What are some veggies to feed rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
I give them all my peelings (carrots, sweet potato, other root veggies) as well as the stalks of broccoli about once a week, and some apple maybe two or three times a week, maybe some peppers. I'm vegetarian so always have loads of them, but what are some good veggies that I could give them in larger amounts? Preferable pretty cheap veggies since I don't have much money.

Would cabbage be ok? I know I should avoid lettuce right? I'm going to start growing herbs, so would they be ok? (Probably just the regular ones, parsley, basil, coriander, rosemary, etc.)

Also I heard that parsnip and swede/turnip shouldn't be fed to them? Does anyone know if this is right and why? My rabbits don't like parsnip (the guinea pigs do though!) but I do give them swede.

They'll also be getting lots of dandelion soon and fresh grass, etc.

Lettuce is ok, as long as it's not iceberg. Romaine, green leaf, red leaf, chicory, escarole, etc are all fine to give.

Cabbages, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and anything else in the cabbage family can sometimes cause gas. If your bun is ok with broccoli then that's fine, but I personally don't feed them just in case. Others do without a problem.

In general, herbs are all ok. Parsley, basil, and cilantro are popular ones to give that aren't too expensive.

Here's the RO library guide on feeding: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17
And here's the House Rabbit Society list of approved veggies: http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Parsnips, turnips, and root veggies are not indicated as safe for bunnies.

They seem just fine with broccoli, so I might just try them out with a tiny bit of cabbage.

My rabbit book says sweet potato and carrot are fine, I feed them every day nearly so hopefully they're ok . . .

The old thinking on carrots is that they contain too much sugar to be a daily food staple and should be offered as a treat.

However, I've been hearing lately that that may not be true - so I don't know.

My personal inclination is to offer carrots as more of a treat and stick to leafy greens mostly. And I do know a bunny who gets sweet potato as he's on a no-pellet diet and it helps replace some of the nutrients he's missing.

They just get a tiny bit of carrot a day anyway because they have to share them with 4 guinea pigs :D

I'm a bit wary of giving them too many sweet veggies and fruits, so that's why I'm trying to find more green foods. Especially for Leon who won't even eat hay and grass!

Greens are definitely the way to go! Just introduce them one at a time over a few days to make sure it doesn't upset their stomaches. Once you know what they like, you can scan the prices at the grocery store every week and pick out the things that are the cheapest.

Latest posts

Back