Wet bum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
I found my bunny like this today sitting in his pee with a wet bum and I’m super nervous. He hasn’t been flopping or binkying much lately. He’s eating and pooping but drinking a lot more than usual.

The vet checked his kidneys, liver, a rabbit disease panel, his stomach, and e. Caniculi. All came back normal.

He hasn’t been using his litter box well and I’m just not sure what this all can be. I’m going to go back to the vet but im wondering what there still is for him to test...

Attachments

• 5F5D5432-F027-4988-BBA2-4B4789A30C29.jpeg
    5F5D5432-F027-4988-BBA2-4B4789A30C29.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 3D3CE594-01B6-4DD9-9286-A2825CEF52C3.jpeg
    3D3CE594-01B6-4DD9-9286-A2825CEF52C3.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 6
I just asked a question on your other thread concerning this issue.

I had a thought of what you could try -- assuming it is not a medical issue. (You've had so much tested, I'm hoping it is not medical. Jenny might have ideas if it is.)

Anyway... my thought is that the soft floor of the cage could be causing him to potty wherever. Your rabbit may be seeing it the way some rabbits see a cage that is full of loose bedding -- as one big litter box.

I was thinking you could try putting a solid floor down on that bottom level of your cage. A sheet of rolled lino might do. Typically rabbits don't like to potty on solid surfaces. If the bottom level were all lino and then you had the litter box(es) filled with your wood pellets and hay, then maybe he'd start getting the idea.

If your Home Depot doesn't have the wood pellets, you could check Lowes. You could also search horse bedding wood pellets at feed stores like Chestnut Vale Feed (just found with random search):
https://chestnutvalefeed.net/catalog/product/42990/horse-bedding-pellets-30or
https://www.ruralking.com/planetwise-equine-fresh-pellet-bedding-40lb-equine-fresh-4#

Hi Gelly, I've seen your latest threads and your setup and I think it can be related to stress maybe visiting vets and all medications etc, it can be sort of depression or something. I also think your setup is very strict and more like display setup, maybe he doesn't feel safe and private there, maybe I am wrong just got this impression.

What I would do I would probably get a smaller crate like a travel crate just size of a litterbox so all his floor is his litterbox, absorbing layer (wood or recycled paper pellets) underneath and a good layer of hay on top, I know he also had sore hocks so I would go with recycled paper pellets they are softer, or mix wood pellets with shavings, hay n top as well. I wouldn't use any training pads I see now in there.

So I would make this cosy little place for him just like his toilet size full of soft hay and covered with a blanket from top and 3 sides so only one side front is open, also can be half covered so he can feel privacy. I would let him be in there for a week only opening door for an hour same time every day if he wants to go out, if not I wouldn't force him, just leave the door open and close after one hour.

Then you just leave him in there only coming twice a day morning and evening to feed and top up his hay, change water, just say hi and smile and go away.

With proper setup of his toilet pellets underneath and hay on top you will need to change his toilet once a week, if you see it is soiled sooner then after 3-4 days. don't worry he will be fine, just leave him be and you will see in a couple days how it goes, maybe he had too much attention with all his health visits and also can feel your panic.

I find that leaving them like I described makes them feel safer when they get that no one is approaching them in their safe place so they can relax better.

Also sore hocks should go away during that week without any medication since he will be on soft hay all the time and there's absorbing layer underneath so he will stay dry all the time.

After one or two weeks of staying in this covered safe toilet you will want to rethink your setup and he will get more attached to his cosy toilet maybe now it is not attractive enough to him.

Last edited:
I just asked a question on your other thread concerning this issue.

I had a thought of what you could try -- assuming it is not a medical issue. (You've had so much tested, I'm hoping it is not medical. Jenny might have ideas if it is.)

Anyway... my thought is that the soft floor of the cage could be causing him to potty wherever. Your rabbit may be seeing it the way some rabbits see a cage that is full of loose bedding -- as one big litter box.

I was thinking you could try putting a solid floor down on that bottom level of your cage. A sheet of rolled lino might do. Typically rabbits don't like to potty on solid surfaces. If the bottom level were all lino and then you had the litter box(es) filled with your wood pellets and hay, then maybe he'd start getting the idea.

If your Home Depot doesn't have the wood pellets, you could check Lowes. You could also search horse bedding wood pellets at feed stores like Chestnut Vale Feed (just found with random search):
https://chestnutvalefeed.net/catalog/product/42990/horse-bedding-pellets-30or
https://www.ruralking.com/planetwise-equine-fresh-pellet-bedding-40lb-equine-fresh-4#
Wood pellets are my favorite. We use horse bedding. That photo I posted only had pee pads because my local hardware ran out but we’ve picked up a new bag since.

