What brand of pelleta do you use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Oxbow Bunny Basics T. It's a timothy hay based pellet. My buns all love it. It's got pretty good fiber content. Bunnies should have hay available to them all the time as it's a great source of fiber to keep them healthy. Bunnies chew on hay throughout the day so they should be able to access some hay anytime.

Here's a thread in the RO library that lists some popular pellet brands and their contents.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12160&forum_id=17

Unlimited hay should always be given to rabbits, so yes!

I feed my 4 bunnies a mix of Oxbow BBT & Oxbow 15/23. My foster gets Purina Fibre3. I am going to be switching my own bunnies over to Purina Fibre3 once they are done with their bags of Oxbow because I no longer see a difference in feeding timothy or alfalfa based and I personally feel that Purina's pellets are more quality....I bought a 50lbs bag of Oxbow and its pure dust and the pellets aren't as fresh looking & smelling as Purina!!

I need hay racks. Lol I toss a big handfull of hay into their cages once a day. Bermuda grass! Cheap, soft, AMAZING for nests.

I'm currently feeding Purina show. Love it- it works for my rabbits, though it is EXPENSIVE when you've got lots of rabbits. Right now we go through 3 bags a month.

Amy- How does the Fiber3 work for you? When I fed it it caused some major condition problems. I haven't tried the new formula, but I won a bag of it in a raffle two weeks ago. I'm just gonna put it in the raffle at our show this weekend since it's not what I use, but I was wondering how Jenson does on it?

Erins Rabbits wrote:
Amy- How does the Fiber3 work for you? When I fed it it caused some major condition problems. I haven't tried the new formula, but I won a bag of it in a raffle two weeks ago. I'm just gonna put it in the raffle at our show this weekend since it's not what I use, but I was wondering how Jenson does on it?
I have had Jenson on it for about a week or so and I haven't notice anything bad. He is shedding a bit down by his tail, but it is the shedding time of year :p. If I notice him acting different, loosing weight, or shedding excessively...then I will just donate this bag to the Humane Society or find a 4her who wants it and go buy the purple bag for him (he was on that before) :).

undergunfire wrote:
I have had Jenson on it for about a week or so and I haven't notice anything bad. He is shedding a bit down by his tail, but it is the shedding time of year :p. If I notice him acting different, loosing weight, or shedding excessively...then I will just donate this bag to the Humane Society or find a 4her who wants it and go buy the purple bag for him (he was on that before) :).
Ah, okay. I just had my two champagnes on it as a test and they started losing weight, poss a fluke, but I'm not one to take chances- plus, why fix what's not broken, right? I still have about half a bag of it (plus the one I won) and I've been using it to make rabbit treats. :D

undergunfire wrote:
I no longer see a difference in feeding timothy or alfalfa based
What is your rabbits diet like other than pellets? I just got back a rabbit who had been on timothy pellets and I am really disappointed in her condition. Based on what I have now seen of timothy pellets, I would never recommend them to anyone.

But what I was thinking was that maybe timothy pellets are made to be more like a supplement to feed. I know that most people who use them use them alongside a vegetable diet. Maybe there is something to that and since she was just on the timothy pellets and hay, it did not work out well for her since just the timothy doesnt have enough protein and fat.

Alfalfa pellets, on the whole, are meant to be a complete, balanced diet. Most breeders will say that if you have to supplement a pellet, the pellet is not doing its job. So I am used to just feeding a balanced pellet and hay (just for fiber) and my rabbits being in great condition from that.

But after comparing the two, I have seen a difference in the two pellets. I think it depends on how you feed them...either one may work well if its fed correctly and supplemented correctly, if need be. But from what I saw of a strictly timothy diet, it is not as complete as an alfalfa pellet.

If you are one who supplements with fresh foods too though, that may be why there was not a huge difference between the two kinds of pellets, which is why I asked. Just curious!:p

I had to switch Dunkin off Alfalfa pellets before the recommended age because he was having calcium deposits. Once he was on Timothy they went away. He will even get them to this day if I feed too much Romaine lettuce, which is higher in Calcium. I feed Dunkin and Amber Oxbow Bunny Basics/T (Timothy). I've never had a problem with poor coat or body condition. They receive unlimited grass hay and I try to give veggies daily. Both Oxbow and Purina are great brands. My baby Felix is on Alfalfa Purina pellets. They are harder for me to come by though so I will be transitioning him to Oxbow Alfalfa.

:: The percentage you will generally want to see in your pellets for an adult house rabbit ::

Out of my House Rabbit Connection's Rabbit Care Guide and generally speaking
  • Fiber: 18% or more
  • Fat: 2.5% or less
  • Protein: 16% or less
  • Calcium: 1% or less

I am sure others have noticed large differences in their bunnies when switching to/from a timothy & alfalfa pellet, but I haven't seen any difference with my own 4 personal rabbits. Maybe since I am only feeding half timothy half alfalfa (they get a mix), its not going to give me drastic results?

