What are these little white things around my rabbit's living area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eira

Reaction score
Hello. Since yesterday I've been noticing millions of these little white balls at places my rabbit loves to hang out, more specifically under my bed and near my study table. I have never noticed them before.
My rabbit is completely healthy, eating and pooping fine, her grooming is good too. Is this a sign of an illness or something ? I have been worried sick since yesterday but haven't been able to find any answers on Google, so I need your help!

Also, there aren't ANY rabbit vets in my area or even my city, so I'm really worked up! :( all help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20190721_080337.jpg
    IMG_20190721_080337.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190721_080318.jpg
    IMG_20190721_080318.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20190720_221320.jpg
    IMG_20190720_221320.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 67
It looks like the may have ripped something open, like a bean bag chair and spread it around. Check your mattress and see if they chewed a hole in the bottom.

Guess you already did that, but if not check everywhere your bun can get, it must come from somewhere. Check your bunny if there is some of that stuff in the fur, at the feet. Check that everything in your house that could cause harm is stored properly, like household chemicals, herbizides, pestizides and so on.
Check her litterbox, and resting places.

If you don't find it get some more clues of what it could be:

How big are the balls? Looks like there`s white dust too, or just balls?
What consistancy does this stuff have? Hard like sand, breakable like rice or millet, or softer? When squshed, ist it dry/wet?
Is it lose, sticks together or to the floor?

What happens when you put/stir it in water? Float, dissolve, sink, soak...

Put some of it on a knive tip and put a lighter to it - does it burn, char, melt, puff...? Take a careful sniff, how does the smoke smell - not at all, like burned grain, plastic, burnt hair or meat, or not at all?

I have no clue what it is from the pictures, but that should help us to figure it out.

Last edited:
Have you cleaned it up and it comes back? Anything in the environment it could be coming from? Do you find anything similar in your rabbits litter box, or something like a whitish/gray gritty paste or a thick whitish creamy substance?

Guess you already did that, but if not check everywhere your bun can get, it must come from somewhere. Check your bunny if there is some of that stuff in the fur, at the feet. Check that everything in your house that could cause harm is stored properly, like household chemicals, herbizides, pestizides and so on.
Check her litterbox, and resting places.

If you don't find it get some more clues of what it could be:

How big are the balls? Looks like there`s white dust too, or just balls?
What consistancy does this stuff have? Hard like sand, breakable like rice or millet, or softer? When squshed, ist it dry/wet?
Is it lose, sticks together or to the floor?

What happens when you put/stir it in water? Float, dissolve, sink, soak...

Put some of it on a knive tip and put a lighter to it - does it burn, char, melt, puff...? Take a careful sniff, how does the smoke smell - not at all, like burned grain, plastic, burnt hair or meat, or not at all?

I have no clue what it is from the pictures, but that should help us to figure it out.

Hello, thank you so much for replying. To answer your questions.
The fuzzy things are very prevalent under my bed, which is where my bun is most of the time. I also found some near my table and at the corner of my room, but that doesn't say much considering my rabbit is always moving around in the room..
I checked everything, there is none in her feet or fur. Also, this is my own room, and I don't keep any herbicides or such.

The balls are very, very tiny and there are millions of them. Along with it I can also see some white fuzz. They are very soft and brittle. An example is of when I tried to sweep them together, and the innumerable balls all collected up into one big fluff which resembled very light, airy wool.
It's dry and very loose as well.

I will do the water and knife test in the morning, as it is nighttime here.

What can you figure out from these details?

Have you cleaned it up and it comes back? Anything in the environment it could be coming from? Do you find anything similar in your rabbits litter box, or something like a whitish/gray gritty paste or a thick whitish creamy substance?

I did clean it up yesterday night, only to find more today. But the area under my bed is huge, and I have a feeling I couldn't really clean it all up properly, so some of it might have been left behind.. My rabbit's litter is perfect atm, and I can't find anything as of what you described.

It looks like the may have ripped something open, like a bean bag chair and spread it around. Check your mattress and see if they chewed a hole in the bottom.

I hope that is the case and my bun isn't ill or something. I'll make sure to check that.

Could it be that your mattress, or some foam under it is desintegrating?

It suspect your bun chewed her way into your mattress. Are you able to completely lift off the matress and check out its bottom?

Latest posts

Back