What are your current goals as somebody who breeds and/or shows rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watermelons

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Un-Snowy Wet West, British Columbia, Canada
DISCUSSION TOPIC
PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN AND FRIENDLY
RESPECTFUL DEBATE

:dutch

So we all have different goals in life, and here, we're obviously a little more focused on our rabbits. So lets spend some time talking about what we want in the rabbit world. Why do we all do what we do?

Some may just be showing for a 4h project, others fell in love with a certain breed and stuck with just that.

I want to know what drives you in the world of rabbit showing and/or breeding. What makes you keep doing this? Why did you start?

What is your goal if you're breeding? Is it to produce your own line of fantastic rabbits that excel at any show they go to? Is it to just enjoy the breed you fell in love with and help produce more quality stock around your state/country? As a breeder, do you show your rabbits or do you find more joy in keeping it all at home? Do you prefer a single breed or many?

If you're driven on showing, what do you want out of it? Are you looking to win so many awards with a certain title? Is it just fun and game when you head out to the show? What makes you want to show your rabbits? Do you like to keep it local or travel far and visit much larger high scale shows?

So lets hear about your Rabbitrys goals, and why you do what you do. What you enjoy, what you dislike, and lets see what everyone has to say :) You don't have to stick with my questions, just let the ideas flow and share what you think. Many people don't understand why breeders do what they do, so lets shed a little light on the topic.

:dutch

As for my rabbitry, I've gone to raising strictly Dutch, I started out with Holland Lops, when I was first introduced. While Blaze wasn't show quality by any standards he was the one to introduce me to the world of showing. Then I picked up some mini rexes as a rescue project(bear in mind this was a solid 8 years ago) and I started raising them off shoot. I then got a rescue pedigreed tort dutch-Flashy. I LOVED her, despite her horrid temperament, I knew it was because she had been abused, starved and neglected. I bought my first dutch doe, a blue, Amelia later that fall after I lost Flashy to wry neck and I've been in love ever since. Got my first tort buck-Colby Sr. Tort and Blue are my main two colors, but I have a trio of steels, a trio of Chocolates(the newest of the bunch) and a trio of Chinchillas.
My main goals are to produce some very fine typed and even temperament babies that show well. I've gotten several different bloodlines in that seem to not work well with the lines I currently have and I've found ways to make other lines work with them. If you look behind all my homebred blues, Steels and my homebred torts, you can find my first two purchases(Amelia-carried steel and Colby Sr)- no babies from Flashy which is a shame, she was a very nice doe. Ever since then I've been hooked on Dutch. I tried Velveteen Lops, English Spots, New Zealands and I even had a couple of Polish and tried them but I always come back to my dutch.

I do enjoy showing my rabbits- there's not a lot of Dutch in Kentucky. It is a bit of a drive to get to any shows, I'm starting to branch out myself and I get to whatever shows that I can get to. This fall will be my first time getting out to specialty show and I'm kind of excited and nervous all at the same time to see how my guys do against other larger breeders. If they do great, so be it! If they don't, it'll give me a chance to see what I need to improve upon. I've done well so far at the smaller shows, several BOB, BOV, BOS and BOSV's. And even have enough legs on two of my home-growns to have my first home grown grand champions(one is registered the other still needs to be registered and both need to be granded). I have others that have legs on them, but these two hold a VERY special place in my heart as they're out of Keisha(a steel)- that's a direct daughter of Amelia- my first blue. One's a steel, Natalie-needs both Reg and Granding, ones a black, Connie, already Reg, just needs granding. Connie was the first rabbit I ever had that won BOB.
I'm hoping to continue to work with them and bring much more rabbit awareness to the area. Kentucky is not known for people caring about their rabbits- does have uterus' and bucks have penis' so they can make us money is a very common thought around here. I'm hoping to make a few changes before I drop out of the rabbit world, even if at this point I just back down for a little while(while I get a better job that makes it easier). Most shows are at least 2 hours away, and if I push myself hard enough I do go to 3 hours away shows.

People at work that I know, one has started breeding Holland Lops, I'm doing what I can to encourage him to go for the best typed and encourage him to do the best with them, as they were a breed I gave up to focus on Dutch. I do still have my two OLD Holland Lop bucks- Gabriel and Speedle. Gabriel did well on his own on a 4H show table and held his ground on an open show table in his younger years but as a 7 year old(4-30-06) buck he's a fluffy pet. Speedle never did touch the 4H table, but held ground on the open tables, but he's also old(6-13-07) at 6 years old. I never got them much on the table as I was showing Dutch much more seriously by then. As always with Murphy's law the Dutch and the Holland Lops hit the show table at the same time on opposite sides of the room. So the Holland Lops always got missed unless I got someone to get them on the table for me. So I quit bringing them. It's a shame, they're two nice looking boys that throw nice looking offspring.

