What are the signs and diagnoses of seborrhea?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyK

Reaction score
My rabbit has had pretty dry skin for about a month now. I have taken her to the vet on 3 separate occasions to check her for fur mites, and she doesn't have any. My vet just said she has dry skin.

I noticed today she (accidentally?) pulled out a decent size patch of fur, and there are little blood drops. It's not a huge patch - smaller than a dime - but I'm still a little uneasy about it. I was wondering, what is the test for seborrhea? My vet didn't seem too concerned with her skin (not that he is uncaring, but he thinks it's only dry skin). I'm wondering if it is a mild case of seborrhea? Would my vet have tested for this and not mentioned it to me if the results were negative?

Also, I've read that seborrhea can have a nasty smell. How strong is it? Would I be able to notice if I was in the room with her, or only up close and smelling her skin?

Actually..it is often difficult to get a definitive diagnosis for fur mites in a rabbit; I would feel that it would be safe to treat with Revolution (selamectin) as a preventative "just in case"

Dryflaky skin with some hair loss in a rabbit is usually a symptom of a problem and not just "dry skin".

You may want to ask your vet about using Revolution /selamectin

I asked about medicating just in case, and he suggested not to. Since I have other rabbits at home, I would have to treat them all, and that's not a good idea since none of them are showing any symptoms.

Latest posts

Back