bruno my French Lop. His cage is very easy to clean! It has a coroplast tray inside the grids so I just have to take out all the mess he makes and wipe it down.

Here's Bruno's cage after I made it. It only took me an evening to put together, and is working fabulously for me :D.

Bunnypictures-Leanne435.jpg

For the base, I took a sheet of coroplast, measured it and cut it so I would have enough room to make the sides. Then I scored it on all 4 sides, and cut slits in them to make flaps. Very easy to clean!

The cage is working ok for Bruno, but I know he'd quite like one a bit bigger ;).

Spring wrote:
I'm a NIC fan too! :D

Bunnypictures-Leanne435.jpg

For the base, I took a sheet of coroplast, measured it and cut it so I would have enough room to make the sides. Then I scored it on all 4 sides, and cut slits in them to make flaps. Very easy to clean!

Spring,

Can you possibly post some close-up pics of the coroplast corner flaps? I would love to see more closely how you did it.

Thanks!

Mary Ellen

Sure! That was before I taped them.

I have some leftover coroplast, so I can just make a little tray out of that to show how I did that.

For a Flemish giant I would never feel of with NIC cage. My girl may she rest in peace would jump against her pen when being fed. Her weight could knock me down I would never feel safe with the NIC.

I would say a very very large dog crate my personal choice would be a pen.

Latest posts

Back