I bought my first Holland from a breeder at the State Fair back in 2009. She died not too long afterwards. In Nov 2010, I got my second Holland, Peneloppy Jewel. I got her spayed, which I regretted later because I decided to start breeding Hollands. Nevertheless, Peneloppy hung around until June 9th of this year, when I had to have her euthanized. I named my rabbitry after my first Holland, Ainsley Willow. After I started raising Hollands, I branched out into Netherlands. I decided NDs weren't for me, so I sold out of them and focused on my Hollands. I dabbled in a few other breeds, but never really got attached to them. After losing so many kits (the dwarf breed curse, as I call it), I decided to sell out of rabbits and only keep my favorites as pets. I saw on Facebook that someone not too far from me was selling a breed called a Velveteen Lop. I was curious, so I picked one up and named her Prudence after the Beatles song. Long story short, I fell completely head over heels for the Velveteens. Their personalities are SO much different than most of the Hollands and Netherlands I was use to. I decided to sell completely out of Hollands shortly after Peneloppy died, though I still have three very sweet ND bucks that are still hanging around as well as a meat mutt rescue buck, a Flemish doe, and a Lionhead doe. I've been raising solely Velveteens since, though I am planning on having a small breeding trio of English Lops on the side.

My goals as a breeder are relatively simple... I want to create better versions of the parents. I want to constantly move the breed forward towards my interpretation of the breed standard. I do go to shows to get judge's opinions and make sure I'm not getting hutch blind. Velveteens are not yet a recognized breed so I can't get legs when I win, but it's still good to go to get an unbiased (hopefully) outside opinion. Another goal of mine is to expand the Velveteen Lop "following". We need more REPUTABLE breeders breeding them and helping to expand the gene pool. Unfortunately, with more good breeders come three backyard breeders and I do fear that once the breed become more common, they'll get ruined like some of the other popular breeds.

A lot of people who are anti-breeding typically view breeders as money hungry. They think we do this to make a profit. They think we breed our animals into the ground, keep them in overcrowded cages, never seek medical treatment for them, and could care less if something happens to them. Unfortunately in some instances they are correct; however, I do know SEVERAL breeders who are not like this and only a couple who are. Not saying another way is incorrect, but my rabbits are kept in a climate controlled environment, are bred 2 maybe three times a year if they're in good condition, are kept in cages that are bigger than the minimum recommended sizes as outlined by ARBA, and are kept alone unless they're from the same litter and are under 3 months of age (in same sex pairs/trios). As for making a profit... only people who have never raised rabbits believe that. I made $145 from the last group of rabbits I sold. The last time I sold rabbits before that time was back in July. I don't remember what I made then, but I think it was around $100. I spend $100 PER MONTH on pellets, about $20/month on hay, and about $48/month on bedding. That's not to mention medical bills for emergencies that crop up (like the rabbit in May who had a stuck kit). Tell me... Where is my profit? I do this for the love of rabbits and for the love of the breed. I do it because I want to create QUALITY rabbits and try to help other people create quality rabbits. There will always be backyard breeders selling low quality animals. If that's all people can buy, that's all they'll buy and then there will be more low quality rabbits. That is what I am battling, as lame as that may sound to some.

Last edited:
I started breeding/raising my Holland lops not only because of my 4H project (Which I don't refer my Hollands as a 'project') and I just love them! It drives me to continue is seeing the Judges so intelligent and I aspire to be like them one day which pretty much makes me continue reading 'Raising Better Rabbits and Cavies" and "The Standard of Perfection" I started in 5th grade after seeing my friends baby New Zealand 'Monday' and her 6 babies so in 4th grade me and my mom researched good 4H clubs (Because my mom thought it was a good idea to do it) a breed fit for us and just in general rabbit information we need to know.

My goal as a breeder is to produce the sweetest and very nice show quality Holland lops in my area, mostly I strive on how well the head/crowns, shoulders, and the nice tree stump like legs because it is what lots of my Hollands lack so If I managed to fix those problems I can get farther. I'm also planning on starting a Frosty project inspired by my first rabbit, a frosty buck who is the sweetest thing ever. I do show my Hollands and absolutely love it! I actually, as much as I love other breeds, prefer to raise/show one breed so I can have more focus on how to raise better ones and I'm just in love with the breed.