All I know is that I will not feed Oxbow again after these bags are gone - 1 bought one 50lbs bag for $65 (had to ship it in, can't get that big of a bag local and I refuse to pay $15 for 5lbs of it) and its mostly dust, then the other 50lbs bag of the alfalfa Oxbow was free from a friend who gave up her bunny...that bag is mostly dust, too. I guess Oxbow uses "the bottom of the barrel" for the 50lb bags and that is why they are dusty and the 5lb/10lb bags are not. I don't enjoy being ripped off when it comes to paying $65 for rabbit food and I think its terrible of the company to do that when they have good, fresh pellets being packaged in the smaller bags. The only way I will keep feeding Oxbow is if I can get five 10lbs bags for the price of the 50lbs bag, so at least I know I won't be receiving a bag of dusty old pellets next time.

I feed "Timothy Complete" by Kaytee. After doing my research, this brand of pellets best fit in the "average" of what was recommended. It's available at PetCo if you've got one nearby.

You should always feed unlimited Timothy / grass hay. It is very important for the digestive tracks of bunnies. Alfalfa can be given to young bunnies who are still growing because it has a lot of protein and calcium, and to some older/frail bunnies who have trouble keeping weight on.

Also, I feed 1/4 c pellets daily. It can vary with how old your rabbit is and his or her size - my guy is about 4lbs and an "adult" - he is not growing anymore. Younger bunnies and some older bunnies again can have more pellets.

I fed Purina for years, 9 to be exact, and all 9 years was crud. If I came across a bag of another type of food and fed it I saw the rabbits peek in condition but then next buying time came around and all I could get was Purina again. Now I know I can -request- what I want.

I have been through all three Manna Pro formulas. I did SHO first, great results. I start getting more rabbits and needed food more often and at one point could only find PRO. I fed it and saw no diffrence in the rabbits. A breeder I know went on search of trying every diffrent rabbit food she could get to find what worked best and she tried GRO and said it worked well but she found cheaper. So I got sick of the SHO price and moved to PRO. I had been on PRO for a few months. A few days ago I was out of food and TSC had GRO for $1 more than PRO(of which's rpice had been raised!) so I got it. So far so good. If it helps the growing babies and keeps both adult pets and breeders healthy I will keep on it. I think the higher protein is better.

undergunfire wrote:
All I know is that I will not feed Oxbow again after these bags are gone - 1 bought one 50lbs bag for $65 (had to ship it in, can't get that big of a bag local and I refuse to pay $15 for 5lbs of it) and its mostly dust, then the other 50lbs bag of the alfalfa Oxbow was free from a friend who gave up her bunny...that bag is mostly dust, too. I guess Oxbow uses "the bottom of the barrel" for the 50lb bags and that is why they are dusty and the 5lb/10lb bags are not.
Oxbow's 50 lb bags are ridiculous! The rabbit rescue has the same problem, mostly just dust. They feed Oxbow and Purina. I'm very thankful that we have a local farm supply store that sells 10 lb bags for $13. I totally get not wanting to pay that much money for a bag that's half dust. :grumpy:

Happi Bun wrote:
undergunfire wrote:
All I know is that I will not feed Oxbow again after these bags are gone - 1 bought one 50lbs bag for $65 (had to ship it in, can't get that big of a bag local and I refuse to pay $15 for 5lbs of it) and its mostly dust, then the other 50lbs bag of the alfalfa Oxbow was free from a friend who gave up her bunny...that bag is mostly dust, too. I guess Oxbow uses "the bottom of the barrel" for the 50lb bags and that is why they are dusty and the 5lb/10lb bags are not.
Oxbow's 50 lb bags are ridiculous! The rabbit rescue has the same problem, mostly just dust. They feed Oxbow and Purina. I'm very thankful that we have a local farm supply store that sells 10 lb bags for $13. I totally get not wanting to pay that much money for a bag that's half dust. :grumpy:

I know....but if they won't sell me 5 10lbs bags for the price of a 50lbs bag, then I either have to switch foods or pay more for the same amount (but get fresh pellets, not dust). I wanted to try Sweet Meadow's pellets, but I have heard they are having issues with someone wanting to close down the farm due to land restrictions or something like that, so I'd be afraid I'd get them on those pellets then the farm can't produce them anymore. Someone else needs to come out with a timothy pellet thats a good one and not overly priced like all the rest of them. I refuse to feed/buy anything Kaytee and Zupreem is expensive here at PetSmart.

Latest posts

Back