We've lost half of my family's rabbits (8 out of 16) and we don't know whats causing it :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgb

Reaction score
My family's small farm is in a remote island in the philippines (I'm in the states) so they don't have access to a vet. I'm not sure where else to turn for help. The bunnies have plenty of water, plenty of food and space to play, they have a good appetite. The only symptom appears to be dry skin and patches as you can see in the photo, these patches appear on their ears, bodies, and paws. They are all between 1 and 3 years old.

My family tells me they are just randomly dying, no prolonged illness or symptoms. If anyone could please help it would be greatly appreciated, I'm considering facetiming or flying a vet there to see if they can help but that will put a strain on our finances. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how I can help save the rest of the rabbits?

received_668267010598477.jpeg received_2805807312805985.jpeg

My family's small farm is in a remote island in the philippines (I'm in the states) so they don't have access to a vet. I'm not sure where else to turn for help. The bunnies have plenty of water, plenty of food and space to play, they have a good appetite. The only symptom appears to be dry skin and patches as you can see in the photo, these patches appear on their ears, bodies, and paws. They are all between 1 and 3 years old.

My family tells me they are just randomly dying, no prolonged illness or symptoms. If anyone could please help it would be greatly appreciated, I'm considering facetiming or flying a vet there to see if they can help but that will put a strain on our finances. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how I can help save the rest of the rabbits?

View attachment 45708 View attachment 45709

It looks like it could be mites. I don’t know if myxomatosis is present in the Philippines but maybe it could be that. Sorry, I’m not good at diseases.
It looks quite bad. I’d see if I could get them to a vet somehow. @JBun @Blue eyes @zuppa

Reactions: tgb
Thanks Apollo's Slave,

Oh I just googled myxomatosis, that's really heartbreaking if that's what they have :( poor bunnies

Right now travel from the island in the philippines is shut down because of the coronavirus, but if there is treatment that I can have mailed to them I'd be more than happy to

Thanks for the reply and info though.

Do you have a farm store? Poultry dust which is used for chickens works on rabbits, but some rabbits react badly to it. It has the active ingredient permethrin and it works on mites. This is something I would only use if I had no another other choice, and not treating my rabbits would mean losing all of them. Try calling a vet first as Eve84 suggests.

Its unlikely that the bald patches are the reason they are dying.
While yes it appears they have mites or a fungal infection. Iy dowent typically kill that quick when it isnt that severe.
A more likely cause would be some type of toxin they have eaten. Myxo as Apollo said. A form of RHD. or literally hundreds of other things.

Ivermectin would be a better choice which is found accross the world. as long as none of the rabbits have blue eyes or dutch markings.
Dont use poultry dust.

Thanks I asked my family to send some better photos. I will call a vet here in the states as well.

Attachments

• received_627922111334201.jpeg
    received_627922111334201.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 26
  • received_499547037615391.jpeg
    received_499547037615391.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 29
  • received_542542919716799.jpeg
    received_542542919716799.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 26
I would separate all of the rabbits so that they cannot get to one another. I would keep them apart until all the rabbits have recovered and then keep them apart for another 2 weeks after. If there are bonded pairs, don't separate the bonded rabbits. I would ask a vet for the medicine as @Eve84 said. Here is a link on Myxomatosis in rabbits: https://rabbit.org/myxo/.

#theo is right about separating them. They should try to do it, the only ones that shouldn't be separated are the bonded but still try. I think it could be ring worms, they spread, cause patches, and can be fatal. I would look into that and see if there are any other symptoms that match. I wish you luck!

Thanks Apollo's Slave,

Oh I just googled myxomatosis, that's really heartbreaking if that's what they have :( poor bunnies

Right now travel from the island in the philippines is shut down because of the coronavirus, but if there is treatment that I can have mailed to them I'd be more than happy to

Thanks for the reply and info though.
I don't think there is myxomatosis in the Philippines.

Wow thank you everyone for the responses, I will follow the advice about separating them and am working on finding a vet that can help.

Really appreciate all of the help and guidance, I will be sure to post updates as well.

I'm also really hoping it is not myxomatosis, as that seems like a very sad condition to have.

That isn't myxomatosis. That appears to most likely be sarcoptes mange. Severe infestations like that can cause anemia and death as a result. Mange is treated with ivermectin or selemectin(brand name Revolution/Stronghold). Ivermectin is the most widely available worldwide. It's usually available as a 1% injectable solution for cattle and other livestock, but I give as an oral medication instead of injected, 0.4mg/kg for 3 separate treatments given 14 days apart. It's extremely important to dose correctly, particularly when using the ivermectin, as an overdose can be fatal. It's also important to clean the environment well. Though it looks to likely be mange, there is always the possibility it could be something else, so keep that in mind if ivermectin/selemectin is tried and isn't proving effective.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm
For ivermectin and selemectin dosing info(topical, 18mg/kg):
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Skin_diseases_main.htm

Separating rabbits that are already affected isn't necessary as the mite has already spread. It is important to treat all affected rabbits and retreat as recommended, to get it cleared up though.

Thanks so much, I am informing my family there of this advice.

The nearest vet is a 5 hour boat ride, however due to the current lockdown and curfew, they are unable to take a bunny to the vet just yet.

For more context the bunnies first showed symptoms of this illness in December and since then half have passed away so there is some urgency on my end to get them treatment, but frustratingly the lockdown is preventing this at the moment.

I really do appreciate all of the knowledge shared here and will do our best to get these bunnies the best treatment we can.

If you had already first symptoms in December why did you not take them earlier to the vet? Sorry but very poor bunny’s. If we feel bad we go immediately and we should do the same with the bunny’s or not keep them as pets.

I hope you called a vet yet that would be the very least and easiest you can do to at least help them a tiny little bit.

Sorry for my very unfriendly message but I just feel for the very poor bunny’s.

Ps. We have the middle of March yet

Latest posts

Back