I am very show driven and hope to win Best in Show or Best of Breed since Holland lops are very common it makes it a little harder to show since there is more experienced breeders around me. I made this account to improve on how I do at shows In case maybe I was curious about something or didn't understand and I either couldn't find a reliable source or my 4h wasn't available.It makes me keep entering shows for the learning experience mostly so I can be a better breeder. I generally go to local shows more often but the farthest I have traveled to a show was 2 hours away which I felt pretty proud of.

For my rabbitry and breeding (I answered most of my goals in the first paragraph) We are planning on expanding our space and add more 'holes' so we can enjoy more little Hollands and have more litters at once as in maybe 2 just in case I have to foster some over and i just completely enjoy having the little baby bunnies! I most definitely enjoy having little baby bunnies around me, they are the perfect way to cheer up a bad day but their is something I hate about breeding bunnies I don't think I could ever get over is having to wait for the kits to be born.

I love the Lop rabbits & for their size, I decided to go for Mini Lops :hearts

I'm not terribly competitive, so I'm not into the showing aspect myself.
I like to breed them from time to time, as an added interest to my hobby. Some I keep & others I sell, as there isn't an over abundance of pure bred rabbits where I live. As other's have mentioned there is no profit to be made from it.

It's just something that I get pleasure in doing, from time to time, as they are so darn cute :party0002:

Many of the bunny people on here don't want to breed their bunnies & that's fine, but there's no law against it where I live, if one wants too :hug2:

Each to their own :)

I don't breed rabbits, nor do I ever intend to... but I AM a breeder. I *love* cute little baby animals but as all of you know, a responsible breeding program is about so much more than just "cuteness". I firmly believe that to be a GOOD breeder, you absolutely must feel driven to work with the animal(s) you choose - it's a labor of love after all. I don't exactly have the space for a rabbitry (short of overhauling/de-cluttering my whole house) or interest in going to rabbit shows, I'm honestly just not very interested in the nuances of individual rabbit breeds and most importantly, there are plenty of exceptional rabbit breeders out there already - I don't feel I have anything unique to offer the world of rabbit breeding, which is all the reason I need to not work with rabbits. I have two spayed girls of different but equally adorable breeds and that's all the naughtiness I want or need in rabbit form :p

I breed sugar gliders. There are some similarities in husbandry - babies (joeys) are old enough to go to their new homes at 8 weeks of age and by 12 weeks of age, males MUST be either separated from their mom and any sisters or neutered to prevent unwanted inbreeding. Males typically mature around 3-6 mos old, females around 4-8 mos (so same starting ages but later "max" ages compared to bunnies) and females are usually bred for the first time around 9-12 months old (compared to 6-12 months for bunns, depending on breed size) so that they're fully grown when they have their first joey(s). Back-to-back or overlapping "pregnancies" are possible (in that sense, a glider "pregnancy" includes both the actual pregnancy and the "IP" or "in pouch" time).

Unlike bunnies, gliders are "pocket-sized" marsupials who are only pregnant for 16 days before giving birth to 1-2 joeys (rarely, 3) the size of a grain of rice who then crawl up mom's stomach to her pouch where they remain for approximately 9 weeks before emerging into the world for real - their "OOP" (out-of-pouch) date is considered their true birthday. The father plays a crucial role in raising joeys and young joeys are constantly looked after by one or both parents; M/F pairs "mate for life" and pairings shouldn't be changed unless one glider dies while the other is still of breeding age... which is about as different from rabbits as you can get. Gliders go into heat about once a month when not pregnant.

My reasons for breeding gliders are very similar to why the rest of you breed bunnies - like all of you, I'm focused on producing healthy offspring. Gliders don't have "breeds" but they do come in different colors. There aren't "glider shows" or coloring-specific characteristics that vary the way each rabbit breed has specific ideals. This is presumably due in part to the fact that gliders have only been bred in the US for 10-15 years and aren't even considered "domesticated" yet. The main goal for breeding gliders is producing the best possible genetics in gliders with the specific coloring(s) you work with with a very important secondary goal of good temperament.

The colorings each trace back to 1-3 origin points (wild-caught gliders who displayed the coloring or, with recessive traits, pairs that first produced them) - unfortunately, due to such incredibly limited starting stock and lack of information regarding how the colorings were passed along/produced, there was a ridiculous amount of inbreeding in the early days. The glider-breeding community is still working to undo all the inbreeding that happened a decade or more ago, so all decent breeders are very concerned with pedigrees, kinship charts and COI(coeffient-of-inbreeding)s when pairing gliders.

