Wet matted fur around one side of mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemony4

Reaction score
Hi all, so I took one of my rabbits to the vet yesterday to get her teeth checked. The last couple days I've noticed that around one side of her mouth and chin she has perpetual wetness and it's causing her fur to mat. I brushed it out a few times and even cut a bit but it's still just very wet all the time.

She is eating plenty just like normal

The vet sedated her to do a thorough oral exam and said her teeth are fine except for some very minor bruising in her mouth that might be the cause, her and her bonded partner never fight so maybe she hit her face on something?

Anyway has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm relieved nothing major was found in her exam but I'm not sure what to do if this continues. I'll keep brushing it out today, She is eating and drinking fine and her energy is great

Did the vet give you any meloxicam (nsaid) to give for the next few days until the bruising goes down? If not, maybe call and ask about picking some up. It may help.

Another thought, could it possibly not be drool but getting wet from drinking out of a water dish?

Yes they sent me home with meloxicam to give her for the next couple days. And I did think that it was from her dish for the first day or so until I touched it and it was really warm and the fur was all matted, maybe I was just alarmed because I'd never seen this before in the years that I've had her and she's always drank from a bowl.

I'd seen her wash her face too so I figured shed be getting any excess off with that

If it's from the bruising then you should know in a few days, as it will likely stop when the pain and inflammation subside.

My holland lop had wet fur around her mouth from the water bowl. It was being constantly wet and never drying so the fur eventually fell off. It grew back and I switched her to a water bottle instead, so it could also be the water bowl like other people mentioned.

Latest posts

Back