What are some good Hay alternatives to Timothy Hay besides Orchard Grass.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catneedham1994

Reaction score
I was curious what are some other hay alternatives to Timothy hay that are good for people who have allergies. I know Orchard Grass Hay is one but I'm looking for others so I can give my rabbits more variety.

Meadow, bermuda, brome are other grass hays.

There are also some grass hays that are more starchy and primarily grown for their seeds. If the seeds are shaken off (to avoid the added starch) the remaining stalks are quite low in nutrients. Oats, barley, rye, and wheat fall in this grass hay category. However, if the wheat grass is harvested before it sets seed, it can be a good alternative as well. Oxbow's oat hay is also harvested before it sets seed.

I have terrible allergies to timothy hay too. I found that third cutting timothy hay did not set my allergies off at all. It’s the first cutting that has the pollen in it.
Also, if you want to try different hays for your rabbit, I recommend Small Pet Select dot com. They are a family owned farm that grows hay for rabbits. They grow lots of varieties, and mail the box of hay right to your door. I used them for nearly a decade and the hay was always fresh and arrived on time. They even explain the differences between the various hays as it applies to rabbits. They even have sampler boxes!

Latest posts

Back