wet poo...on the COUCH!..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard0600

Reaction score
ok...some of you have already heard about my two bunnies Dumbo and Latte from other posts...

They've both been spayed for a good amount of time now and neither of them poo or pee outside the cage anymore except for occasional pellet near the cage entrance. I suspect those are just ones that came out when they jump in and out of the cage.

The problem is that before we let them out 24/7 we use to lock them back in their cage before we went to bed which caused problems cause they would get bored after a couple of hours or so and start running around the cage, digging and making a lot of noise. AND dumbo would always leave a huge poo on the second floor of their cage..it isnt like your normal hard pellets...but its just a big soft pile...that she sits on and squishes to the plastic..

So come morning you walk out theres a big flat poo stain on the 2nd floor balcony of their cage which will require you to scrub it off. Bear in mind it smells like human poo as well, I'm not sure what causes the problem the vet said to not worry about it cause every now and then they are suppose to have these wet poos that they end up eating...well it doesnt seem like dumbo eats it.. she likes to squish it and make a big mess...

I'm sorry for the long post but im almost done, well as you know we started letting her out all night and it solved all the problems for the first week..but then the poo thing returned but this time on my COUCH!...it's happened 2 times in this last week where ive woken up to a nice big surprise on my couch..which took ages to scrub off..

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do? I'm thinking i'll buy them a big beach towel and cover my couch when we go to bed..

Yeah, my boy does this too. When he was in his pen at night, the poos were confined there but now that he's out 24/7, they end up in other random places.

So my boy has two kinds of troublesome poo--what I call "mushy poo" not diarrhea but not necessarily cecals, and of course, cecals--the grape clusters. The mushy poo is quite foul and mine tends to step on it right away, grinding it into the carpet, couch, etc.

They don't eat the mushy poos, but I have seen him eat the cecals a short time after dropping them, even though technically they are supposed to eat them as they come out.

Usually indicative that a diet adjustment is necessary. Some buns systems are so sensitive, it seems, that even a small amount more than usual of any of their foods will cause the mush or excess cecals.

If your bun has checked out clean at the vet, then I would consider adjusting his diet. But as for your couch...I would do like you said and either use a beach towel or maybe a shower curtain liner (easier to wipe clean). I use plastic floor mats in areas where my bun tends to spend most of his time while lounging because that's where he tends to make the mess. They are also easy to wipe clean.

Good luck to you :)

hmm i know how cecal poo looks like and it's definetly not like that...it just looks like..well human poo lol...it smells and its really gross... its like mushy and stains the everything it touches..the worst part is that after it comes out she just sits on it or i'm not sure what she does exactly to flatten it out...

We give both my rabbits the same food and latte doesnt have this problem at all... we give them PETERS multigrain plus which has a RSPCA stamp on it saying that they approve it...(bear in mind i live in australia so our rabbit food brands might be different) and i give them a handful of alfalfa pellets to go with the multigrain.

o and as for the peeing and pooing everywhere an easy way of solving that is spaying them...other than this wierd pooing thing dumbo does i seriously never find pee stains or poo pellets anywhere unless they kick it out as they jump out of the cage.

your buns shouldn't be having poos like that. there is some dietary problem with that. i don't know how to help because i don't know what's in your pellet, but maybe someone else from australia can help.:?

Latest posts

Back