Were you ever nervous?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graceofangels

Reaction score
Just a random question: Were you ever scared that you wouldn't be able to take care of a bunny? I was before I got one. I thought I would do something to hurt her accidentally. I was always scared that I would end up hating it. Did anyone else have fears?

Hmmm, I wasn't scared that I would hurt her. But I was a bit nervous of how my 3 year old son would obey the "rules" of being around Agnes and how he would adapt to a bunny.....

Luckily he has been SO loving and caring towards her and Agnes has been such a joy. I don't think either one of us could love her more.

The only thing that has surprised me is how much I have fallen in love with her. I remember how much I loved my dog that we had to put down a few years ago and I didn't think I would bond with Agnes like that but oh my goodness, I love my bun SO much. :)

It was either me or the bunny would most likely be dead, so no.

BunBun showed up in my backyard terrified of people. First time that I ever heard the dying rabbit scream. Sounded like someone was murdering a woman.

Booger was tossed out of his house and was living across the street by someone's porch. A three pound house rabbit dosn't have much chance in an area with coyotes.

And years ago, Bunny was living in the woods before I snagged him.

The lads seem to be happy now.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/tKAO2NFB0qQ&feature=plcp&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

when I first got honey i was scared she would bite me. After a month of having her i was convinced she was the sweetest bunny and would probably never bite anyone.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm still nervous that I'm gonna do something so wrong that she'll end up sick or something. What if i Don't lock the cage up tightly, what if I don't pay close enough attention to what she's doing and she electrocutes herself by chewing on an outlet.

I've never been responsible for anything other than a fish. I had dogs growing up, but as a kid, i feel like its different. I know, I'm just crazy. lol.

Luckily Shya was my first bun and she's indestructible. I learned the hard way when Teddy died from GI stasis. I was a little nervous when we got the baby but I was SO prepared and he's good. It took weeks of deliberation to take on Franklin though. It would keep me up at night. Are we the right family for him? Do I have enough money to take another member into the herd? Do I want to move another half dozen times with an extra body? What's worse is his previous owner is on this forum. So not only do I have myself to contend with I'm in double doo doo with Sarah if anything happens to him!

I worry about it all the time, because next year I'll be going off to college, and as much as I hate it, I might end up having to live at home just so that I can continue to care for Teddy. But I know that I would sooner let myself starve than my sweet girl, so I'm more worried for my own well-being than hers really. :)

I actually had quite a big fear of rabbits, but my auntie got one and i started seeing it everyday so my fear somehow stopped and i loved her bunny, then my auntie got another one and i realised i had no fear of them, so after 3 years with my aunties bunnies i asked my dad for one, i had to beg for ages though! Then we got Alice :) But a few days before picking her up i got scared incase i for some reason started getting my phobia back again. But thankfully i didn't and now i have 5 bunnies, and hope to adopt some in the future :)

I unfortunately did too good of a job explaining to my husband that rabbits are fragile. Now he's afraid to pick them up that he will break them. I'm thrilled that Sophie will just jump up in our laps and DEMAND to be pet if he likes it or not. He is quite smitten with Sophie so I encourage her being a daddy's girl. She is also 10 pounds so he isn't quite as nervous with her (he's a big guy). Panda is also becoming quite the lap hopper which is nice.

Joshua will love on the other buns if I pick them up and put them in his lap but he freaks out if they get too squirmy or dig (asking to get down) so I make sure to stay. Only Sophie and Panda will hop down on their own as well. The others will scratch your arm to ask to be put down.

I guess it is better to have him extra cautious rather then hurt them, but he's such a gentle man I couldn't see him ever hurting one of them even on accident.

graceofangels wrote:
I'm not gonna lie. I'm still nervous that I'm gonna do something so wrong that she'll end up sick or something. What if i Don't lock the cage up tightly, what if I don't pay close enough attention to what she's doing and she electrocutes herself by chewing on an outlet.
If not for you that rabbit would most likely be dead already. You do the best that you can, and if something unfortunate happens, you learn from it and go give another bunny a chance for a life.

Whatever happens, your rabbit has a human to care for it and look out for it. That is more than 95%+ of rabbits have, which are raised in cages and dead before they are 6 months old.

The fact is, your bunny is one of the lucky ones. Enjoy your time together.

Yes...I did a lot of reading and my first rabbit was a great teacher:) I still worry that I don't know enough and don't completely trust the vets in this area. That's why I'm really glad I found this site. At last there's a place to turn to for support!

I have always been nervous around picking them up...Scout didn't want to be picked up but she would jump in my lap and arms and follow me anywhere. I'm trying to practice more with my Harvey and Halo and they don't mind it as much. But if they start to struggle, I want to put them down. Afraid to hurt them because they're so small. Hopefully, I'll get better:)

I worry about her getting electrocuted if she chews on a plugged up cord (obviously these are out of her reach, but she's fast and sneaky and I could see her getting into a non-bunny-proofed room and making her way too a plugged in cord). I also worry about her pulling stuff off and it falling on her. After worrying obsessively for a week, I had my bookshelf latched onto my wall.

Latest posts

Back