What are the differences between Holland and Mini Lops??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very different confirmation structure and difference in size. (In this post, I am referring to the Mini and Holland Lop of the US).

mini-lop-0030.jpg

Above is an excellent example of Mini Lop type. The rabbit sits down on the table, has a low head mount, the head is not rounded in all directions and the ears are longer. Due to the different pose, the topline is different. Ideal size: 6 lbs. Chestnut Agouti and Steel are the most common colors (in solid and broken).

Photo source: http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pets-images/mini-lops.shtml

Below is a very good example of the Holland Lop. Top weight: 4 lbs. Hollands have a high head mount, sit up on the show table, have a head that is rounded in all directions, have a deep topline and shorter ears. The most common color is tortoise (in solid and broken)

BearSideView2YoungSenior.jpg

photo source: http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Enter-Holland-Lop-Show.htm

My Jacques is a holland and my Babette is a mini-lop. Jacques has always had problems with his tear ducts being blocked. Could this be be cause the hollands faces are so pushed in ?

Spring wrote:
Hmm, I've wondered this. A rabbit I know that I've looked after, I've been trying to see what breed it is. I was told she was a holland lop, but she looks like a mini lop

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/Ribbit2006/100_1408.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/Ribbit2006/100_1411.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/Ribbit2006/100_1416.jpg

She's 4 pounds, and a tad bit over weight.

May be a Holland that doesn't have good "show type". Some Hollands are large, and some are longer in type than show quality Hollands.

Pam

Is it possible that breeders are creating a certain look in a bunny without concern for the health problems that can go with that...ex. I'm thinking how bulldogs have been bred with faces so flat that they have trouble breathing???

One of the reasons I was curious was thatDandelion has a much longer face than Solembum. Solembum is larger than Dandi, and while they look similar they don't look the same. And of course since they are both rescues...they were given to us as mini lops.Our first bunn was supposed to be a Holland lop but she weighed 8lbs!:shock:

angieluv wrote:
Is it possible that breeders are creating a certain look in a bunny without concern for the health problems that can go with that...ex. I'm thinking how bulldogs have been bred with faces so flat that they have trouble breathing???
Yes, in some cases, inbreeding for certain traits may cause health problems in a strain of animals.

Pam

My goodness Pam, you are the smartest person I've come across that knows rabbits. How did you get so informed about rabbits.

Your knowledge fascinates me. I learn something new whenever I read what you write.

Soooska:apollo:

SOOOSKA wrote:
My goodness Pam, you are the smartest person I've come across that knows rabbits. How did you get so informed about rabbits.

Your knowledge fascinates me. I learn something new whenever I read what you write.

Soooska:apollo:

LOL I'm always amazed at how much there is that I still DON'T know! :shock:

Over the years, we've hadmany different rabbit breeds and I also had rabbits when I was young.

I've been studying rabbits for years and have been in many rabbit clubs as well as having done extensive research for articles.

I was a 4-H advisor when I lived in Ohio and had 50 youth in my club. My kids compete in rabbit royalty competition (which of course, involves yet more studying!)

I also wrote over 300 rabbit/cavy questions, which involved extensive research,for the Pennsylvania State Rabbit Bowl Competition.

I was a previous secretary for a local rabbit club when we first started showing rabbits and have been secretary/sweepstakes chairperson for a regional Holland Lop club for a number of years. I'm also a director in a regional Dwarf Hotot club.

I've been the editor for a few rabbit newsletters, and amcurrent editorfor the ARBA Judges News Release,am onthe ARBA JudgesTraining and Education Committeeand am also an ARBA Judge.

So -- ina nutshell, that's how I've learned so much about rabbits LOL

Pam

My Website:

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Cinnabunny wrote:
So - is Cinnabunny an Mini Lop? And what color?

thinears.jpg

She doesn't seem to have the pushed in face of the Holland Lop.
Cinnabunny's color is tortoise. Since this is a very common color in the Hollands, and not in the Mini Lops, it is more likely that she's Holland. How much does she weigh?

Not all Hollands have good show type -- especially those that haven't inherited the dwarfing gene, which gives them the more desired, rounded head.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Cinnabunny wrote:
So - is Cinnabunny an Mini Lop? And what color?

thinears.jpg

She doesn't seem to have the pushed in face of the Holland Lop.
Cinnabunny's color is tortoise. Since this is a very common color in the Hollands, and not in the Mini Lops, it is more likely that she's Holland. How much does she weigh?

Not all Hollands have good show type -- especially those that haven't inherited the dwarfing gene, which gives them the more desired, rounded head.

Pam
Cinnabunny is about 4 pounds (maybe a little less). Seeing as she was a petstore bunny I assume that she would not have a good show type. So is her head shape 'not good show' but her color is 'good show?'

Because of her size and color, I would say that she's a Holland. Yes, her color is an accepted variety. There's a wide variation in the tort color in Hollands because there are so few points on color. Therefore, breeders don't make much effort to improve color quality, but focus more on type.

Pam

Yes Pam, I know the rabbits are different here - what you are refering to as a mini lop is called a dwarf lop here, and what you call a Holland lop is a mini lop here. To me my 'dwarf lop' looks and sounds just like your 'mini lop'. She is larger than a mini(Holland) with a longish nose, large lopped ears, different sort of body. I have both kinds of rabbits. Keep in mind she is just a pet rabbit and may not conform to the exact breed standards.

I'm sure that they are the same thing, I could try doing some research and find out? I would be keen to know anyway. I am 99% sure our mini lop is the same as a Holland. I will find out about the dwarf lop thing. One thing though is that the tort colouring you mention is pretty much common for any lop eared rabbit here so that differs a little from what you said, not sure if that means anything or not.

minilops wrote:
I'm sure that they are the same thing, I could try doing some research and find out? I would be keen to know anyway. I am 99% sure our mini lop is the same as a Holland. I will find out about the dwarf lop thing. One thing though is that the tort colouring you mention is pretty much common for any lop eared rabbit here so that differs a little from what you said, not sure if that means anything or not.

The BRC standard for the UK Mini and Dwarf Lops are on their website that I posted. I've also posted extensive info on thecomparisons of the UK vs the US Lopson a thread a while ago. You should be able to do a search and find it.

Yes, you are right, the varieties in other countries differ widely by ours in how common they might be in individual breeds.

Because the inquiry about the differences in the Mini vs Hollands Lops came from Canada (they use the ARBA standard), I was working in the context of the breed characteristics from our country (the same as Canada).

I also posted anAustralian link previously thatdescribes the UK lops:

http://members.iinet.com.au/~jabuck/WARCI/lop_breeds.htm#french

Pam

Latest posts

Back