What age do you think kits should leave their mother?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
I've had two litters so far, the first I sold at 6 weeks, but for the next litter I thought I'd do everything right and sell them at 8 weeks. But by 7 weeks the babies were huge and the mother was sick of them and was chasing them off, so I separated them and sold them at 8 weeks anyway. They were eating loads and the mother was really hungry all the time from feeding them anyway.

I'd like to keep my next litters til 8 weeks, just so I know I'm doing the best thing for them, and soI don't feel bad about it, or people don't think I'm weaning them too young. But I know they're a drain on their mothers then.

You can wean them at 6 weeks if they are strong and healthy, and sell them at 8 weeks if they are healthy and eating well.

Everyone is going to tell you different. Honestly you can pull babies at 3 weeks that are eating well. Its not recommended and most people will complain. But generally at 10 days once their eyes are open they start nibbling food. And then they become pigs and eat the pellets all the time.

My last litter of Harlies I pulled at 5 weeks. They lived in the house and were watched all the time. They had stopped nursing themselves, and I was going through twice the amount of rabbit feed because they ate so much. The 4 I sold all the people keep in touch and they're all doing great....and the one I have is now outside and she's a fat healthy little monster.

Just depends on your litter. You know when they can be weaned.

Thanks :) That's a good idea, to wean them if I feel like I should but keep them til eight weeks to make sure they're healthy and all. I think I'll do that. I'll see how the mothers feel and all.

In the first litter two became bullies and had to be separated at 5 weeks, now that I think about it. They were chasing the others and biting them and even chasing they mother! They were a good bit bigger than the others so I wasn't worried about separating them.

if i was going to get a rabbit from you i would want that baby to be feeding from their momma til 8 weeks....if i found out that they were weened earlier ..i wouldnt get a bunny from you..thats the opinion of a BUYING customer ...me.:)

I agree with it really depends on the momma. I also wean at 6weeks and pull from moms. Especially on beyonce. Shes a smaller doe and it takes alot away from her.

It would be totally downright evil for me to keep those babies on her till 8weeks.

I think you should explain to the customer your reasons for taking them away at 6weeks and if they dont agree, its not their momma rabbit and explain how you were looking out for the moms best interest. But because of my breed I rarely sell babies under 5mos. So i say if you have room keep them till 8weeks to make sure they are healthy

Flash Gordon wrote:
if i was going to get a rabbit from you i would want that baby to be feeding from their momma til 8 weeks....if i found out that they were weened earlier ..i wouldnt get a bunny from you..thats the opinion of a BUYING customer ...me.:)

That's fine in theory but if the mum gets fed up then she may well start nipping at the babies or trying to mate them for dominance which then stresses the babies out so for a lot of breeds 6 weeks is the norm as by then mum isn't feeding them anymore :)

I have had nethie litters of 1 or 2 and mum is happy with them till 9 weeks I have also had nethie litters where mums got fed up and I have had to take the babies away at 5 weeks and that's me leaving them as
long as I can!

The main thing would then be the keeping the babies on until they are at least 8 weeks to make sure they are happy and healthy

Also, don't remove all at once. If you have problem ones, take them away first and slowly remove the others. Suddenly taking away a whole litter leaves the mom full of milk and sore.

Also, I tend to remove show ones first. They are no longer competing with momma and siblings for food. Less of a chance of them getting 'damage' on their bodies

Thanks guys.

I understand that buyers might want them to stay til eight weeks, so I think I would keep them til 8 weeks and then sell them, also to make sure they're healthy.

But if the mom starts chasing them off, or seems like she has too many to feed and it's too much of a drain on her, I'll take some of them away from her early. :)

also a buyers perspective - i'd never buy under 8 weeks. i don't know much about the weaning process but i think breeders who sell under 8 weeks are just irresponsible. if i knew my rabbit was weaned under 6 weeks i'd be very very wary

I had someone tell me it was illegal to sell rabbits under 8 weeks. Has anyone else heard this?
I've kept baby's with their mothers until 10 wks with no ill effects.

twinkiez wrote:
I had someone tell me it was illegal to sell rabbits under 8 weeks. Has anyone else heard this?
I've kept baby's with their mothers until 10 wks with no ill effects.

i think in a lot of places it is.

