What backyard plants are safe for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyChickenGirl

Reaction score
What are these plants called and are they safe to feed rabbits?8981FA8D-EF26-4E57-9CBD-C10DDD42025A.jpeg7162B0D7-B6D3-4730-9922-34B97CCBDC63.jpeg
I know these are some type of medicinal plant.

We also have these plants that I know the names of in our backyard, are any of them rabbit safe?
Pin Oak
Weeping Willow
Maple
Goldenrod
Blackberry (I’m wondering about the leaves)
multiple pine trees (I know the cones are safe)
Daisy
Thistle
Briar bush (I think I spelled that right)
Day Lily
Apple tree (I know the sticks and fruit are safe)

Are there any other ones that I didn’t list that are safe for rabbits? I know dandelions are safe and clovers are in small amounts as to much can cause gas.

Thanks for any help!

You should probably not because people said not too on that thread. Bun ate maple leaves by accident

You should probably not because people said not too on that thread. Bun ate maple leaves by accident
Yeah, that’s what I think as well. I try to avoid anything iffy or possibly dangerous (that’s why I don’t feed clover or broccoli, just possibility of gas is enough for it not to be worth it).

That big leaf looks like broadleaf plantain. If it is, it's safe for rabbits and is a good plant to feed. I feed ribwort plantain and my rabbits love it. Weeping willow leaves are also a favorite. Apple leaves in moderation. Blackberry leaves are good too. All three of those can be fed branch and leaves.

As with any plant, be absolutely sure of your plant ID, and double check to ensure it is rabbit safe, before feeding it to your rabbit. And like with any new food, it's best to introduce into the diet starting with one food and a small amount before increasing gradually, over at least a weeks time before trying a new food. And only if it doesn't cause digestive upset or mushy poop.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging
Medirabbit: safe herbs
Medirabbit: safe flowers for rabbits
Medirabbit: safe branches and leaves

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Vegetables
A very important note about foraging: if your rabbit isn't vaccinated against RHVD, feeding plants from outdoors could pose a risk, especially if you're in an area near where any outbreaks have occurred in the past year.

In one of the links it says both lilies and daisies are rabbit safe, but no more in depth info. Like in what amounts are they safe? Are all kinds of lilies safe (like day lilies)?

Look up the genus of the plant in question, there are quite some plants with an english name Lily (like, Lily of the valley) which are not lilies at all - not of he genus Liliaceae. Day Lilies are not such lilies either, can't tell if they pose any danger to rabbits, I doubt it if they are just growing in a garden with lots of other stuff.
I'm not even sure if the stuff that grows in my garden are not some of those...

Maple leafs are fine. What is toxic to some animals, most noeable horses, are the seeds.

Clocver as part of a diverse diet is no problem, somewhat on the rich side like Alfalfa, but that doesn't matter if it's just one of many plants fed.
Brassica plants are fine too, but should be introduced slowly. Not everything that causes gas in humans does that in rabbits. Jerusalem Artchocks (introduced gradually) are no problem for rabbits but can cause a lot of gas in humans.

Brassica plants are fine too, but should be introduced slowly. Not everything that causes gas in humans does that in rabbits. Jerusalem Artchocks (introduced gradually) are no problem for rabbits but can cause a lot of gas in humans.
I don’t think I have either of those anywhere on the property, but thanks for the suggestions. I suppose I should’ve mentioned my area since I’m looking for backyard plants, I live in Chautauqua County, NY.

That big leaf does indeed look like broadleaf plantain. We get those quite a lot over here and my buns will gladly nibble on them, haven't noticed anything wrong.

Latest posts

Back