Wet fur under chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random531

Reaction score
Hello

I spotted wet skin on my 3 year old rabbit, about 1 month ago. At the time i didn't think that is was bad or anything. Now recently i got worried so i started researching, couldn't find anything. The closest that i got was teeth problems but i don't think thats the problem.

So to describe it, shes a big and overweight rabbit (we have put her on diet). She has a wet spot - not even underneath her mouth or on her chin but it is located on the front and pretty visable. Between his mounth and the spot, there is no direct connection from his mounth to the wet spot, his chin is dry. I started looking at it to see if the skin was infected but i couldn't even see the skin, since there was still dry furr between the wet part and his skin so i don't think that there is a problem. She acts normal when i touch it and i don't see anything wrong with his way of eating. He drinks out of a bowl.

What should i do? Drying the skin doesn't work really and is pretty hard since shes kinda afraid of us (not agressive luckily). Now i heard that i should cut it off so that the remaining skin can dry faster. I want it gone before the winter so that he doesn't have cold. He has always been outside btw, in the previous winters to. Oh and She has a sister with her, and there is nothing wrong with that one.

See normally i would've gone instantly to the vet but my parents say that i'm overreacting. Am i?

I hope you guys understand what i'm saying because english isn't my first language. Thanks already. And yes, it has always been the exact same spot for weeks. about 3cm x 1cm im guessing

Hello

I spotted wet skin on my 3 year old rabbit, about 1 month ago. At the time i didn't think that is was bad or anything. Now recently i got worried so i started researching, couldn't find anything. The closest that i got was teeth problems but i don't think thats the problem.

So to describe it, shes a big and overweight rabbit (we have put her on diet). She has a wet spot - not even underneath her mouth or on her chin but it is located on the front and pretty visable. Between his mounth and the spot, there is no direct connection from his mounth to the wet spot, his chin is dry. I started looking at it to see if the skin was infected but i couldn't even see the skin, since there was still dry furr between the wet part and his skin so i don't think that there is a problem. She acts normal when i touch it and i don't see anything wrong with his way of eating. He drinks out of a bowl.

What should i do? Drying the skin doesn't work really and is pretty hard since shes kinda afraid of us (not agressive luckily). Now i heard that i should cut it off so that the remaining skin can dry faster. I want it gone before the winter so that he doesn't have cold. He has always been outside btw, in the previous winters to. Oh and She has a sister with her, and there is nothing wrong with that one.

See normally i would've gone instantly to the vet but my parents say that i'm overreacting. Am i?

I hope you guys understand what i'm saying because english isn't my first language. Thanks already. And yes, it has always been the exact same spot for weeks. about 3cm x 1cm im guessing
-
dear random531,-sounds like an ongoing problem-this warrants an exam/radiograph from an exotic dvm-sincerely james waller

A photograph would help us to maybe see what might be going on.
Sorry, totally forgot. Here is a picture
Again, she hasn't changed since she has this (for about a month) has no pain when i touch it and theres nothing on the skin, it just feels like wet furr, theres even dry hair between this wet part and his skin. Thanks already.

The problem is that my parents don't want to go to the vet since our cats both got neutered and 1 got an operation which costed 100s of euros. If i can i want to treat him by myself.

(oh and she doesn't live in a small cage if you think this by this picture, she has 2 cages connected by an open run thats 5m long 2m wide and the doors are open 24/7 :p)

Attachments

• konijn.jpg
    konijn.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hello

If it just feels like water and doesn’t have a smell or colour it could just be when she goes for a drink in her bowl she’s dipping her fur into the water.

If it just feels like water and doesn’t have a smell or colour it could just be when she goes for a drink in her bowl she’s dipping her fur into the water.
Yeah thats what i was thinking, but i dried it up twice and it never goes away, the other rabbit doesn't have it. Could it be that it happens now because she gained alot of weight? She wasn't as heavy before this thing started. Wil this be a problem in the winter?

Yeah thats what i was thinking, but i dried it up twice and it never goes away, the other rabbit doesn't have it. Could it be that it happens now because she gained alot of weight? She wasn't as heavy before this thing started. Wil this be a problem in the winter?

You could try to switch her over to a water bottle. Water bottles stay cleaner longer and rabbits don’t ingest as much fur.

You could try to switch her over to a water bottle. Water bottles stay cleaner longer and rabbits don’t ingest as much fur.
The problem is that they don't know how to use it. We got them from my grandfather, and we quickly noticed that they did not know how it worked so we had to switch to a bowl.

It certainly could be because she is fat, and her roll of fat (dewlap) is dipping into the water, if you use a large bowl? It could also be that when she lies down, and the folds under her chin bunch up, her mouth is in contact with that bit of the chest, causing it to get wet from water after drinking/excess saliva. It will be a problem as it gets colder. You could try and use a bowl with less circumference and slightly taller, so she cant dip her chest in as much. E.g. spaniel bowls work well for this.
I personally don't like bottles because its is harder for rabbits to get as much water in one go so they don't drink as much (many studies have been done to show that rabbits drink more water if it is from a bowl, and given the choice of a bottle and a bowl, most choose a bowl).

It certainly could be because she is fat, and her roll of fat (dewlap) is dipping into the water, if you use a large bowl? It could also be that when she lies down, and the folds under her chin bunch up, her mouth is in contact with that bit of the chest, causing it to get wet from water after drinking/excess saliva. It will be a problem as it gets colder. You could try and use a bowl with less circumference and slightly taller, so she cant dip her chest in as much. E.g. spaniel bowls work well for this.
I personally don't like bottles because its is harder for rabbits to get as much water in one go so they don't drink as much (many studies have been done to show that rabbits drink more water if it is from a bowl, and given the choice of a bottle and a bowl, most choose a bowl).
I really hope that this is just the problem, thanks. I switched to a smaller bowl and hopefully it will help. If not i will try to get her inside during the winter, and then i will see once she has lost weight (she's on a diet) if nothing changes or if it gets worse in the meantime i will go to the vet.

dear theo,-the picture indicates the area of the dewlap,--if this is not water,or excessive grooming,-the only other thing would be a abcess,and requires attention,-sincerely james waller
Im almost 100% sure that this is not the case, i cant see anything diffrent on his skin and it doesn't stick out or hurt him or anything like that. Since it has been a month i think that i would've been able to have seen it by now. But thanks for the reply!

Update: after i changed the water bowl, it went away 2 days later. But the weird thing is that its now back, from nothing to alot in 1 day time. I don't know what to do anymore. Can it have to do something with the fact that he runs around in the garden while everything is very wet since the rain that fell the last few days?

My Bam Bam, May he Rest In Peace, my little man had a problem which you are describing. It came from drinking in his water bowl. I switched him to a water bottle, he amazingly went right to the water bottle to drink, and the problem went away.

Latest posts

Back