wet tail PLS HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan223

Reaction score
Hi all, so I have noticed today that my bunny's tail/ part of her back legs appear to be soaked in pee. This had never happened before now. I change her litter box every day so i dont think it could be due to poor higiene. I recently moved her across the country (since I had to go back to my parents house bc coronavirus) so she definitely could be stressed, although she is flopping/ binkying here. does anyone know what could be causing this wet tail issue? I literally CANNOT figure it out and as an over-concerned obsessive bunny mom, i have become scared this could be a kidney issue even though she is under 1 year. I have a vet checkup scheduled for tuesday, but is this an absolute emergency that i should try to get an earlier appointment for?

I'm kinda freaking out right now so any any any advice here is appreciated <3 thank you

I tried to like dry her off a bit and she scratched me so hard my face is bleeding :( what is going on

If she is flopping and binkying it shouldn't be an emergency. Those behaviors are not seen in rabbits who are in pain. My bun Foxwell had a really similar experience two months ago (moved cross country, scared himself silly, and his tail and legs were soaked). It's probably just a fluke due to stress, but keep the Tuesday appointment and cancel on Monday if everything is back to normal. If she doesn't seem to be in pain she probably got scared and is too nervous to groom herself yet. Good luck and I think she'll be okay! :)

If she is flopping and binkying it shouldn't be an emergency. Those behaviors are not seen in rabbits who are in pain. My bun Foxwell had a really similar experience two months ago (moved cross country, scared himself silly, and his tail and legs were soaked). It's probably just a fluke due to stress, but keep the Tuesday appointment and cancel on Monday if everything is back to normal. If she doesn't seem to be in pain she probably got scared and is too nervous to groom herself yet. Good luck and I think she'll be okay! :)
thank you so much im literally freaking out with a bleeding face due to her scratching me right now ha ha ha.. im not gonna cancel the tues appointment bc that appointment is actually her spay consultation, but thank you so much for letting me know that I shouldn't like drop everything..

do you think the vet will want to run urine tests for UTI? my internet research has made me concerned its that or a kidney issue..

thank you so much im literally freaking out with a bleeding face due to her scratching me right now ha ha ha.. im not gonna cancel the tues appointment bc that appointment is actually her spay consultation, but thank you so much for letting me know that I shouldn't like drop everything..

do you think the vet will want to run urine tests for UTI? my internet research has made me concerned its that or a kidney issue..
You're having a pretty rough night, I'm sorry about that! She's probably really disoriented and I've never met a rabbit that is very tolerant of being touched on their belly, especially when we're trying to help them. Does the urine look normal? It could be a UTI, but I wouldn't panic... If it's a kidney issue there would probably be blood in the urine that is very obvious to the naked eye and she would not be binkying and flopping.

You can certainly ask them to run a urinalysis. Urine is only stable for the test if it is collected within 30-45 minutes before the test, so you could collect it yourself right before, which will probably be easier. They will need about 5-10 ml to run the test but can make it work with less

You're having a pretty rough night, I'm sorry about that! She's probably really disoriented and I've never met a rabbit that is very tolerant of being touched on their belly, especially when we're trying to help them. Does the urine look normal? It could be a UTI, but I wouldn't panic... If it's a kidney issue there would probably be blood in the urine that is very obvious to the naked eye and she would not be binkying and flopping.

You can certainly ask them to run a urinalysis. Urine is only stable for the test if it is collected within 30-45 minutes before the test, so you could collect it yourself right before, which will probably be easier. They will need about 5-10 ml to run the test but can make it work with less
Urine does look normal--0 sign of blood. Since we've been at my parents house she has suddenly become pretty territorial--she literally runs around me in circles pooping as she goes, and has sprayed pee at least twice in the past few days (thank you covid 19 for forcing my vet to cancel her spay a month ago) so maybe her pee spraying has contributed?

thank you so much for these responses i truly appreciate it.. my parents already hate her and now i have to explain how i got cuts all over my face so I'm just really stressed right now and i just want her to be ok

Spraying can be a real mess... and could certainly cause all of the trouble. She could be trying to mark her new territory and that's a stressor too. She's young and probably very hormonal. I think with as much as is going on in both of your lives some weirdness is not unexpected. I wouldn't be too worried about a fluke of the wet tail, she will probably clean herself overnight.

The territorial behavior should stop after the spay. I had to move home for COVID too and the bunnies are not loving the new set up (far less cuddling on demand) and it is so stressful for all of us. Hang in there, you will be able to adapt.

Are you sure its pee? Is your rabbit drinking from water bowl or bottle?
I saw my rabbit has wet tail sometimes. Caught her nearly sitting in the bowl while eating.

Latest posts

Back