What are your die-hard rabbit products?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kora

Reaction score
I’m getting a bunny soon, and I’ll be ordering all the supplies soon. But before I do, I’d just like to know what things for your rabbit do you swear by? Anything from toys to cleaning up messes to just general care would be nice to know! I might order the products you list :)

Also, I posted the products I already have put in my carts on another thread. It would be nice to know if they’re A-OK for rabbits! Thank you!

I swear by the high-back corner litter box. "Kaytee Hi-Corner Small Animal Litter Pan, Large, Color Varies" We have our bun in a large dog crate and she is fabulous at using it! It is easy to pop on and off its plastic holders, empty, rinse, and reuse. The metal grate keeps her bottom and feet clean. Also have crate-ready food and water dishes that hang on the bars of the crate. It kind of depends what type of setup you are going to use with your rabbit to help us determine what products will help you.

I plan on using a dog crate, too :) But the bunny will be mostly free roam

I keep other animals that storage totes, with some modification, works really well to house, so I already had these laying around. But I absolutely swear by the Iris 11 gallon storage totes, we buy them 3 at a time from Costco for I think around $16 and a $4 soldering iron at most hardware stores are the easiest thing to modify plastic with, melt an entrance hole in one end and you'll have a nice, large, very high sided litter box that is difficult for even large rabbits to tip and keeps the mess in very well. I foster and just got two giants in and thinking I need to make more of them up, the cat litter boxes supplied by the rescue just don't cut it and the big ones can tip them.

The other thing I swear by is latching bowls! They come in all different sizes and materials. Amazon has a bunch and so does Tractor Supply, I'd imagine most other feed stores would as well. All mine delight in tipping their water dishes, so those are a lifesaver and something else I need a few more of. Rabbits drink a lot! Get big bowls for water! And possibly a gravity water bowl as well. I just got one for my personal rabbits and so far they have not managed to tip it, though the giants might, I haven't tried with either of those two.

Here are some pics of one of the giants in the storage litter box and a regular, messy cat box for comparison. And pics of some of my latching bowls.DSC_8097.JPG DSC_8098.JPG DSC_8099.JPG DSC_8100.JPG DSC_8101.JPG

Already ahead of you! I found this gravity water bowl on Chewy that I’m definitely ordering soon. Gravity bowls seem like the best option, in my opinion. Do latching bowls come in big enough sizes to put food in? Because that seems like it’s a good idea. When I was bunny-sitting for a friend, her bunny would just stare right at me and dump all her food out.

As for litter boxes, I found this cat litter box on Chewy that appears to be non-tippable and possibly could prevent messes. I plan on getting a dwarf because a giant rabbit is definitely a no-go for me right now. Are there any toys you recommend? I’m having a hard time finding things for the bunny to have enrichment.

That litter would be a HUGE save on money, thank you! 40 lbs. for $6 is almost too good to be true. It looks like they have some at a local feed store, too. Saves me money on delivery! How long does that litter normally last you?

Yes, I use smaller latching bowls for their pellets too, though thankfully most don't tip that, I don't have enough of those for all my fosters either. They are around $4 to $10 each at feed stores based on size and materiel, the stainless are a bit more.

Hmm, not sure on the litter. I have a varying number of rabbits, so hard to say how long it would last only one. I'd guess between 2 to 4 months maybe? I empty the litter boxes roughly once a week.

Here are my gotta-have, go-to house rabbit items:
  • High-sides litter box: Very important for messy buns!
  • Medium-size gravity water bowel (0.5 gal): Something that can't be knocked over!
  • Small plastic-backed rugs from the local Meijers/Wal-Mart type store: Protect the carpet, footing on hardwood, or help with litterbox training!
  • Large plastic-backed rugs from the local Meijers/Wal-Mart type store: Line the rabbit's main room/area or underneath a bed!
  • Small pine crates (12" x 6" x 5") from local Meijers/Wal-Mart type store: Take one plank off for the perfect hay feeder they can chew!
  • Ikea Hol tables (expecially the large size): The quintessential bunny dream house!
  • NIC grids: Save your expensive furniture & low-lying books from bunny teeth!
  • Ceramic tiles from local hardware store: Prevent buns from digging in corners, behind doors, and other locations!
  • Heavy 32" tall exercise pens (made for dogs): Two linked xpens at an angle can freestand to block a doorway or stairs off!
And I just realized, after typing all of this out, that none of these are made or marketed specifically for rabbits. (Maybe we need a more powerful house rabbit lobbying group on Capital Hill...)

Stuff like food, hay, toys, treats, and cleaning/grooming supplies are better left to variety, preference, and whatever's on sale :)

That litter would be a HUGE save on money, thank you! 40 lbs. for $6 is almost too good to be true. It looks like they have some at a local feed store, too. Saves me money on delivery! How long does that litter normally last you?
I have 2 dwarf bunnies using 2 litter boxes and a 40 pound bag of horse pellet bedding has lasted almost 3 months with about a half a bag still to go. It expands, so you don't have to use very much at all. I dump out each litter box once a week.

Yeah, like Butterscotch said. I only put a thin layer down, roughly one layer of pellets deep, with a bit more at the corners, as they tend to pee in the corner and the rest of the space is for their hay. You'll want hay available in the litter box to help them use it, it's gross but they like to eat while doing their business, lol. You'll be adding more, fresh, hay once a day at least and the older, uneaten portion each day becomes extra layers of litter. I mainly only have to change the box each week to make space for more edible hay rather than because the layer of horse pellets are overwhelmed by the pee on the bottom layer.

Latest posts

Back