Yeah I would also prefer to buy a rabbit that was 8 weeks old. :) But I wonder what the optimum age to wean at is actually. Like has it been scientifically proven that 8 weeks is best?

It's the same with puppies, kittens and guinea pigs, people generally say 8 weeks, but some say different. I know a cat would nurse their kittens for a lot longer than 8 weeks, given the chance. But rabbits are fairly independant by that time, and a lot of mothers stop nursing before then it seems.

I kept one baby with the mother for months because I kept that one, and she wasn't still nursing, but I've known cats to keep nursing their kittens til 6 months or so! Obviously rabbits are more independant younger, so it's interesting that they are usually sold at the same age. Also interesting for guinea pigs to be sold at 8 weeks, when the males are separated at 3 weeks or so anyway, so obviously do fine without the mother (but are kinda too tiny to sell IMO). :)

I am pretty sure pet shops are not allowed to sell rabbits under 8 weeks here.
I only once had to pull babies out just before 6 weeks as the mum was getting fed up and started chasing the girls. I find with nethies and their small litters I get away with leaving them together until about 8weeks if I feel there is enough space and mum doesn't get fed up. I usually remove the boys first if there are more than one and leave the girl until they are sold or mum is being rebred. If I am heading for the winter I leave a girl (if I intend to keep her) with her mum.

Flash Gordon wrote:

I think we're all getting the word "weaning" confused, or talking about different things. I pointed out Flash's post to address it specifically, but this is in response to the original question as well.

Kits start eating pelleted food at about 3 weeks of age. Their mothers naturally wean them from milk between age 3-5 weeks. If they are kept with the mother, many kits will still sneak feedings. But they are completely fine away from their mother by 4-5 weeks, because they are weaned off of milk. So regardless of whether you buy a bunny before or after 8 weeks, they won't be nursing at 8 weeks.

Usually it's best to wean from the mother between 6-8 weeks because she does get burnt out from the litter.

And then it's best not to SELL them until after 8 weeks, to ensure that they are strong and healthy. But weaning takes place far before 8 weeks of age.:)

by Dana Krempels, Ph.D.
Unlike most mammals, baby rabbits have a sterile lower intestine until they begin to eat solid food at the age of 3-4 weeks. It is during this time that their intestines are at their most vulnerable: the babies need their mother's milk, which changes pH and provides vital antibodies that help the baby gradually adjust to his changing intestinal environment, to protect them against newly introduced microorganisms. Without mother's milk, a baby starting to eat solid food is highly susceptible to bacterial enteritis (inflammation of the intestinal lining), which can cause fatal diarrhea.
Without mother's antibodies, complex organic compounds and proper pH environment her milk provides to help protect the baby's intestines, these babies are highly susceptible to over-proliferation of foreign bacteria. One of the most common culprits of runny stool in baby rabbits is accidental infection by the common human intestinal bacterium, Escherichia coli. This is transmitted from humans to baby rabbits during handling, since these bacteria are all over us, not just in our intestines. Handling an unweaned infant rabbit without properly washing and disinfecting one's hands is a good way to transmit these opportunistic pathogens. Even a loving kiss on a too-young baby rabbit's lips can kill. Until a young rabbit is at least eight weeks old, she should not be taken from her mother, as mama's milk affords protection against E. coli and other bacteria until the baby's own immune system can handle them.

Ive separated litters as young as 4 weeks, usually I separate at 6 weeks and sell at 7-8 weeks though. Usually if I have huge litters I will separate the bigger stronger ones first and let the weak ones stay just so they have that extra time with there moms.

I personally think it is sensible to wait till about 8 weeks before rehoming a baby rabbit as they are still so vulnerable and may not cope as well with the stress of moving to a new place, being torn away from siblings and maybe another change of diet in the new home.

Latest posts

Back