I want to breed colored gliders responsibly with a long-term goal of contributing towards making the different colors more affordable to "pet only" homes (standard grays go for around $150; gliders that are "colored" to some degree range from around $300-350 to well over $1000 depending on the color and quality of their genetics). My more immediate goals involve producing gliders with excellent lineage/COIs and temperament, out-breeding with my first pairing to introduce fresh genetics to the colored lines I work with and help repair past damage. Out-breeding isn't "the profitable way to go" but is definitely better for the gliders!

My goals as a breeder are relatively simple... I want to create better versions of the parents.
We need more REPUTABLE breeders breeding them and helping to expand the gene pool.
As for making a profit... only people who have never raised rabbits believe that. I made $145 from the last group of rabbits I sold. The last time I sold rabbits before that time was back in July. I don't remember what I made then, but I think it was around $100. I spend $100 PER MONTH on pellets, about $20/month on hay, and about $48/month on bedding. That's not to mention medical bills for emergencies that crop up (like the rabbit in May who had a stuck kit). Tell me... Where is my profit? I do this for the love of rabbits and for the love of the breed. I do it because I want to create QUALITY rabbits and try to help other people create quality rabbits. There will always be backyard breeders selling low quality animals. If that's all people can buy, that's all they'll buy and then there will be more low quality rabbits. That is what I am battling, as lame as that may sound to some.

^ While the details differ simply because we work with different species, I whole-heartedly agree with all of this - the reasons you have for breeding rabbits mirror mine for breeding gliders.

Mill breeders like PPP (perfect pocket pets) are even more prevalent than backyard breeders for bunnies! PPP is always on the go, hitting up malls, fairs, flea markets, gun shows and other "impulse-purchase" venues... sticking around for only a few days before *poofing* off to another city/state before reports about them selling sick and/or underage gliders can catch up :(. There's little the breeding community can do but strive to educate people as much as they can and offer a better alternative to mill breeders.

~~~~~

Because gliders are SO exotic, most sales are done online with gliders being shipped (via airplanes) to their "forever homes". Naturally, I set up a website for my future babies. I wasn't originally planning to include information for new or prospective glider owners, since my breeding program currently caters specifically to other breeders - out-breeding means I'll produce "standard gray" gliders that are carriers for recessive traits; no one but a breeder is going to pay significantly more for a glider that's visually identical to a non-colored glider.

However, I realized how often my gliders randomly meet people when we're out in public... some of whom are extremely interested in gliders and ask a lot of questions. I would hate for them to meet my sweeties and, as a result, impulse-purchase from a mill breeder down the road... so I made business cards with my website on them and offer a card to anyone who seems very intrigued by gliders. I tell them that I currently only sell gliders to other breeders (so they know I'm not after a sale) but that they can find some general information about glider care on my site, as well as links to other sites they can research gliders on and a run-down on the "cons" of glider ownership to help them figure out if gliders would be a good fit for them. I'm still working on adding to the resources for new/potential glider owners but there's enough to get people researching in the right direction, at least. I also hang out on glider forums to spread good information (whether I'm learning or teaching), but I feel personally responsible with people who didn't even know what a glider WAS until they met mine.

I honestly feel that education (of others) is as much a part of good breeding as your husbandry choices. If you love the animal enough to breed it, you should love them enough to take the time to spread good information to both prospective and less experienced owners regardless of whether you stand to make a sale from them. I can only assume that the rabbit breeders here agree with me on this point, since all of you spend time on RO answering questions and giving people advice.

I am a new breeder, and I only have mini rexes. However, I eventually plan to have dwarf hotots or standard hotots too.

My goals as a breeder are:

First, to breed healthy, happy bunnies. I put the health of my rabbits first, so I will only always breed healthy does and bucks. I feel bad for rabbits that are bred from bad stock, because they are likely to have health problems. I don't want any of my babies to have those problems. I also want the show quality rabbits I sell to be breedable, so if they don't have health problems, that will be the case.

Second, I want beautiful rabbits. If it is not show quality, I will probably fix it and either keep it as a pet or sell it to a pet home. I do plan to win awards. However, that is not so important as to have healthy rabbits.

Also, I want to make sure that the rabbits I am selling go to good homes. This is a major goal of mine, so I will have a rehoming fee for my pet quality rabbits (hopefully of which there will not be many) and, of course, I will sell m show quality rabbits. I won't sell to someone who wants a quick holiday gift, a responsibility lesson for their young children, or something of the sort. The people that would buy a rabbit for that purpose are not likely to give enough attention to the bunny.

I think that rabbits are great pets that any RESPONSIBLE person (who is not allergic) should have. That is one of the major reasons I am breeding. I want healthy, happy, beautiful, show-quality, breedable rabbits that go to good homes.

Latest posts

Back