Wet mushy poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessacat

Reaction score
I just added a second bunny to my householdabout a week ago. She's been doing well, but today herdroppings were much more moist than "normal". They weren'trunny, they retained the shape of a hard pelet, but to the touch theywere pretty wet and easily smeared.
I'll list everything that I can possibly think of to have caused this..

1)She ate more vegtables today than normal, a carrot and the carrot's top plus some parsly
2) My cat has had a bit of a flea problem and on Saturday I steamcleaned the whole apartment and gave all the animalsadvantage. Although I didn't see any fleas on my new littlegirl I gave her a few drops on the back of the neck as a preventativemeasure.

I guess those are the only two I can imediatly thinkof. This rabbit is not my first but I'm not sure if this wetpoop is something that I should be weary of or not. Could itbe a sign or beginings of a serious illness?

A whole carrot? That's a lot even fora giant bunny! How much more than normal was the rest of theveggies, and had she had them before? Too much veggies toosoon could easily be the cause here.

Don't give her any veggies for a few days, just pellets and lots ofhay. You can start feeding veggies again a few days after shereturns to normal (unless she's a baby and then wait longer to be sureshe's okay). This time, only small amounts of new stuff, onetype at at time. Half a baby carrot, one sprig of parsley,half a leaf of carrot greens. Remember that carrots have lotsof sugar and should be fed more as a treat than a regular vegatable.

Usually I only feed the tops of carrots to mybunnies, but the carrots I got the other day looked particularlygood. The carrot was an organic carrot, so it wasn't huge,but it was definetly larger than a baby carrot!
My older rabbit had no problem with the carrot, but I guess I shouldn'thave treated my new baby's diet the same. She's had cilantrobefore but so far I've been sticking with pelets and hay forher. I guess I'll stick more stricktly to that! Shedoes seem to enjoy parsly a lot, maybe I'll slip a bit ofthat in too.
Thanks for the advice

Are your two rabbits together?

I ask because I read somewhere that rabbits treated topically withAdvantage - if they groom each other and ingest the Advantage, it maygive them an upset stomach. Something else to consider aswell.

But I agree with Naturestee - the carrot and veggiesmighthave just been too much for the baby's diet. Is she veryyoung? Introduce all veggies slowly so you can monitor ifsome typesresult insoft poop.

________
Nadia

How old is she? If she's younger then 12 weeks,I would stop giving her veggies. It usually does cause mushy poop withlittle babies.

Spring wrote:
I would stop giving her veggies. It usually doescause mushy poop with little babies.
Pebbles is almost 2 years old.

When I give her too muchpapaya, she will get mushy poops(like chocolate pudding).
So it's a fine balance between giving too much and just giving enough.

Rainbows! :)

I'm not exactly sure how old she is... she's quite young I think. She's very small.
This is a picture for referance, but I suppose it would be hard to tell because there's nothing really to give a sense of scale.
IMG_2534.jpg

Hopefully the size of the cage will help a little.

The two are not together yet, I'm hoping that eventaully they willbecome friends, but she is very small so I want to wait until she growsup abit/ at least has gotten used to living here.
I think I might have been over reacting about the poop a little bitbecause that seems fine, but now I have a much larger concern..
I might end up creating another thread for this, but as long as I'vealready got a few knowledgable people's attention I'll write about ithere..

This morning I woke up and checked on the little girl. I sawsomething stuck to her face and thought maybe it was one of the runnypoops. When I got closer I realized that it was a piece ofher mouth.. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but I'vecome to the c onclusion that Steak must have scratched her through thebars of her cage. I tried to clean it off a bit but I don'tfeel as though I've helped her at all. My vet's hours are abit odd, I was working and at school the whole time they were openedtoday. I'll have a chance to call them tomorrow and hopefullyI'll be able to go in tomorrow or thursday. She's eating andeven grooming herself alright (although I cringe a bit when she runsher paw over it) so I think she'll be okay until I can get her to thevet. Is there anything I can do to disinfect or cleanit? I feel very unsettled just leaving it.
I hope this does not mean that Steak will not accept her as a newfriend i the future. He has been a bit moodly upon herarrival. He'll definetly be secured at night from now on.:nope

I'd say she is fairly young. When was that picture taken?

Eek. How big is the scratch? Possible to get a close up picture? Ithikn you should just try to keep it clean with a bit of warm wateruntil it gets looked at by a vet.Poor girl.

Where did you get your new bunny from?
Can you find out from the people you got him from?
Most breeders won't release their babies until they are weaned (8 weeks?).

Maybe Steak won't accept him if it isanother male. Rabbits can bite between cages.
Hope the scratch is minor.

Rainbows! :)

Steak was actaully bonded with another bunnyealier in the year, they lived together quite well forawhile. The rabbit was my roommate's however and the rabbitsdo not live together anymore. His previous companion was amale american fuzzy lop, so I don't think gener is as big of an issue..do you think that maybe he misses his old mate and will be harder toaccept her?
I'm not sure exactly how old she is.. I got her at a localscamps. I know they get their animals from local breedersthough, I myself sometimes suply them with rats. I can mostlikley get information from one of the ladys who works there, at leasta phone number or email adress.
Unfortunatly the scratch looks pretty bad.. it's almost as if it's agrowth. A whole chunk of her cheek looks like hmm.. the bestanalogy I can think of is a hang nail. =( I'm prettyworried, I wish my vet didn't open so late tomorrow (notuntil 3)!

Thanks for the advice guys, at least just reading your responces helps.

I hope she'll be okay! That sounds really bad. Are there any other vets you could get her to more quickly?

Rabbits can be very picky when it comes to a friend. Is Steakneutered? For future reference, I've also found with minethat it's best to keep either a double fence with a few inches of spacein between or a solid barrier between unbonded bunnies.There's something about a cage wall/fence in between them that makesthem more territorial and they fight more.

She looks really little, but I don't know how to estimate herage. I do know that some breeders wean and sell their kits asyoung as 4 weeks of age. I often see 6-7 week old rabbits inthe pet stores here. A few places have laws against sellingrabbits that young, but it's very common where there aren'tlaws. What is a local scamps? Is that like ashelter?

Steak is neutered. She'll be spayedwhen she's old enough, I'm not exactly sure at what age it's best to dothat at.. With Steak I waited until he started showing signs ofagression before I took him in. I'd rather spay her rightaway to avoid her getting sexually agro.
I finally got to the vet's today. He tranced her and workedoff the dead skin with peroxide and anesthetic. I'm to cleanit with peroxide twice a day.. the doc said that it should healwell. It doesn't look nearly as bad anymore. Onenice thing, I watched the vet trance my rabbit and it seemed prettyeasy. I tried it tonight when I treated her wound and i wassucessful! Hopefully I can master that.. it will be veryhandy for cliping toenails!
Scamps is a chain store but each store is different. The onewhere I used to live only got animals from "specificdistributers". The scamps around where I live now gets theiranimals through people bringing them in. This is questionablefor the puppies they have, but I've seen people bringing in smallanimals that they breed. As I mentioned before I have soldthem some rats before. It's much more "local" than the otherscamps I've been to. I'll probably go there tomorrow to pickup some pet food so I think I'll try to find out some more informationthen. Then maybe I can make a bunny blog.
I still havn't been able to come up with a name for the littlesweetie.. I've only had her a weekish and I'm already in love though.
I'm thinking of looking up different Alaskan words for snow. Hopefully one of them suit my fancy.

Thanks for all the support and advice!

Latest posts

Back