What age should a puppy be introduced to a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
My family are getting a German shepherd in a few months (I’ve mentioned before in a previous thread). We have ended up going with a breeder, because the rescues at my local shelter weren’t compatible with rabbits, and keeping Apollo safe is the #1 priority.

Apollo lives in my room on the second floor, and due to his hocks and our carpet he’s only allowed to free roam a couple hours a day when I can put sheets down and stuff. Anyway, for the first few weeks, the puppy will only be able to be in the kitchen or garden, and it’ll eventually grow to be the whole house as he gets older. It’ll also never be allowed in my room, unless Apollo is in a crate or something like that

I don’t plan on having the dog and Apollo to be living together at all. It’s more of a thing where I need to make sure the dog knows that Apollo isn’t a toy, or food.

My main question is what age is best to introduce them? I know puppies have really sharp puppy teeth, but I don’t know what age that is :)

Edit: the breeder we’ve chosen, the puppies parents and the puppies themselves have been around rabbits and cats - as I think the breeder owns them.

My family are getting a German shepherd in a few months (I’ve mentioned before in a previous thread). We have ended up going with a breeder, because the rescues at my local shelter weren’t compatible with rabbits, and keeping Apollo safe is the #1 priority.

Apollo lives in my room on the second floor, and due to his hocks and our carpet he’s only allowed to free roam a couple hours a day when I can put sheets down and stuff. Anyway, for the first few weeks, the puppy will only be able to be in the kitchen or garden, and it’ll eventually grow to be the whole house as he gets older. It’ll also never be allowed in my room, unless Apollo is in a crate or something like that

I don’t plan on having the dog and Apollo to be living together at all. It’s more of a thing where I need to make sure the dog knows that Apollo isn’t a toy, or food.

My main question is what age is best to introduce them? I know puppies have really sharp puppy teeth, but I don’t know what age that is :)

Edit: the breeder we’ve chosen, the puppies parents and the puppies themselves have been around rabbits and cats - as I think the breeder owns them.
Also just realised I gave it the wrong title. “What age should a puppy be introduced to a rabbit” 😅

I have a 3-month-old German Shephard puppy named Cash (as you already know). I had read several things about waiting until they are older, but Cash is a calm puppy so I felt safe with letting them meet. The first introduction (Cash was less than 2 months) was the hardest because I didn't know how Theo would react. I had Theo in a playpen with lots of hideyhouses, and Cash on the outside of the playpen. I just allowed Cash to run around the room while I sat in the playpen comforting Theo. Cash would come up to playpen and start barking so I would pop him on the nose (it sounds mean, but I was not hurting my puppy. We have been told to punish bad behavior from dog trainers who have worked with dogs their whole life) and he would stop. The introduction was only about 10 minutes.
For the second introduction, I put Cash in the playpen with Theo but made him lay down the whole time. I had Cash on the leash and didn't give him any room to run around. There was no barking this time around, and Theo would come and sniff Cash and Cash would lick Theo. I haven't let them meet since the second introduction because I just haven't had time, but they will meet again soon.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/rabbits-with-dogs.html

Thank you! I probably should just wait until the puppy is born and we meet the litter before deciding what age I’ll let them be introduced but if the puppy is anything like Cash, hopefully that sort of thing would work - I’m so nervous🤣 😅

As soon as possible. First wear out your puppy. Take him for a walk or play with him a lot until he's tired out. Then, setup a playpen for Apollo to be in. Keep your puppy on a leash. Let them see each other for short amounts of time each day.
Teach your puppy leave it. Do this by setting a treat on the ground. Keep your foot right next to it or even over it. Whe n your puppy goes for the treat say leave it in a stern voice. Usually I would use a happy voice with training, but since when you use leave it it could be serious and you want to train him with the voice you'll use.
Reward with another treat and lots of praise when he leaves it and looks at you. You can try doing this with a rabbit stuffed animal too. Just remember, NEVER use leave it on something you intend for him to have. Some people use it on dog food or toys when they say to drop it, but then if you oey your dog eat or chew it afterwards he'll think he's supposed to eat things you tell him to leave.

Some people clicker train their dogs, but I prefer to use the word "yes" as a marker. That way you don't have to carry around a clicker everywhere. As soon as your dog does what you want mark it with "yes!", a treat, then lots of praise. Don't use good girl or boy since people often say that when meeting your dog, and your dog might jump and bark. That's not a behavior you want to reward.
You can say good boy or girl as praise afterwards, just don't use it as a marker.

I really recommend Petcos dog training and Zak George's videos on YouTube (he also has a great book).

Hope this helps, and congrats on the puppy!

As soon as possible. First wear out your puppy. Take him for a walk or play with him a lot until he's tired out. Then, setup a playpen for Apollo to be in. Keep your puppy on a leash. Let them see each other for short amounts of time each day.
Teach your puppy leave it. Do this by setting a treat on the ground. Keep your foot right next to it or even over it. Whe n your puppy goes for the treat say leave it in a stern voice. Usually I would use a happy voice with training, but since when you use leave it it could be serious and you want to train him with the voice you'll use.
Reward with another treat and lots of praise when he leaves it and looks at you. You can try doing this with a rabbit stuffed animal too. Just remember, NEVER use leave it on something you intend for him to have. Some people use it on dog food or toys when they say to drop it, but then if you oey your dog eat or chew it afterwards he'll think he's supposed to eat things you tell him to leave.

Some people clicker train their dogs, but I prefer to use the word "yes" as a marker. That way you don't have to carry around a clicker everywhere. As soon as your dog does what you want mark it with "yes!", a treat, then lots of praise. Don't use good girl or boy since people often say that when meeting your dog, and your dog might jump and bark. That's not a behavior you want to reward.
You can say good boy or girl as praise afterwards, just don't use it as a marker.

I really recommend Petcos dog training and Zak George's videos on YouTube (he also has a great book).

Hope this helps, and congrats on the puppy!
Thank you so much! This makes a lot of sense! I’ll definitely keep it in mind to try out! We’re getting the puppy in May, so I’m planning pretty far in advance 😅

Latest posts

Back