What age should you transition a rabbit to timothy pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
I was talking to someone who has a rabbit who is 2 and a half months old, earlier today (not on this forum). Lets call them person b for the sake of this, and the other person, person a. They were feeding their rabbit unlimited Oxbow alfalfa pellets alongside timothy/alfalfa hay mix - and person A had told them that what they were doing was wrong and how feeding unlimited alfalfa pellets could make their rabbit ill. I had messaged Person B, who owned the rabbit, and after a short conversation, I had advised that they should feed 3/4 to 1/2 alfalfa pellets for a few months, and when the rabbit was 5 months old that they probably should slowly transition to timothy pellets.
Was I wrong in saying this?
As Person A also said that I was wrong and that alfalfa pellets shouldn't be fed after 3 months old. I had checked the HRS website and told the person who said that I would like to learn from my mistake if so.

The link that I was partially following: Rabbit Food | House Rabbit Society

I would suggest to keep feeding junior alfalfa based pellets until 4-4,5 months unlimited (up to 4 times a day x 50 gram), then gradually reduce pellets and slowly transfer to non alfalfa pellets. By 6 months they should have adult diet if there was nothing wrong with them, sometimes kits are underweight when you bring them home and need some extra food, it depends on your situation, but at 2,5 months alfalfa pellets are still fine they still need high protein and calcium diet.

There isn't a rock solid consensus on switching pellets for indoor rabbits. The recommendations vary even among reputable sources. Depending on that source, one can transition to plain timothy pellets anywhere from 5 months to 12 months of age.

I've usually considered 6 months of age to be a good pellet transition time (give or take a month, depending on the rabbit). As they get closer to that time, they may also need to have their pellet amount limited -- especially if they begin to eat less hay.

Alfalfa hay or a mix of alfalfa and grass hay can be fed to young rabbits, but it isn't necessary to feed alfalfa hay. Any grass hay can be fed instead since the rich alfalfa pellets are being eaten.

I'll link a few reputable sources for consideration:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp?diet=young&sortby=FoodBrand#chart
https://rabbit.org/natural-nutrition-part-ii-pellets-and-veggies-2/This last one is also from HRS, but varies a little from the article you linked.

It's OK to feed alfalfa based pellets. Science Selective which is considered the best food in the UK is alfalfa based. The real problem is that most people give way too many pellets. They should only get about 1 tbsp a day.

Thank you everyone. I was quite nervous about what i had said as person A had insisted that i had been spreading misinformation, which i mever want to do.

Latest posts

Back