My flooring is yoga mat lined with 2 layers of absorbent U-Haul and covered in a layer of fleece. The purpose of the softness is to prevent his hocks from getting worse. Overall, I feel the worst bunny mom in the world. Was thinking to maybe try puzzle mats? I’m nervous he might chew them, though. The wet bum does lead me to think this is medical but I’m stressed beyond because I don’t even know what else the vet could do...

Hi Gelly, I've seen your latest threads and your setup and I think it can be related to stress maybe visiting vets and all medications etc, it can be sort of depression or something. I also think your setup is very strict and more like display setup, maybe he doesn't feel safe and private there, maybe I am wrong just got this impression.

What I would do I would probably get a smaller crate like a travel crate just size of a litterbox so all his floor is his litterbox, absorbing layer (wood or recycled paper pellets) underneath and a good layer of hay on top, I know he also had sore hocks so I would go with recycled paper pellets they are softer, or mix wood pellets with shavings, hay n top as well. I wouldn't use any training pads I see now in there.

So I would make this cosy little place for him just like his toilet size full of soft hay and covered with a blanket from top and 3 sides so only one side front is open, also can be half covered so he can feel privacy. I would let him be in there for a week only opening door for an hour same time every day if he wants to go out, if not I wouldn't force him, just leave the door open and close after one hour.

Then you just leave him in there only coming twice a day morning and evening to feed and top up his hay, change water, just say hi and smile and go away.

With proper setup of his toilet pellets underneath and hay on top you will need to change his toilet once a week, if you see it is soiled sooner then after 3-4 days. don't worry he will be fine, just leave him be and you will see in a couple days how it goes, maybe he had too much attention with all his health visits and also can feel your panic.

I find that leaving them like I described makes them feel safer when they get that no one is approaching them in their safe place so they can relax better.

Also sore hocks should go away during that week without any medication since he will be on soft hay all the time and there's absorbing layer underneath so he will stay dry all the time.

After one or two weeks of staying in this covered safe toilet you will want to rethink your setup and he will get more attached to his cosy toilet maybe now it is not attractive enough to him.
This sounds like an interesting idea. I feel so bad, I hope he isn’t stressed. I sense that he is, though. This all started when he had some GI stasis and it just spiraled from there.

Can you share a picture of what you mean by this setup? I would definitely give it a try. How would you recommend improving my current set up? Thanks for your help ☺️

This sounds like an interesting idea. I feel so bad, I hope he isn’t stressed. I sense that he is, though. This all started when he had some GI stasis and it just spiraled from there.

Can you share a picture of what you mean by this setup? I would definitely give it a try. How would you recommend improving my current set up? Thanks for your help ☺
Will try to take some pics later to post on here.

You don't have to feel bad, it wasn't your fault firstly, and secondly, you need to feel good and confident all the time because when you feel bad he will feel that and won't feel good either so you are someone who is very important person in his life, you are his goddess and you must feel good, and never start panicking stress is never good.

I'll get some pics for you and we'll try to sort it out ;)

@zuppa @Blue eyes i know it’s probably stressing him out even more but I decided to bring him in to see the vet. They just took him inside. They were able to squeeze me in for an appointment today or I would’ve had to wait until next week. As @zuppa already knows, I’m an extremely anxious person when it comes to the health of those in my care. While some people on this forum have the issue of not going to see the vet when they should, I probably need a punch card at this point.

I am very similar to you. The first sign of illness at we’re at the vet. If everything comes out clear, definitely hold of taking him to the vet. Let him calm down and destress. You can probably put a towel or peepad in the area that he keeps peeing and getting wet

@zuppa @Blue eyes i know it’s probably stressing him out even more but I decided to bring him in to see the vet. They just took him inside. They were able to squeeze me in for an appointment today or I would’ve had to wait until next week. As @zuppa already knows, I’m an extremely anxious person when it comes to the health of those in my care. While some people on this forum have the issue of not going to see the vet when they should, I probably need a punch card at this point.
Well you know your situation better and you decide, we can only suggest here. Hopefully he will get better soon please keep us updated, good luck!

Well you know your situation better and you decide, we can only suggest here. Hopefully he will get better soon please keep us updated, good luck!
I am very similar to you. The first sign of illness at we’re at the vet. If everything comes out clear, definitely hold of taking him to the vet. Let him calm down and destress. You can probably put a towel or peepad in the area that he keeps peeing and getting wet
So our vets are really sweet and they saw him for no charge. Dr. said he could be stressed since were always home or possibly change in weather... he also said it could be something more. He told me there’s really no need to do invasive testing anymore since he’s eating and pooping. They wanted to take urine for a urinalysis to check for a UTI but we waited for like an hour and this bun would not pee. He was eating and pooping like a champ though. So they sent him home with us. He also offered me Xanax (as a joke) and told me to just relax lol.

Latest posts

Back