What a lovely thing to wake up to

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunbunb

Reaction score
You have truely never heard a scream until you have heard the blood curdling scream of a rabbit! It takes a lot for them to do it but when they do a little peice of you dies inside every time.

I was dreaming one second and jumping out of bed the next. Window shade up, my big butt only in a shirt and underwear so if my family looked out their windows they would had had a nice view :XLady, 60lb mixed herding dog who LOVES the baby animals, was standing over something. She jerked her head up at me "WHAT????? I was just cleaning it!!!!!" Lying on the floor at her feet was a sodden baby lionhead, the broken black otter doe. Alive but soaked to the skin! I put her back in the nest box after making sure she was ok.

I think that has to be the fastest I have woke up before. When I layed back in bed I tried to remember what i was dreaming about but it was gone :/ I hate when that happens.

I am sure that poor baby rabbit thought she was a goner. She sure screamed like it!

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

The dogs, cat and Becca are in my room of the night. I had planned on putting cardboard around the bottom of her pen to keep the babies in so that is still going to happen tonight. I did it to Neena's pen, which is under Steffi's, the other day. I just did not expect the babies to try and get out so soon. She must had been attached still when Steffi jumped out after feeding.

How scary. When I first got my dwarf hotot she was outside
and got out of the cage. All the dogs I had at the time loved little animals and she was in shock when I went outside. After a day being watched by the vet she was fine.
I forgot to say the dogs just wanted to love her but she
didn't know that.:shock:

I'm glad the baby is okay. Even if your dogs are nice to rabbits I really think you need to figure out a way so that will never happen again. That kind of fright could easily kill a rabbit. If it scared you so badly think of how the baby must have felt.

Sorry if that sounds critical, but there really should be no way for a dog to just take a baby rabbit. The bunnies cant defend themselves after all, so as pet owners we have to do it for them.

You are lucky to have such a nice dog :) I'm glad the baby is alright.

Oh, I know that, but things happen. I could had put up the cardboard already and Steffi could had chewed a hole and the baby got out. I had had them in wire cages with small wire but fixed the NIC cages for more space. I had planned on putting wire around the bottom but if I desemble the pens it would waste the wire.

I am not going to make excuses. I should had put up barrier around them when I moved them but I did not.

Luluznewz wrote:
Sorry if that sounds critical, but there really should be no way for a dog to just take a baby rabbit. The bunnies cant defend themselves after all, so as pet owners we have to do it for them.
You would be surprised at what a baby rabbit can do (even before their eyes are open) if they are determined enough. I've had them get out of cages that I swore were completely baby proofed...and make it 20 feet away and hide under another cage or whatever.

Sometimes a baby rabbit really can outsmart a human....

Glad everything turned out ok. We recently had a baby rabbit screaming and it was horrid - I hate that sound (especially when it is a baby). Turns out it was trying to get on Nyx's shelf and had caught its foot and was hanging upside down. (We got it right away and it is fine now).

But baby rabbits - as cute as they are - sure can get into trouble!

:hug:i hope your heart is now beating normally and that you have calmed down:) of course there is always the possibility that one of your neighbours saw you!!:p

TinysMom wrote:
Brings back memories of the first litter that I fostered. In fact, it was my first foster ever. I brought mama and her four 2-week old kits home. I thought setting up an exercise pen was a great idea. Not! In the time between me putting everybun in the pen and returning with food and water (minutes), all 4 kits had found their way between the pen bars and were hopping all about the room. I rounded them up into the carrier and then set up alarge cage for them. They were very comfortable, but I obviously failed to secure the door to the cage before going tobed that night. The next morning, there werebaby bunnies hopping all over and millions of pinhead-sized poops. Oddly enough, mama was sitting in the cage.

Ahh I hate the sound of rabbits' screaming! It's so terrifying. I've only heard it a couple times - I think just once or twice it was from one of my rabbits. I had a baby fall from 4 feet and land on a wooden floor, and she was just screaming like crazy. Luckily she was perfectly fine, nothing broken at all (I seem to the get the good luck streaks when that happens - knock on wood. No babies badly injured from falls, all of course accidental!), and she is still with us today, BSA's Taking Chances, aka Chancey, the mother of the my most recent litter.

My 4-H leader, one of her sons raises Beverens, and he has a litter right now that screams whenever he picks them up. He's not doing anything to them, not holding them by the scruff, just regularly, and they just cry and cry. Such babies. lol.

Their screams are quite terrifying though. I don't think I've ever heard a buck scream...? When two of my bucks got in a fight, there was no screaming whatsoever - at least not from them! From me, though...and tears, hah.

Emily

TinysMom wrote:
Turns out it was trying to get on Nyx's shelf and had caught its foot and was hanging upside down. (We got it right away and it is fine now).

Oh no! Poor little baby!

And I agree with the trouble-some of baby rabbits! I walked into my rabbitry a couple weeks ago when we had first moved the pre-juniors to their new cages. There is a small hole above the feeders, where you can hook on a J-feeder, but we just put our hands through and fill the dish. It's probably 1 inch tall and 4 inches long...anyway, we walk in the shed, spot one baby in the cage and the other baby sitting near the feeding bin. No idea how she squirmed her way out of that - not to mention the drop to the floor was a good 2 1/2 feet. After that, we moved the hay rack directly over that, and just put the feed dish on the door.

ETA: We should make a thread about crazy kits and the troubles they get themselves into! :p

Emily

I just walked to my room and waiting at the door was the little doe again. I picked her up and she started screaming. UGGGG! I hate that sound. I put her up only to have her come right back out. I put her up AGAIN. I put up the barrier but I am sure they will find SOME way out again. So annoying.

I have never ever heard a bunny scream before...and i never want to hear it either...from what i always read..it really is an awful sound.

Glad the little baby is ok though.

Latest posts

Back